Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Default Review of our 14 day Alaskan cruise - Celebrity's Summit

Alaska was magnificent. we're sorry we waited this long to go. We flew to Vancouver for a couple of days prior to the cruise and really had some time to see the city and to relax. Getting prepared for a 17 day trip took a lot out of both Ron and I. Our days on the cruise ship were really fun-filled. We only had a couple of days at sea with nothing much to do so the trip was really good. Our first stop was in Ketchican. We wandered into town and did some shopping and ended up shipping home a case of Salmon. We took a floatplane to Misty Fjords and landed smackdab in the middle of Punchbowl lake. I got out of the plane and stood on one of the pontoons! Ron got a picture of me there. It was so quiet and serene. Ron actually missed the sounds of the city.

The following day before arriving at our next port we spent a few hours less than 1000 feet from Hubbard Glacier. WOW! What a sight. We'd never seen a glacier before so it was truly awe-inspiring. I bravely took the video camera out onto the ship's helipad and shot some calving action. I recorded the thundering sound of ice blocks the size of cars crashing into the ocean. Ron took some very nice photos of the glacier's blue face through our stateroom's window which was at the very front of the ship looming over the helipad.

Our next stop was in Skagway. We rolled into town there and stopped in at the local (there's only one) police station. We chatted witht hem for a bit, saw their 911 system and traded some LASD and LAPD uniform shoulder patches Ron brought with for some from their town. Later in the day we went on the White Pass and Yukon Route railway. It was long and fairly boring hour and a half until we reached the top of the pass, then it was a very long and boring hour and a half ride back. Ron bought a DVD so we'll be able to remember how boring it really was : )

Next we were off to Juneau. We had our only bad weather day there. It was 38┬░ with horizontal rain. Who cares, not us! We hopped onto Captain Larry's Orca Adventure Whale watching boat. We spent the next 3 hours watching about a dozen humpback whales show their flukes. Again I bravely went up onto the top deck of the 30' boat and shot video in the rain. Ron can't wait to see it! He was nice and warm inside the boat with his tripod and really good DSLR camera getting some really good pics of the whales. While we were out at sea the coast guard made an emergency transmission that a 16' skiff with three passengers had capsized. We went racing (slamming) across the water at breakneck speed to assist in the rescue. Captain Larry's 2nd boat was able to save two of the three. Unfortunately the third one didn't make it : (. We stayed out there for 45 minutes looking for him with no luck. The coast guard called off the search after determining the guy had no chance of surviving in the cold water for that long. When we got back into town we stopped again at a police station and traded some more patches!

Our final Alaska stop was in Sitka. They claim the sun never shines there but we actually saw about 30 minutes of it during the day. It wasn't terribly cold just overcast. Ron and I went out on yet another boat to see the rest of the wildlife. We saw Otters, Seals, Bald Eagles and more whales! And again we stopped at a police station and got more patches : ) The shuttle bus that was supposed to come back and get us all didn't come back. In order to not miss the ship Ron wheeled himself in his manual wheelchair and I walked for about a mile to pick up the tender boat. We were thankful to have a whole day at sea the next day.

We headed back to Canada and ported in Victoria. We took a special wheelchair shuttle to Butchart Gardens and another place nearby called Butterfly Gardens. We had a wonderful time and took lots of pcitures. As the ship headed down the west coast we stopped in Astoria, Oregon. Don't bother : )

We then stopped in San Francisco and ported right next to Pier 39 at pier 35. We took a bus trip to Muir Woods which was really incredible and then a short (thankfully) stop in the little overpriced town of Sausalito. Again, don't bother : ) Our tour guide said a little shop there had wonderful hamburgers. "Hamburgers?" I thought. I'm in San Francisco, I watned SEAFOOD! Eventually we ended up at Pier 39 and our prayers were answered! I enjoyed clam chowder in a bread bowl, a little cup of crab meat & shrimp, while Ron enjoyed two wonderful seafood salads!

While at Muir Woods we saw 2 bucks and a doe come running across our path. They were nice enough to stop and pose for us and then they were on their way. One of the bucks was really staring at Ron in his power wheelchair while he photographed him. He thinks the buck was wishing he'd brought a camera too so he could fill his photo album with pictures of us humans.

We finally got to Catalina and spent the whole day on the ship. We've been there before and there really isn't anything more we wanted to see. We took some pictures of seagulls and friends we'd made on the ship. The next day ........... home. We'd put our son Bryan and his girlfriend Cori up at a nice hotel in San Diego for the night so they could pick us up in our biggggg (10 passenger) wheelchair van at the port. It was a nice ride home and then it was back to reality! Unpacking, laundry, more unpacking, more laundry .... delivering gifts to the neighbors ...... did I mention the laundry? : )

It was a long time away from home, and we were really missing our pets, including our little 7 month old black Labrador who we got after making our vacation plans. It was a great trip, but there's no place like home!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Hmm, seems I can't find the little icon to edit my original post! Just wanted to add that I believe everyone should take at least ONE beautiful cruise to Alaska! There is still so much to see in this beautiful country of ours....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Welcome Home Jean!!! I really enjoyed your review. Thanks !!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Jean...........great review......too bad you didn't enjoy Astoria......there is lots to see & do there.......maybe I'm predjuice!?!?!?!?! Glad you liked Alaska.............

Sharon
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Welcome back Jean. I enjoyed reading your account of the trip. You sure had some great adventures! That must have been sad not being able to rescue that one other person, but I'm glad to hear that at least 2 of the men survived.

That was cute about the Buck and Ron's wheelchair. :-)

Thanks for sharing the adventure with us.

Phyll
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Great review Jean. I don't get why they would try to serve you Hamburgers in San Fransciso it's seafood and sourdough bread. The clam chowder in the sourdough bowl is tasty!!!! We need pictures!
Okay now I hungry

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Thank you for a great review! Alaska is a place I would love to visit also. Did you make any pictures for the gallery?