Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Captain

Default If you could change cruise experience?

I love to cruise (duh) and have obviously become addicted to it. We wanted to cruise for years but never got around to it until Sept 2003 and quickly became addicted. I have #11 booked for April 2008. My best so far was the first and our Grand Med this year.

If I could change anything major about my experience, I would have cruised less often and repeated my itinerary less. I would have saved up and made my cruises with better and different itineraries and sailed on more ships. I have sailed on 5 ships from the Holiday (oldest/smallest) to the Freedom (newest/largest). After our April family cruise, I think we will probably cruise every two years with a much better itinerary.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Admiral

So far, the only thing I've regretted about our cruises, is that we cruised alone, without family or friends, and always found ourselves saying, "oh, I wish so-and-so were here, they'd love this!". A few years back, we did take the (grown) kids, and that was special, but up to now, we've never cruised with friends. However, this week we booked our next one, and a few days later, were delighted to find out that some good friends booked the same cruise! Very much looking forward to sharing this next cruising experience!

donna
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
So far, the only thing I've regretted about our cruises, is that we cruised alone, without family or friends, and always found ourselves saying, "oh, I wish so-and-so were here, they'd love this!". A few years back, we did take the (grown) kids, and that was special, but up to now, we've never cruised with friends. However, this week we booked our next one, and a few days later, were delighted to find out that some good friends booked the same cruise! Very much looking forward to sharing this next cruising experience!

donna
That is interesting. Our first few cruises were with my sisters and their spouses and we had a blast. We have taken a few with just the two of us and have a great time, although different. On these we enjoy meeting new people and having new dinner partners. We've done a group cruise through our agent and a cruise with a huge Cruise Critic group where we had 3 meet and greets. We've done one (and have one booked) with our kids and grandkids. So I guess we have tried cruising with all scenarios and love each of them in different ways.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Admiral

good thought provoking question..I would have wished that I discovered the full charter jazz cruise experience earlier then 2005 (they have been doing them since around 2001)..I would have done fewer main stream caribbean ocean liner cruises and more "niche" (i.e. river, barge, windjammer, paddlewheel) sooner, ..I would have done more cruises with my friends (at my treat), who have never cruised before and I would have avoid cruises out of the west coast to Mexico and out of the gulf going to western caribbean ports

I'm glad I have cruised to Europe many times and now look forward to cruising to Egypt on a Nile River Cruise and cruising to South Africa for the big jazz fest

of course my greatest cruise that I am looking forward to will be taking my grandson on his first cruise on his 5th birthday in 2009 on Disney
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would wish that every cruise I sailed on, was a Cruismates Cruise. The cameraderie of our cruises is amazing..always someone to wave to, to sit and kibbitz, or have a nibble with...Dining with new and old pals is, just so special. Want to join an excursion, yes no maybe..no problem.. No one is connected at the hip..and the connection is just great....I love them!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 1st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Thats a good question. I cannot really say that there is much of anything I would change. I have always gone with kid and partner, and every cruise we have gone with friends as well. This next cruise I am booked for we are going with ALOT of friends, and that I don't regret at all. Its going to be such fun. Many people who went when we went on our Jan cruise, are coming again and now others have joined in, and that will make it the best cruise I do think just by the friends and family going. I am a social person, I like to laugh, and I love to be with people and I am getting such a kick out of getting organized for this next cruise, from our T shirts that every one will have to various other little things here and there. Now that we do only cruises that allow us to pick where and when we eat, I could say I regret that we had seated times on our first cruise, but I cannot really say it is a regret, only now I did it both ways and I know which way I like better.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Admiral

There's really very little, if anything I'd change about cruising! Trip is correct about the CruiseMates cruises. They're fabulous. We do a family reunion cruise once a year or so, and these too are GREAT, as my family is wonderful about being there, but not feeling that we all have to do everything together. I truly love the entertainment aboard cruises. One of the most enjoyable groups was the "Cats Pajamas" aboard "Century", a CruiseMates cruise. Bert Stratton aboard "Princess" is second to none, and many, many of the other activities aboard cruises are absolutely GREAT! Of course, I love the "Legends" show aboard "Carnival" as I very often get to perform in that one. Keep the cruise coming,,,the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I will be aboard!

Ken
"Sky"
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Hi
I've enjoyed all of our cruises up until this year-and that's a scheduling problem not a cruise concern.
Our very first cruise in 1998 was paid for, and hosted by, our next door neighbors. That got us hooked-I was afraid of seasickness and it hasn't happened-YET. I don't think about it. Since Trevor and I have been taking our annual cruises starting in 2001, we've gone alone-but in the last few years have hooked up with roll call groups who meet and greet on board and that has been great. We are still posting and seeing folks from 2004.

