Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Default Suspenders !!!

in my little part of Louisiana there is a heated community discussion about passing an ordinance to fine parents who let their underage children wear those sagging "showing the crack" pants to school

I have to chuckle because my 87 year old mother who is still alive would know how to handle this situation..first of all, she would never allow any person, whether child or grown up, who resides under her roof or who is related to anyone that was raised or visits under her roof, to go out the door in public in less then full dress..secondly, if my pants were sagging , she would buy me a pair of suspenders I hated those damm suspenders because to wear them was uncool but that's a whole other tale

the fact that the township is talking about passing an ordinance and the fact that some parents are up in arms about it speaks volumes...I'm thinking about attending the town forum to see what the parents who want to allow their children to wear sagging pants to school, wear to the meeting...I was raised that how you dress and act in public is a direct reflection of how your parents raised you

I haven't been cruising in about a year..do we see alot of sagging pants worn on formal nights
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Admiral

AMEN BROTHER! I couldn't have said it any better than you just did. I can't believe what I see out in public now. I pulled into a store parking lot the other day, and there was a young man, leaning into his car to get something, and I was MOONED! The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) tells me that they even sell underwear, with the pants sewn halfway down the underwear?
I've never seen the droopy drawers on formal night aboard ship, but I have seen them around the pool.

Ken
"Sky"

P.S. I've lost about 30 pounds since my recent surgery, and I've got to be careful or I look just like them!
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

I have no patience with utterly inappropriate dress. It is contemptible, and an insult to us all.

On the other hand, although I know I could be flamed again for mentioning the larger problems in your area, it is a little disquieting that local politicians can find time to deal with these situations while larger matters of education, health care, and the rest seem to be taking a perpetual back seat. In terms of legislative triage, seems like saggy pants might wait until more basic things are under control.

Reminds me of a story a lawyer friend told me the other night, which he swears is true. A guy was working in his muddy backyard garden when nature called. He trudged to the back door and was about to come in when his wife blocked him and said he couldn't come in with those muddy boots. The guy whined that he didn't want to go through the hassle of taking off the heavy boots. His wife said, "Well, we've got plenty of tall bushes back there, go do your thing."

He did, but a neighbor watching out a window saw him and called the cops. Cops came and arrested him for indecent exposure. Rather than fight city hall (a la Senator Craig), he simply paid the $50 or whatever. Weeks later, though, he found that he'd been placed on the list of sexual predators, with all the problems that entails. It cost him thousands in legal fees and untold hassle to get himself removed from that list.

The world is nuts.
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

AR..the USA today had an article about this issue so it's not just in my neck of the woods but yours also
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Admiral

As Ripley used to say--Believe it or not--- but I was in the parking lot of a large dept. store one evening and this young " gentleman " came strokin'
out, followed by two women, one I took to be the mother and the other older one to be his grannie-- and his saggies fell down around his feet.
He looked rather foolish with his pants down around his ankles but everyone, including the adults thought it was really funny.
I personally thought it was a shame that first of all, someone would wear something like that and secondly that his parent/s would allow it and last but not least, they thought it funny instead of disgusting.

On the other side of the coin-- talking about pants being so low--how about shorts being too high ??
A few mornings ago I had to take my grandson to school. I stopped at a light where there were 4-5 kids waiting for the bus. One was a girl that appeared to be 12-14 years old. She had on a pair of shorts that were so short that her cheeks were showing. I can't understand a parent that would allow a child out of the house to go to school or anywhere else wearing something like that. Hopefully the school sent her home, but I doubt they would have the nerve to try, as they might get sued for something or other or at the least create an uproar that they wouldn't want to deal with.
We surely have come a long way in the last few years. But maybe in the wrong direction ??
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Admiral

I sometimes wonder if the parents know..your child can leave the house wearing one thing and change and then change back on their way home (yea, I did that once or twice but got caught by my parents)
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

If it weren't for suspenders, my husband would be "indecent" every day. Not that he wants to be, he just has no hips! Suspenders may not be "cool" but they keep him from being indecent!

donna
Old October 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Admiral

I can remember a time when I stomped around high school in filthy unlaced construction boots (Kodiak brand) and shredded jeans, and a faded Queen T-Shirt (They're Gay??? No Way!), and refused to get a haircut, even though birds would mistake my head for their nest.

