Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Camera

Hello
I'm looking to buy a new camera. I've decided to move on from the point and shoot and go for an SLR digital. I've had my eye on the Nikon D40X 10 mp. and the Nikon D40 which is a 6mp. I won't be blowing up and pictures larger than 8x10. Has anyone used any of these two cameras? The reviews that I have read have all been good as far as picture quality and ease to use, but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has had any experience with them.
Thanks
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Im not sure how hung up you are on a Nikon product but I recently scored a mega deal on craigslist for a Canon Dig Rebel XT 8 meg with an extra 75-300 AF lense, external flash, 1 gig card, infrared remote, and extended battery body w/ AA bat adapter. Price was $550. I done the math and it was over $1600 worth of gear if I went to the camera store and bought the same stuff. It takes incredible pics and Im having a blast with it.

Keep an eye out on craigslist in your area. Lots of people buy DSLR's along with a bunch of doodads and then in a year or two when new stuff comes out they dump the bundle and do it all over again. If your an e-bay person they also generally have bundles of stuff people are selling. I liked the craigslist deal because I got to meet the person selling and handle everything in person prior to money changing hands.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Haven't used those specific cameras, but I truly don't think that anything above 5 or 6 megapixels isn't good for very much except "mine's bigger than yours" bragging rights.

Unless you're making poster-size prints, stick with the smaller files and get more shots on your memory card.

Most of the mid-priced name brand cameras perform admirably these days. Just remember always, "In the beginning, there was glass." Without good lens(es), not much else matters.

And if you haven't done it already, your most valuable accessory with your new camera could be a Photoshop course at your local community college or adult education program.
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Admiral

I don't know a lot about cameras but I have a Cannon power shot S2 IS 5.2 Mega Pixels. This camera is easy to use and takes great pictures. below are a couple of pictures my hubby took with this camera.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

I agree with Katlady and AR. You dont need more than a 5-6 megapixel camera, although all the newer ones are 7 megapixel. Also a mid priced digital gives excellent quality these days. Canon still rates number one, and Nikon comes in a close second. I am lucky enough to have several, I love my canon elph the best as it is small and I carry it every where. I have a new one now that I am testing. I was given two of them ( canons) to test rate and review. I get to keep them at the end............The elph is point and shoot with some manual features, great to just have, the Power shots offer alot more manual functions, which I do use when I want to do somethig specific. The SLR is wonderful especially if it is a hobby, and you can go off on your own and shoot pics, but it is not a good every day camera........and you will miss I think many candid shots and spontaneous shots with this bulkier camera, no question beautiful shots, but staged shots......thats only my expierience, I take alot of pics, the it is not unusual for me to shoot over 100 pics a day when away......and I am always taking pics at home......
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Haven't used those specific cameras, but I truly don't think that anything above 5 or 6 megapixels isn't good for very much except "mine's bigger than yours" bragging rights.

Unless you're making poster-size prints, stick with the smaller files and get more shots on your memory card.

Most of the mid-priced name brand cameras perform admirably these days. Just remember always, "In the beginning, there was glass." Without good lens(es), not much else matters.

And if you haven't done it already, your most valuable accessory with your new camera could be a Photoshop course at your local community college or adult education program.
Hey AR..

He he the guy I bought my camera from is from Woodbridge.

BTW I can get like 256 pics on my 1 gig card set on max jpeg no RAW.

As far as resolution its not about blowing up pics as it is about cropping and adjusting ones, so bigger can be better. It allows way more flexability after the fact.

But yes point and shoot is better for shoot from the hip pics.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Russell:

That's funny.

Yes, of course you're right that it makes a difference if you're going to do heavy cropping. But the lenses are getting so good now (for relatively cheap money) that a reasonable optical zoom should solve a lot of those problems. If it's not an action shot, and if I'm not sure, I tend to shoot a couple different focal lengths, as I imagine you do.
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the replies. I have two Casio's point and shoot. One is a 6 mp and the other is a 7mp. The 7mp was accidently dropped from about 4-5 inches onto a carpeted floor while taking a picture. Lens is now stuck and will not retract. Repair cost $150 plus S&H. The 6 mp just stopped working, will not turn on, charged battery, replaced battery with no luck. The Casio takes great picture in good daylight but lousy pictures with low light. That was one reason I decided to go with the SLR. I guess I will shop around a little bit more.
Thanks for all your input, and Katlady, those are really nice pictures!
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've used the Nikon D 70 for several years now. Just added a telephoto lens for it last year. It's a bit bulky, but I do like the quality and ease of use.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/