Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
First Mate

Default My REAL first cruise

I have been misleading all you fine folks. As my mom pointed out today, my first time on a ship was in October of 1953. I was 6-years-old and the ship was the USNS Frederick Funston. We sailed from Seattle to Adak, Alaska and on to Yokohama, Japan. And a year later we made the same trip back the other way on the same ship. The Frederick Funston was a C-3 type ship with an overall length of 492 ft. and gross weight of 11,969 tons. Her cruising speed was 16.5 knots. She was built in 1942 and served in both the Pacific and European theaters during WWII. The trip was supposed to take 9 days, but we ran into a typhoon and had to detour around it leading to a trip of 15 days. The trip back was uneventful and on time. As you may imagine, I don't remember a lot of this, but my mom says I was very popular with the crew as I was well-behaved and one of the few people on board who was not vilely seasick. I evidently acquired my sea legs very early on!
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Arkiegal:

There are a great many that attained their sea legs aboard a navy vessel at a very young age. My sister came over, from England on the, Liberty Ship, SS Marine Falcon.

Here is a picture of the USNS Fredrick Funston:

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Man am I glad that cruiseships have changed a lot over the years. :-)

Thanks for sharing that little piece of your life, Arkiegal. That was interesting.

Phyll
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Admiral

I am glad they have changed as well

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiegal
I have been misleading all you fine folks. As my mom pointed out today, my first time on a ship was in October of 1953. I was 6-years-old and the ship was the USNS Frederick Funston. We sailed from Seattle to Adak, Alaska and on to Yokohama, Japan. And a year later we made the same trip back the other way on the same ship. The Frederick Funston was a C-3 type ship with an overall length of 492 ft. and gross weight of 11,969 tons. Her cruising speed was 16.5 knots. She was built in 1942 and served in both the Pacific and European theaters during WWII. The trip was supposed to take 9 days, but we ran into a typhoon and had to detour around it leading to a trip of 15 days. The trip back was uneventful and on time. As you may imagine, I don't remember a lot of this, but my mom says I was very popular with the crew as I was well-behaved and one of the few people on board who was not vilely seasick. I evidently acquired my sea legs very early on!
This was my first and only "cruise" so far....The "TOFUA"

There is something to be said about the older ships as they all had their own personalities?

I was 4 years old in 1969 while on this ship and I remember heaps, including throwing "jaffa" lollies down to some crew members in the forward "HOLD" rearranging cargo at the time.

"arkiegal", did you lose your "Return" key?
I must have also gained my sealegs early

Great times and great memories.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!