Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Default ??? Greece & Croatia excursions et al

We will be cruising the Greek Isles Thanksgiving week leaving from Venice, Italy. We have a few questions from our fellow cruisemates:

Should we use R.C.C.L. transfers to the ship? Is it difficult to make the pier connection on our own? Our plane arrives at 9:35 A.M. the day of the cruise and we are hoping flights are timely. (UGH!) We usually like to arrive at least one day early and are breaking our rule about allowing for flight schedule problems.(Wish us luck!)

Do any of you have suggestions for excursions at the following ports?
Mykonos, Piraeus, Katakolon, Corfu, & Split? We prefer using private drivers if they are not too expensive. Or we are willing to rent cars if this is doable for adventurous travelers that speak no Greek or Croatian. We will take tours when they are a must, but really hate long boring bus rides and choose to avoid them whenever possible.

We also have a full day in Venice after the cruise and are very open to suggestions for "must-sees." great restaurants, etc.

We both thank you all in advance for your suggestions and expertise.
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Chuck,

We did the Greek Islands in May, but didn't stop in Croatia.

In Greece we either found an english speaking guide/driver at the port, or rented a car. Both with no problems, and rather inexpensively. I don't think a ship's tour is necessary in the islands.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Thanks Kuki! That is very helpful. We much prefer doing our own touring and it is nice to know it is A.O.K. there.
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Captain

We had a stop in Dubrovnik, Croatia on our September sailing. We did a ship sponsored tour because I drug my feet and wasn't able to get in with a group from the boards who had planned a private tour. We went to a country house in Koval (?). The drive there was about an hour and quite scenic, especially along the coast - fabulous but I warn you, if you get car sick you might want to stay in the city. The roads were winding and had no guard rails along sheet cliffs along the sea. Beautiful but when you looked out the bus window you could see straight down I've never had a panic attack but several people on the bus had their faces buried in their laps and were hyperventilating.

At the farm house we had a tour of the old olive pressing area and sampled a local liquour - this stuff will take the enamel off your teeth! Wow! Then we had a local meal and were entertained by local musicians, who began by playing great Croatian music on guitar and accordian and by the end we were singing "New York, New York", "Old Suzanna" "You are My Sunshine" and other camp fire songs. Sounds hokey, but it was fun. On return we were dropped in town center and had an hour and a half to roam the town. We could return on the bus or get a cab back to the pier. The traffic in downtown is awful. We would have had a full 30 minutes more if they would have let us walk the last 8 blocks to the town gates. The view from their of the castle is impressive and the waters are spectacular.

If you can arrange for a private driver I would suggest that. Shouldn't be hard to find, especially on the boards.

Enjoy Croatia, we certainly did.