CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Fuel Surcharges (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/343142-fuel-surcharges.html)

Anne Campbell December 5th, 2007 01:12 PM

Fuel Surcharges
 
I've come across postings by cruisers who are ranting that fuel surcharges are cruise line scams. One said he would deduct tips "punish" the cruise line. This is ridiculous! Everything goes up when fuel costs skyrocket. Food will be more expensive because it's shipped by truck to the supermarket. Of course we don't want to pay an additional $150 per couple per week. But it's a legitimate expense.

Manuel December 5th, 2007 05:12 PM

Anne, I agree with you completely. We must pay more for everything because of rising fuel prices. There is no one to blame it'a matter of supply and demand.

Manuel

mehawk December 5th, 2007 06:30 PM

I agree Anne. The person whom you said was going to deduct his tips needs to consider that his employer has probably raised prices of doing business because of fuel costs. Does this mean that the person in question is going to get his wages cut?

mehawk December 5th, 2007 06:31 PM

Ohh, and great new picture on your avatar!

Anne Campbell December 5th, 2007 06:38 PM

I saw a posting by an idiot who planned to stiff his steward and waiter on an upcoming Carnival cruise because the fuel surcharge -- "which they add all the time" -- is just a scam. There's no arguing with a hostile person like that, I just let it go.

But I do wonder at Star Clippers which just announced an $8 per person, per day fuel surcharge. A SAILBOAT???? In the Caribbean thy're under sail all the time.

mehawk December 5th, 2007 07:26 PM

Gotta pay for fuel for the diesel that powers the electronic devices and pumps. :roll:

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith December 22nd, 2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne Campbell
..........But I do wonder at Star Clippers which just announced an $8 per person, per day fuel surcharge. A SAILBOAT????...........


LOL LOL LOL LOL
LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

THAT IS A REALLY GOOD ONE, Ms Anne.

Thanks for making my day.

Captain :)

Manuel December 23rd, 2007 12:19 PM

Captain Smith with your experience in this field, wouldn't you agree that high fuel prices are here to stay?

Manuel

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith December 23rd, 2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
Captain Smith with your experience in this field, wouldn't you agree that high fuel prices are here to stay?

Manuel



Hiya Manuel,
I think the fuel surcharge going away is wishful thinking. I think the cruiselines should just have adjusted the prices accordingly because now we have port charges that are extra, govt fees that are extra, a fuel supplement, what next?
I think much like they have in the European Union, all prices advertised (no matter if they are flights only, air packages, hotel accomodations, cruises and so on) should include everything, your "out the door" price, so to speak. But hey, who am I to argue with the marketing gurus/advertising lobby or the bunch of incompetent and ball-less politicians whose only interests are protecting their own seats, literally.
Just my 2 cents!

Captain :)

Manuel December 24th, 2007 05:09 PM

Thank you captain, that was a very informative answer. I am in complete ageement withwhat you said.

Manuel

Marc December 24th, 2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
Captain Smith with your experience in this field, wouldn't you agree that high fuel prices are here to stay?

Manuel



Hiya Manuel,
I think the fuel surcharge going away is wishful thinking. I think the cruiselines should just have adjusted the prices accordingly because now we have port charges that are extra, govt fees that are extra, a fuel supplement, what next?
I think much like they have in the European Union, all prices advertised (no matter if they are flights only, air packages, hotel accomodations, cruises and so on) should include everything, your "out the door" price, so to speak. But hey, who am I to argue with the marketing gurus/advertising lobby or the bunch of incompetent and ball-less politicians whose only interests are protecting their own seats, literally.
Just my 2 cents!

Captain :)

I disagree. If additional charges are required due to an unexpected rise in fuel after brochures are printed, then there is no choice except for a surcharge. You can't raise "base" prices over the brochure without being guilty of false advertising.

kryos December 26th, 2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc
I disagree. If additional charges are required due to an unexpected rise in fuel after brochures are printed, then there is no choice except for a surcharge. You can't raise "base" prices over the brochure without being guilty of false advertising.

