Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks Luanne

Thanks Luanne, the new title makes sense. I'm going to file the title in a Word document should we ever book a Caribbean cruise which stops in Jamaica.

Our winter cruise is to Hawaii and French Polynesia and I haven't yet been to the library or on line to see what's out there. I really like historical fiction. Maybe someone in this thread could recommend a book or two.

Let me suggest a brand new Canadian book set in Vancouver -- a perfect choice for an Alaskan cruise with a stop in Vancouver's Chinatown.

It's End of East by Jen Sookfong Lee, a first novel for her. It traces the family of a Chinese immigrant in the early 1900s to modern Vancouver. Naturally it's set in Chinatown -- a great read.

Ruth
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In the style section of the Times yesterday, they showed womens wallets, made out of vintage book covers, pricey and cute though:)

Another book that sounds good, is One Drop, by Bliss Broyard...I will see if the library has this one.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default One Drop

One Drop does sound good from the reviews I quickly scanned. I'll have to wait until it's out in paperback, as I just couldn't stand to leave a hard covered book behind or in the cruise library for trading.

I have the reviews bookmarked.

A fellow reader,

Ruth
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: One Drop

Work:

Financial Shenanigans (Second Edition) by Howard Schilit. "How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks and Frauds in Financial Reports" - a book only an auditor could find interesting.

Play:

Spontaneous Tourism by Jamie Samans. "Everything you need to know to start seeing the world one weekend at a time." - I bow to the master speed tourist. 8) That said, I just found a way to do Australia from Texas in 48 hours for under $2,000.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Jimmy Buffett's A Salty Piece of Land.

Great (as usual) fun in the tropics.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Trip,
I love the Elaine Viets Dead End Job mysteries, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who reads them, I've never heard anyone else mention them. Another easy reading mystery series is the Bubbles books by Sarah Strohmeyer. I don't remember the author's name, but there is a series of "Bottom Dollar" books that are light, easy and fun. For those Carl Hiassen fans, have any of you read Tim Dorsey? Very similar. I also enjoy mysteries by Tami Hoag and Tess Gerritsen, although they are pretty gruesome in parts. Another favorite is Haven Kimmel, she has a couple of funny and poinant autobiographical books - A Girl Called Zippy and She Got Up Off the Couch, also some novels that are good.

Gosh, I love books!

Susan
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Susan, did you know Elaine had a stroke last summer? She recently went back on her book tour...She has a website, which is interesting...Check our Nancy J Cohen, you will enjoy as well, since you enjoy Elaine... and also Laura Bradley....I swear in another life I was a librarian;):)

If you pm me I will send you some great sites!

Old October 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I just finished Rosie's new book. In a way I am glad I read it, and in a way, I wish I had not. It was a waste of money for one thing, and it was, Believe it or not, without an editor, which she admits is true.

She also has mental problems. It would have been better in an interview, instead of wasting people's money on a book, that was so short, I read it in 3 hours.

Now on to real books.....
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Luanne, the other book she wrote, was a total waste of my time and money as well..and I like her;)

Old October 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Luanne, I love Rosie and just bought her new book. I started it and agree totally with you. Waste of money and time. I read a couple of chapters and went back to the Jonathan Kellerman I had been reading. I will probably finish the Rosie book at some point although it just seemed like a lot of disconnected rambling to me.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

It made me very sad for her, and her family. I also went to her blog, because part of the book is nothing but quotes from her blog, and that is even sadder. She has people on there asking her advice about continuing with their lives. This to me should be left up to a professional, and not someone who has so many problems herself.

If you are planning on buying the book, trust me when we say that it is a waste of time, and money.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 13th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I'm reading

...The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East and Where's Bin Laden?; the latter is like a series of "Where's Waldo" games. There are a series of scenes, each spread across the seam between two pages, including Dizzyland, California, U.S.A.; Sydney, Australia; and Barcelona, Spain. Each scene contains certain people (such as "Bin Baby", his Ladketeers, and NSA Agent Dorsch and Patty Furst) and items (such as a scimitar, a landmine, a machine gun and a United Nations Map of Installations of Mass Destruction), as well as people and items specific to the scene, such as snails and frogs in France, bulls in Spain, and killer koalas, crocodiles and kangaroos in Australia!

Next up: Ann Coulter's bibliography!
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
First Mate

TV is not for me so I have lots of time to read. Generally, I always have a book going. Some great books for a cruise are by Philip Craig. Mystery writer, very funny and light. They are set in Martha's Vineyard and basically revolve around his life fishing and cooking since he retired as a cop. Love the books. Start with the first one, though, and follow his life. He passed away last year and I am saddened that there won't be any more.
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

I've been doing a little reading lately. Right now I have the book "Against Medical Advice" by James Patterson to be read. I just finished Glenn
Beck's new book "The Christmas Sweater" and I'm hoping to look into Vince Flynn's book "Extreme Measures". I like some of the espionage type books, but sometimes they get a little too heavy, and I find myself putting them down. One book that I really want to read is called "The Forgotten Man". It's about the Great depression, and one I think would be helpful for understanding our times. That one will take a lot more thought.

