Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Arkiegirl,
Glad to hear you enjoy the Stephanie Plum series. I grew up in Trenton NJ and it cracks me up to read of her exploits in my old hometown.
Angela Z.
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Captain

i like julie garwood,catherine coulter,amanda quick and lisa kleypas
i like there books i have alot of them i can't name them all
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy
Three excellent books I recently read are:

"Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen (very entertaining)
"The Kite Runner" by Hosseni
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Hosseini

Cindy
"Water for Elephants"/Sara Gruen~ great book.
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Admiral

since Luanne and I are always on the look out for new books to read. 8) .if you can give a brief description about the book that will help us expand our reading list..thank you in advance
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

A brief description of the book, "Water for Elephants":

A thrilling, romantic story set in a traveling circus in the 1930's. It has everything in it - love, murder, drama, humor and unusual characters. It is a very original story that will make you laugh and cry. When reading it, I just couldn't put this book down cause I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

Cindy
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I can see we are all voracious readers here, and yayayaya, how great is that..!! My question to you all is, if you start a book, do you feel compelled to finish it? When do you give it up and called it quits?

For most of my reading life I HAD to finish a book..made NO sense at all. Just a few years ago, I finally decided, my time was worth more than a crummy book.

As I walked up the stairs in the library the other day, I glanced at a book as I walked, and said, hmmm..that one looks good, only to realize I had it at home, and unread!

Does the cover, or cover color, influence you at all, as you move down the shelves? Since I collect mysteries set in Florida, if I spot a pink or tropical green book, it always makes me stop and check. Titles too, can be a turn off, or a grabber.

So what are your reading habits?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Very good question Trip.

I can't stand not finishing a book. It drives me nuts, but I have known to go to the end of the book, just to see the out come.

I have several problems with reading.

I can't reread a book. I don't even read the first chapter that you see of an up coming book, because once I get the book, it feels like I have read it before.

I also read to much. I have a hard time remembering what I have read, and what I haven't.

As most of you know, my speciality is Special Reading, which is a program to teach other wise smart kids to read, who for one reason or another, have a difficult time doing so. My favorite is Autism kids.

Because of this, I have a hard time turning off the program in my head, in order to read like I normally would.

I am teased about always having a book on hand. I read in traffic, in the office, waiting in line at the grocery, etc.

I have also started giving my books to our local Library. They are thrilled when I show up, in fact I have another stack that needs to be taken over there. We have many retired, on a fixed income, as well as young people who are just starting out and don't make much money, so I feel like I am helping them to read like everyone else, but it not costing them to do so.

If you are reading this, and wonder what the excitement is about, pick up a book, and get in on the action.

If you have trouble reading, please check out your local organizations, for help in better reading. You are never to old to learn.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Admiral

just another reason why I love you Luanne..we think alot alike

if I lose interest half way thru a book, I place it on a special shelf in my library and a couple months later, will pick it up and finish it...

my selection of which book to read next will vary ..I have always read two books at once, one is non fiction or history, the other is fiction and it has to have a "twist"...some of my best leads comes from the many magazines that I subscribe to and believe it or not some of the very best leads comes from Playboy Magazine and GQ and Esquire..also now, I follow the cruisemates boards since this topic comes up about pretty often which is why I request alittle summary to "peak my interest"

I removed the 2nd tv out of my bedroom years ago and will read and listen to jazz every night when I retire for the evening

my parents instill the love of reading to all of their children as a way for poor people to be connected to the world..I have been blessed to be able to see most of the world as has my son so our reading becomes even more exciting

during Katrina when we had no power for 9 straight days I read alot during the day..it kept my mind of 150 mph winds and no lights, a/c or power..it was a "safe" place to take my mind
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy
A brief description of the book, "Water for Elephants":

A thrilling, romantic story set in a traveling circus in the 1930's. It has everything in it - love, murder, drama, humor and unusual characters. It is a very original story that will make you laugh and cry. When reading it, I just couldn't put this book down cause I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

Cindy
I took this book along with me on my cruise.....silly me, why did I even think I would have time to read, so it was brought home.....unread. I want to read it after I finish "The Zookeeper's Wife".
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

I always try to finish a book. There is only one recently that I had gotten and just could not finish it. It was such a poorly written book. I had the next one in line to go with it as it was a aseries but I refused to open it and returned them both to the library.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Luanne and Venice,
When our kids were little I was the wierd mom who said "no gameboys, go read a book". Both of our kids are and always have been big readers and didn't really suffer any social stigma from not being hooked on a game.....they could actually converse with adults! I will always think of that as one of my greatest accomplishments.
Angela Z.
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Admiral

One of my favorite authors of all time is Elisabeth Olgivie - she writes stories from the coast of Maine - I love her settings. I don't think she has published anything new in years, her books are hard to find. Sometimes I find them on Ebay and get them if they are reasonably priced. A couple of her series are available from Down East Press, and I have those.

You sit down with her book, with a "mug up" and are transported to small island living/coastal living.

Was just wondering if any of you have ever read her work. My sister is also a fan. The only other lady who I knew that was a fan was the wife of someone I worked with at school. So nice to visit with someone about the books, and swap them back and forth. Sadly she died a couple of years ago, so that fun has come to and end.
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Angela, you should be very proud, you have given your children the gift of reading which will last them a life time

Luanne and my mother tricked us into reading so we would not ask for gameboys (or girls)
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Admiral

I have a confession. My kids hate to read. I guess it comes from Jim's side of the family!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM
First Mate

Trip, since you like mysterys set in FL, I hope you have found the Orchid Beach series by Stuart Woods. He is a prolific writer so just look for the ones with Orchid in the title. Except for Iron Orchid which takes the heroine out of Florida - big mistake IMHO!
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Thanks Arkie, I adore Stuart Woods, he has me from page one..One the way to Texas, for my Sept cruise, I read Fresh Disasters, and I am about to order his newest one with Holly, Shoot Him If He Runs!