This year has turned into a nightmare, per scheduling. The change I would make is for Princess not to overbook cabins and then send out inviting offers to delay that cruise to a different time in return for some handsome onboard credit and an upgraded cabin. Trevor saw such an offer and when he called, our Oct. 27 cruise was cancelled within seconds! Not much time to think about it. So, as practical as it was, for me, it was more emotional, in that I didn't get to meet all the people I'd been posting with for 6 months.
Now that the cruise is finally coming again, my boss walked off the job Thursday night, and here I'm going to be gone for 10 days!!

To keep this upbeat--we'd love to go on a Cruisemates cruise sometime-as we know so many of you now. It would be great fun. However-it would have to wait until 2009, as we've already booked the Ruby Princess for Nov. 15, 2008. Some of the people we missed in Oct. will be onboard as well. Anybody interested? She's filling up fast!!

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: If you could change cruise experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies

If I could change anything major about my experience, I would have cruised less often and repeated my itinerary less. I would have saved up and made my cruises with better and different itineraries and sailed on more ships. I have sailed on 5 ships from the Holiday (oldest/smallest) to the Freedom (newest/largest). After our April family cruise, I think we will probably cruise every two years with a much better itinerary.
Blue skies, I agree with your philosophy. We try not to repeat itineraries. We try to see more of the world than just the Caribbean. In fact, since our last Caribbean cruise in 2003, we have sailed the Panama Canal, a Central Med cruise, Alaska, a transatlantic including Western Med, Southeast Asia, Japan and China, French Polynesia, and Norway. We have two weeks in the Med with plenty of new ports in 2008 and a week in the Greek Islands and a week in the Baltic scheduled for 2009. At some point, we will sail the Caribbean again; probably, when we are retired with more time on our hands than money.

Have fun choosing wonderful cruise destinations!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My cruise experiences have all been wonderful. I have cruised with friends and I have cruised alone. I did several groups, one with CruiseMates. I have to say that the CruiseMates group was the most interesting for me. I made wonderful friends on that cruise and really enjoyed them. Many of you remember my little friend Patty. She is a retarded person that I used to take care of in NH. I took her on that cruise with me. Patty really made that cruise for me. Watching the wonder on her face as she experienced new things was unforgettable. Each cruise was a unique experience in itself. I would not change a moment of any one of them.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Admiral

I just love crusing and no there is nothing I would change. My faovrite was my recent transatlantic but I know I can't afford a cruise like that very often-but I would rather taken a caribbean cruise then no cruise at all.

There is absolutley nothing as wonderful as standing outside on the edge of the ship or my balcony and looking over at the water as it flows by-no way could I wait 2 years for that feel!

We have cruised 13 cruises total , 9 of those cruises have been with our daughter.

Three times we have crusied with friends. Twice our daughter went with us and friends-and once we crusied with friends as couples, minus the kids, it was 4 couples. Twice my mother inlaw has gone with us. Once my fatherinlaw, before he passed away.

I guess that is the only thing I would change is for him (my FIL) to have lived to crusie with us more. I think my mother inlaw missed him so much the second time she cruised with us, that she never wanted to cruise again-even though my husband offered to pay her way.

An ideal cruise year for me is one fairly nice cruise of 7 days and then a little mini cruise thrown in later of about 4 or 5 days.

but this past year becuase we did the 12 day transatlantic, we did not get in the bonus of a little mini as we were saving our money for the TA-so we waited almost a year before getting on ship again for that cruise.

If I can go on a cruise about every 8 or 9 months I am okay! right now I am in cruise withdrawal because I am wanting us to book something else! We ae still looking and trying to decide what comes next!
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Passenger

I spent a year in the West Indies during my time in the navy, never get tired of going back.
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Admiral

I'd reverse the trend and build smaller ships.

After sailing on small ships on two of our last three cruises, we're hooked. More accurately, we're "re-hooked," since all ships were small by today's standards when we started sailing. The attractions of 3,000 pax megaships pale before the warmth of a ship carrying fewer than 1,000 guests.

It will be interesting to see whether Oceania's newbuilds for about 1,200 pax each can maintain the intimacy and camaraderie that fans of the "R" ships value so much.
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Admiral

I had a ball on my one CruiseMates cruise! It was so much fun to hang out on deck with the gang.

There are a few ships/boats I regret taking. A ten-day cruise on the Yangtze River was awful. Beat up tub with buckling floors, only one person spoke English, stopping in towns I had no interest in. Oh, the pollution was so bad most people came back with bronchial problems and I never saw the sun once. The food was inedible.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old December 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

I'll never cruise with my family again, by the end of the cruise we had sufficiently choked each other to the deck.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I'll never cruise with my family again, by the end of the cruise we had sufficiently choked each other to the deck.

Regards,
Thomas
We have cruised with our children/grandchildren and with sisters and brothers-in-law. We have done many, many road trip vacations with in-laws and always wanted to strangle each other on the road trips, but the cruise trips just seem easier with family. I think this is because we know we aren't "joined at the hip" on a cruise and everyone can do their own thing with plenty of time for privacy in our own cabins. I really do think that this is the only way to do a vacation with extended family along.
2011 Monarch of the Seas