This is a sore point with me. I don't believe in any "surcharges" whatsoever. If you print brochures listing one price, then you honor it. If a fixed cost goes up, then you trash the remainder of your brochures, and raise the prices on FUTURE sailings to make up for it. You don't go back in time and tack on additional charges to make up for an unexpected cost increase.

Believe me, these cruise lines saw fuel prices going up and predicted their direction years ago. Any business that relies so heavily upon fuel tracks the trends very carefully. They have people on their payroll who are experts in the commodities markets and know long before you and I do that prices of certain things are going to go up, and by roughly how much.

If cruise lines did not do their homework properly and were truly caught with their "pants down" regarding the cost of fuel, then they should eat it for now. Raise the prices on future cruises for which they have not yet started taking bookings. Increase the prices sufficiently to cover their losses. At least those people booking those future cruises will know exactly what they are being asked to pay and can make their booking decisions accordingly.

I am opposed to surcharges because they can get out of hand. What next? What if say the cost of food skyrockets in the next year? Do the cruiselines tell us passengers that everyone is going to pay a $50 per cruise food surcharge on all bookings after a certain date? What happens if some other cost goes up ... perhaps a new way of accounting for employees that makes the cruise lines have to pay more in taxes for each employee onboard? Now we have to pay a surcharge to account for that increased cost too?

Every business has expenses associated with the production or delivery of their product. They have to factor those costs in when they arrive at the final price. Well, if a price is listed as $2000 for a new LCD TV and I plunk down my money for it on Sunday, with a delivery date of Tuesday, you don't tell me on Monday that a "surcharge" has been added because factory costs went up and my credit card will now be charged for $2,100. That's not fair. We agreed on Sunday to a price of $2,000. If a price increase is announced on Monday, you eat that amount on my invoice, and raise the price on future sales. That's the only fair way ... and that's exactly how the cruise lines should handle it.

Of course, the cruise lines are smart. They know this relatively small price increase is probably not gonna result in many people cancelling their cruises. I have two booked and while the letter I received about it rankled me, I have to admit that I, too, did not cancel either one of those cruises. In some respects, I'm not proud of that. I think sitting still for these "surcharges" is not a good idea because it can open the door to plenty of abuses down the pike.

Just my humble opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kuki December 26th, 2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

I disagree. If additional charges are required due to an unexpected rise in fuel after brochures are printed, then there is no choice except for a surcharge. You can't raise "base" prices over the brochure without being guilty of false advertising.
No one ever pays "brochure price". ... well maybe 7 people a year world wide :wink: I've always wondered why there is even a "brohchure price" printed. The real prices are never even close.

Marc December 26th, 2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:

I disagree. If additional charges are required due to an unexpected rise in fuel after brochures are printed, then there is no choice except for a surcharge. You can't raise "base" prices over the brochure without being guilty of false advertising.
No one ever pays "brochure price". ... well maybe 7 people a year world wide :wink: I've always wondered why there is even a "brohchure price" printed. The real prices are never even close.

No one pays brochure prices but actual price is often "based" off brochure price.

I know that in 2006 Regent instituted a surcharge due to rapid increase in fuel costs. Initially, in 2007, there was not a fuel surcharge as the costs had not measurably increased from the "predicted" amount made when determining prices. In 2008, we are back to a surcharge due to the rapid rise in the last few months....long after brochures are printed.

As I believe fuel surcharges are non-commissionable, travel agents are the ones that take a bit of a hit. On a related note, if cruiselines raised their prices to properly pay employees and said "tips are included," the extra charge would probably be commissionable costing the cruise line 13% more.

Marc December 29th, 2007 06:26 AM

Kuki, another question....is the RCI thread correct in stating that Canadians don't have to pay these fuel surcharges if they were instituted after they booked their cruise?

Kuki December 29th, 2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc
Kuki, another question....is the RCI thread correct in stating that Canadians don't have to pay these fuel surcharges if they were instituted after they booked their cruise?

Yes, that is true.

From what I understand it has to do with the difference in Canadian law.... and it applies to all the cruise lines.

Shirley Jones December 29th, 2007 02:17 PM

:x I agree with kryos its a sore subject on how it was implemented :!: I too know things go up and these cruise lines should have thought of a better way to implement this :!: And thats so unfair for we Americans yet great for those from Canada LOL


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1