A lot of the authors I read, I have been in contact with. When I emailed Stuart, he asked me if I was Linda Purl, the actress. I said, I wish:) This guy, along with James Patterson, are the fastest writers I know.

Have your read Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton, Linda Barnes, Barbara Parker, Edna Buchanan, Elaine Viets, or Nancy Cohen? All these wonderful female authors are on my watch list. Nancy Cohen sent me an advance copy of her new book Killer Knots, a mystery set on a cruise ship, its a great read.

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
First Mate

Trip, I really prefer Kathy Reichs to Patricia Cornwell. Also I like Monica Ferris because I am a needleworker. As an animal lover I am crazy for Rita Mae Brown's Sneaky Pie series and I like the fox hunt series even better. Maybe it's my age, but you have to love a series where the heroine is in her 70s.
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Arkie I agree, and Rita Lakin has a series set at a south Florida condo, where they have a whole pack of "older" sleuths, who find lots of trouble and mayhem in there condo..One is called, Getting Old is Murder

A similiar series, which is a fun read is by Frank Cerabino, One of his is called Shady Palms.

If it has a palm tree in it, I can sniff if out;):)

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
First Mate

Oh Trip! I forgot to mention the Ann George Southern Sisters series about the two sisters who live in Birmingham,AL. Funny, funny, funny...... especially "Murder Boogies With Elvis". And Sara Shankman has a fabulous series set in several Southern locales.
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Admiral

I have read many Anne George..those 2 sisters are my kinda gals:) I think she has passed away, so no more:(

Old October 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Admiral

Thanks Venice! We're very proud of both of our kids!
Angela Z.
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Passenger

I'm currently reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Kind of like Confidential - makes you not want to buy any meat products. lol

Before that read Lisey's Story by Stephen King and the last Harry Potter. In the middle of Alan Alda's autobiography which is very interesting and funny, but lent it to my Dad when he had jury duty.

I've only stopped reading a book a few times - David Copperfield by Dickens was the only book I used Cliff's Notes for in high school. Booooriiing - and this from someone who loves to read. the other book was Ivanhoe, which I tried to read a few years ago.

Love Janet Evanovich, enjoyed Sara Gruen's books (Riding Lessons is good too).

Trip, and anyone else who likes quirky mysteries set in FL, try reading Carl Hiaasen's books. Funky and funny, and always have a message of conservation in them too. Try Lucky You or Stormy Weather.

Gonna have to write down some of these suggestions for my cruise next month!

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Admiral

when my son and grandson come to visit..my son always manages to "borrow" a book from the den but then leaves one that he wants me to read..my grandson just goes straight to my computer to play his games and sing his songs..got to work on the grandson to make sure he understands why his father and I love to read books
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Admiral

My nose is always in a book at home, and I spend a lot of time in bookstores looking for the next one. I always take a book with me on a cruise but find I rarely open it because I'm so busy with other activities.

I do have some unfinished books because after starting them, I found them to be boring. Now before I buy a book, I go online to Barnesandnoble.com to read an excerpt from it - or read the first chapter in the bookstore to see if it grabs my interest. I love all different types of fiction, memoirs and biographies. The book I am reading now was written a long time ago: "The Winthrop Woman" by Anya Seton. It is a historical novel that starts out in Puritan England in the 17th Century and moves across to the New World and the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and Connecticut. It is 638 pages long, but once I started reading it a couple of days ago, I haven't been able to put it down.

Cindy (so many books - so little time)
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Ms Marvel, thanks, Carl has been a fave for years. Cindy I have found the way for me to have several things going is, to have books on tape on in the car. I tried it years ago, and said not for me...about a year ago, I tried it again and I am so hooked, I can't telll you.

I am listening to Barbara parker now, have James Patterson waiting, and I so enjoyed hearing Carl's books read..

And I agree, so many, so little time, yet I buy more, and go to the library too, so it's all my fault;)

Old October 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Familiar Face

Default Book set in cruise destination?

Have any of you readers managed to bring along books either set in or about one of your cruise destinations?

We usually at least try to bring along or purchase locally books by local authors.

Ruth
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Admiral

I bought the book about Rose Hill in Jamaica. It was a tear jerker, and I didn't finish it until I got home, and then wanted to go back to see for myself.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Familiar Face

Default Who is the author?

I'm curious Luanne. The only similar title I could find on line was For the Roses, a story of the Old West. Is this the one you mean or is their a Rose Hill set in Jamaica?

I'm finishing up a 700 page book we picked up in Thailand, Four Reigns.

It's a fantastic piece of historical fiction which I wish I'd read before our visit. But it's one of those books not easily purchased in North America. And we were just too busy while there for me to get it read. (This was a land adventure and not a more relaxing cruise holiday.)

Ruth
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Ruth, I am so sorry. Let me try this again.

The title is "The White Witch of RoseHall"

author is Herbert G de Lisser

It was written in 1958

I purchased my copy in the cruise terminal in Montego Bay Jamaica.

When you look on the Carnival site for that port, you will see tours to Rose Hall. Don't pick the resort/golf course, but the house tour.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008