We all did it because it bugged the absolute h*ll out of anyone we considered worthy of pi**ing off.

When I see today's fashions, I just laugh. It's funny.

You guys are missing the point. Even forgetting your youth....

Feel honoured you are considered worthy of pi**ing off.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Admiral

thank God for today's school uniforms 8)
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Admiral

If I am in the company of a lady, I WILL go over to that person and tell him to pull his pants up in front of a lady.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Mehawk..your post conjures up many responses
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Mehawk..your post conjures up many responses
I have been observed SHOWING a fella how to do just that. To me, it is an absolute slap in a lady's face to have to see that and she is in the company of a gentleman. As I noted, I will take care of that situation briskly. And, as I lean in to growl in his ear, between clenched teeth, he does it with no problems.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I don't care for the saggy pants OR girls thongs showing over jeans. I just don't understand how wearing a wedgie all day would be comfortable......but that is another story!

Saggy pants and peeking panties will not happen in my house. As far as what children wear to school, I live in a very strict community. All children in public or private schools must wear uniforms. Skirts and jumpers must reach the knee. Shorts and skorts can be no higher than 4 inches above the knee. AND you had better allow for growth during the year, or you WILL be buying new uniforms. Shirts MUST be tucked in and belts MUST be worn. Violations will earn you a detention. Repeat offenders get a suspension or expulsion. Here is a picture for the non-believers....my beautiful daughter, Kaitlyn is on the left (and no, I don't know how to make it little...sorry!). I think these seniors were doing the ITSY BITSY SPIDER!

Melody

Old October 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
Saggy pants and peeking panties will not happen in my house. As far as what children wear to school, I live in a very strict community. All children in public or private schools must wear uniforms. Skirts and jumpers must reach the knee. Shorts and skorts can be no higher than 4 inches above the knee. AND you had better allow for growth during the year, or you WILL be buying new uniforms. Shirts MUST be tucked in and belts MUST be worn. Violations will earn you a detention. Repeat offenders get a suspension or expulsion. 20Theta/spider/images/kaylanolanandfriends
Wow, you could get a high-paying public service job writing dress codes for cruise lines.
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Melody would be the perfect drill sargent at Paris Island for new Marine recruits
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Oh, I didn't make the rules....I just live by them. Oddly enough there weren't many complaints regarding the school uniform code until the New Orleans evacuees settled here. When the parents went to enroll their children in school, they were given the uniform requirements. Many said they couldn't afford the uniforms, so they were given vouchers from an accepted uniform vendor for two complete uniforms per child. Within two weeks over 25 evacuee students at one school were reprimanded for uniform violations.

I heard one mother complaining about the severity of the punishments. I had to share my opinion with her. I told her that while some may agree or disagree with the rules, we all expect our children to comply with the requirements. A civil society is governed by rules. Our children begin in kindergarten with these same rules. They quickly learn the consequences of disobedience. I firmly believe our children are being taught lessons that will serve them well in their adult years.

Our community is small, but we are close to many larger cities. Our streets are clean (a tossed cigarette butt will cost you $500.00), our crime rate is LOW and our police department WILL arrest any parent who provides alcohol for underage drinking. If a child (especially a teen) decides to do something their parents wouldn't approve of, SOMEONE will see them (I told you it was a small town) and call their parents. Teens will tell on their friends.....it happens a lot.

A high percentage of our high school graduates attend college and most have completed a stricter curriculum in order to qualify for the TOPS program (free tuition to in-state, public universities).

These are the youth who were taught to tuck in their shirt and wear a belt to school each day. Following the rules early on, helps them to follow the tougher rules later in life.

Also, school dances have strict dress codes.....and don't even think about vulgar dancing. My girls were taught to embrace "elegance" as the ultimate in femininity and were always treated with respect by the young men. Grace and elegance will always prevail over "sexy".

Melody
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Melody..so is it safe to say that no one in your home has ever rented the DVD "Dirty Dancing"

as a parent you must like the current fashion of line dancing (cupid shuffle, electric slide etc)

so I guess this means if we are ever fortunate enough to be on the same cruise, I can't dance with you on "Salsa Night?"
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Melody> If I'm ever dancing with you on thin ice, please feel free to lead.....