Phyll
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
First Mate

THE SHACK by william paul young. a tragedy confronts eternity. it is really a page-turner, and hugely inspirational.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Sometimes the books keep coming even after the authors death, as in the case of Lawrence Sanders. One of his series, "McNallys" set in Palm Beach, are light and fun to read, and several came out after his death...

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Admiral

I just finished two very "light" books..
First one was "Who's Your Caddy?" by Rick Reilly. It's about many different people he talked into letting him caddy for them... Casey Martin, Donald Trump, Bob Newhart, etc. Some interestering surprises.

The other was "Hate Mail From Cheerleaders" by the same guy.
A collection of feel good true stories with sports as the connecting theme.
The kind of book that makes you laugh out loud on occasion.

Good break from the crap we all watched for the last few months.
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Vertical Dive by Michael DiMercurio.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I had to go back and read my original post, because I didn't remember starting this.

No wonder, it was started over a year ago.

I am still trying to get through all of the Stuart Woods books. There are 30 or more of them, and it took me several book stores to find them all.

I am averaging one every two days.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Admiral

One good thing about his books Luanne, they grab you from page one, and getcha good

Old November 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Stephen King's new short story anthology
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I've finished "The P.I.G. to the Middle East"!

And "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)"!

Next I think I'll read some Edgar Allan Poe, and "A Christmas Carol".
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Admiral

I am still going through all of Stewart Woods books. In the last week, I have been in Santa Fe, Key West, and now an island off the coast of Florida.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Books i loved

Howdy all

If you like fun, clean, books about older ladies try Ann B. Ross the "Miss Julia Series" (7 or 8 in the series) and the "Dearest Dorothy" Series by Charlene Ann Baumbich (5-6 in the series). I love anything by Nicholas Sparks have you read "The Guardian" (it's great for dog lovers) "Nights in Rodanthe" was WONDERFUL!

Sue Monk something or something Monk ? The Mermaid Chair- love story with a twist (a little sexy-but good ) and Secret Life of Bees.

Reading noe The Whole World Over by Julia Glass (i think) about Greenie a pastry chef and bakery owner that's swept away to cook for the Governor of AZ. (there again a little different with some homosexual encounters)

Also reading Now "The Lighthouse Keeper" by James Michael Pratt older book (2000) but so far very sweet book.

thanks for all the heads up on others to look for at the 1/2 priced books bargain rack. I'm one that can get the newest one in hardback.

Oh one the cruise I am taking "90 Minutes in Heaven" - can't remember the author...but it's a TRUE story written by a pastor from Cleveland TX (just NE of Houston) about his near death experience...it's on the NY bestsellers list NOW.

I am soooo glad i learned to read for enjoyment, just in the last 2 years

debbyedoops
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

I actually know Sue Monk. Her father and my father were co-workers and good friends, when we were growing up.

She's a wonderful person.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Admiral

"On That Day Everybody Ate" by Margaret Trost..about how she started the "What If Foundation" which feeds the poor children in Haiti...I'll never eat a nice meal on any of the islands again unless I donate the exact cost of the meal to her foundation
Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

For lots of reasons I'm reading

Being Old is Different: Person-centred care for old people, by Marlis Pörtner
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Sadly, My Janet Evanovich/ Stephanie Plum marathon is coming to an end. Between the books, and the books on tape, I have been on a merry go round of fun reading. I am on the last book on tape, and this one is read by a different reader. It's amazing what a difference it makes.

I just got this speaker thingy, which I can put my ipod in, and listen to the books I downloaded from the library, A great invention...

Laura Levine writes a great series, I have followed, and she has a new one coming out in the spring...Killer Cruise....glad I am not booked on it

Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Thanks Trip You just gave me another idea for a new series after I have finished this one. Does she have a web site with a list of all her books too?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Luanne, I checked, but could not find a website...here is her page from Amazon...These books are separate unto themselves, so you can read in no special order.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...vine&x=19&y=18

Another series I love is Diane Mott Davidson, a caterer set in Colorado, these books are best read in order, I didn't and it was no big deal, but, if you can, it makes more sense...

http://dianemottdavidson.com/

And finally. Elaine Viets is just an utthor I cannot put down, she has 2 series...The dead end job series set in Florida, is so much fun to read.

http://elaineviets.com/