Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default AR : Thought of You !!!!

Remember Leon Jaworski, Watergate Special Prosecutor I just ordered a new book "On American Soil" by Jack Hamann, which was based on the prosecution and court martial of 42 African American army troops in Washington State during WW2 for the killing of an Italian POW..as a result of the publication of the book, the army ordered a special review board which found (among other things) that Jaworski (then a Col and prosecuting attorney), withheld key evidence from the defense attorneys that would provide reasonable doubt as to who really killed the POW..In light of the current issues regarding torture this is a very timely book and sheds some interesting light on Jaworski, in light of his future legal impact on American History

If you by chance read the book or hear something about it I would be very interested in your take on this 8)
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Venice--

I'll look for it. I remember those days of Watergate so well. Jaworski, of course, was considered a hero then by most. Interesting to contemplate that he may well have been a closet Mike Nifong.

I was just talking the other day to somebody about what makes prosecutors go wrong. I think there is something in all of us that makes us want to "win," and sometimes that instict takes horrible form. Of course, in Nifong's case, politics played a part: he was trying to get re-elected. Who knows what subtle (or not so subtle) forces are at work in the military to have prosecutors put their thumbs on the scales of justice. Maybe this book goes into that.

My friend (a lawyer) contends that once a prosecutor forms a theory of a case, it tends to become imprinted on him (sort of like a duckling on its mother), and before long the theory can take on an aspect of reality in his or her mind such that all any other explanations become impossible, any contrary evidence becomes irrelevant. It's a bad brew.

Fortunately, I think Watergate itself turned out to be so much out in the open that the prevalent theory of the case turned out to be true, even though it was so incredibly far-fetched (and unbelievably stupid).

I'll look for the book. We'll probably have to discuss it offline or we'll be "redacted."
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Admiral

look forward to your perspective..I almost was going to wait for the next "what are you reading" thread (I actually started another one under the title "Lottery") but I knew of your connection, so I wanted to make sure that I shared this with you

I think Americans are beginning to understand the power that a district attorney has and should think alittle more about their beliefs before going to the polls..the classic example of course is the one you referred to (Nifong), but also the DA in the Jena 6 situation here in Louisiana..what is even more scarier, the Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern Louisiana region in sworn testimony indicated that his instructions from his boss (you know who that was right) was not to pursue this as a hate crime but let the "locals' handle it

oh well, back to more pleasant topics about cruising in general..maybe Kuki can organize a future CM cruise and have a theme centered around 1 or 2 books that all of us will have read prior to going on the cruise and maybe invite the authors..a CM trans Atlantic cruise would be perfect for this