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Reading about the too short shorts reminds me of a picture I saw on the web. The pic was taken at Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH during the annual "Bike Week" The "lady" was in her 60's wearing shorts that were cut so short that most of her "cheesy cheeks" were hanging out. I lived in the Laconia area for many years, Bike Week" seemed to bring a lot of strangely dressed or undressed folks to the region. Weirs Beach is definitly a great place for "people watching" during Bike Week.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 18th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Cruise Cynic...you do know that since Melody is a stunning southern lady with class, if you are not dress correctly (see her above posted dress code), she might lead you out on thin ice, but will leave you there, so that the crack in your saggy pants, might fall in the crack on the thin ice, and you might be thankful if some of the ship's male dancers that you ignored, might be helpful in coming to your aid

Old October 18th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Venice......you know Southern Ladies love good romance movies! Of course we've seen Dirty Dancin! However the dancing the schools banned looks NOTHING like sexy Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Gray! You can Salsa with me anytime!

We aren't prudes you know! New Orleans ladies sashay by......I think that does mean a little hip action. Ask James, he's been on Bourbon Street with me. What kind of lady would you bring home to meet Mom.....the smoldering, elegant lady.....or the one with her thong peeking out of her jeans?

Melody
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Admiral

My Dear Melody..if the truth be told, I have only brought home two women to meet my mother..the one she told me not to marry and I married..the one she told me to marry and I didn't..to this day the woman that I did not marry stays in very close contact with my mother and I have to hear from my mother about why didn't I listen to her in the first place and I would have given her more grandchildren

my son has only brought home one woman to meet his mother and I and he married her

as you well know, in the south when you date a woman you date her family and by extension her mother and so far every southern woman that I have dated, her mother looks better then the daughter and cooks better then the daughter

my father told all of his sons to find a woman that has more to lose then you do and marry her...I didn't understand his meaning as a young man but I sure do understand now after going thru a divorce

practice your salsa and your cupid shuffle with the Fred Sanford twist so we will look 8) when we are on the dance floor on our cruise
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Suppose they passed a law requiring all men to wear beards. They did in Afghanistan.

Suppose they passed a law requiring all women wear a veil?

I think this is a dangerous precedent.

Kids have been wearing clothes that their parents didn't like as long as there have been parents and kids.

Brian

Sensation
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Admiral

You know, I’m getting too old for this………

So there I am, enjoying dinner with a lovely young lady. Our entrees are perfect, our conversation is intoxicating – and we are truly enjoying our evening. When in walks a young dude, dressed in a t-shirt and jeans.

Quite naturally of course, his ball cap is on backwards……….

And at that exact moment a few thoughts crossed my mind. Only a few of them printable here.

This person’s complete and utter contempt for us, and the occasion, was absolutely amazing. He should have alerted the media – given that the world didn’t realize that he was so special.

The restaurant should have arranged for spotlights, as well. I mean, if you’re going to allow such a special person into your establishment, shouldn’t the world know about it?

Ah yes, dress codes. Fun, exciting, and not really that difficult.

Dress codes should be enforced. Strictly, and without exception. Inappropriate dress should be referred to other venues.

You’re dressed inappropriately for this venue? Your hat’s on backwards? Good for you! There are venues out there for your dress.

Just not this one……….

Dean
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:44 AM
Admiral

Mean Dean...I was with you up to the point when you indicated you were having dinner with a " lovely young lady" ..but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was your daughter

If that happen on formal night on your cruise, what do you think would have happen ?

I see your Ducks are ranked #5..Is a trip to New Orleans in January in your future ?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We have ropes in our school. If the pants sag, then you get the rope. We sometimes look like we have a bunch of Jethro's running around, but at least we don't see any hinnys.

When I worked as the school nurse, I had to call a parent one day because her son refused to wear the rope as a belt. I explained that he could not return to class until he accepted, or she brought him something else to wear, or a belt. She blamed styles on her son's clothes, and said we needed to go after the designers. (Always someone Else's fault) It wasn't until I pointed out that his underwear also had holes in them, that she ordered him to cover up.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

in today's enviroment, I don't think rope would be allowed

So Luanne, is to safe to assume you knew all the boy scout knots to tie
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I go no where near there knots. All I need is to be on CNN headline news.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Admiral

you are sooooooo bad