Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Default Something shady going on in Hawaii.

I read this article http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/news/#story22 about Radiance of the Sea with interest. My next cruise plans are to do a Hawaiian cruise and I was eyeballing Radiance because it leaves out of San Diego no air flight would be required.

But if the Hawaiian officals (Senator Dan Inouye) are playing games to boost NCL failing "Pride of whatever ships" then I may rethink the whole Hawaiian cruise, Flying to Hawaii is costly I would refer spend that money on a longer cruise and more sea days. But I don't want to cross the ocean to discover the ship can't dock in Maui because the island wants to train staff!!! This is a game to give NCL a monopoly on the Hawaiian island cruises. I'm spitting mad!!!! :evil:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Thanks for noticing - that was an oddball news story with no follow up or anything. I don't know who well those passnegers fared. I guess they are on their way back to Ensenada...?
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Admiral

I'm glad I come to cruisemates cause I didn't see that story anywhere else. I feel bad for the cruiseline and the passagers, because it wasn't their fault. It would be a shame if they pull out of doing the Hawaiian cruises because of this. I wonder if NCL pay a special fee to the Hawaiian government.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:03 PM
First Mate

This is interesting, and I am also curious.

We are going to Hawaii in April---the second time---specifically because DH wants me to see Ulelena on Maui, and because this itinerary includes Kauai.

And the passengers are NOT complaining ??? Curious.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Kat thanks for bringing this up. It seems to me that this borders on a bribery plot, with ties to a mob. I hope the cruise lines being pushed out of this market will get this resolved. I love Hawaii, cruised there before, and will probably cruise there again. However I am not a ncl cruiser.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

well, it appears it was all the one-time snafu. They had a fishing tournament on the island which RC was supposed to know about and work around, but they didn't contact the island officials to request secutiry until a few days before they arrived, so the island was not ready for them.

Thats what happens when a ship does a "one-time" itinerary, port problems will happen.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Ahhh~~thanks for the info Paul.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Admiral

Well in that case I hope that RCI provide the passerage with some kind of credit for the missed ports. Flight and Hotel in Maui is expensive and booking another Hawaii cruise would have an additional cost. I know if it was me I would want something in the form of a partial refund either cash or credit for missing a port like Maui due to the cruise not contacting the Island. Sorry to Senator Dan Inouye for blaming him. It appears to be on RCI.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Well in that case I hope that RCI provide the passerage with some kind of credit for the missed ports. Flight and Hotel in Maui is expensive and booking another Hawaii cruise would have an additional cost. I know if it was me I would want something in the form of a partial refund either cash or credit for missing a port like Maui due to the cruise not contacting the Island. Sorry to Senator Dan Inouye for blaming him. It appears to be on RCI.
Ports get missed all the time; why should anyone get a refund?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:
Ports get missed all the time; why should anyone get a refund?
If a port gets missed due to bad weather or unforseen ship malfunction is one thing I would not want a refund. Most ports get missed due to bad weather and no refund is needed.

But this Port was missed due to RCL not contacting the island officials to request security that is on RCL and yes I would want something like shipboard credit for their failure. I don't want the whole cruise refunded just a little something because I missed a major Hawaiian port due to their mistake that could be foreseen and should have been handled correctly by RCL.

If Hawai refused to let them dock for no good reason I would not expect a refund. For me it has to be something RCL should have known and failed to act responsibly.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
If Hawai refused to let them dock for no good reason I would not expect a refund. For me it has to be something RCL should have known and failed to act responsibly.
I agree 100%. When a port gets missed due to forces of nature or other unforeseen problems, then generally I don't look for any sort of compensation either. That's a fact of cruising life. But in this case, RCI was clearly at fault and should compensate those passengers for missing a primo port like Maui.

Taking a Hawaii cruise could be a once in a lifetime experience for some people. They can't just readily go and retake the cruise a year from now. Their finances or family/job situations may not allow it. So, to go to Hawaii and miss out on seeing a major spot like Maui is a very big deal, and RCI should compensate them for it since it was their incompetence that caused those passengers to miss the port in the first place, and not some force of nature or unforeseen mechanical breakdown.

Blue skies ...

--rita