CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Need GPS advice (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/343205-need-gps-advice.html)

nolou525 December 7th, 2007 12:47 PM

Need GPS advice

My daughter wants a GPS for her car for Christmas. I have done some research on them but would like some input from my crusiemates family.

I think I have narrowed it down to three units---

Garmin C580
Garmin nuvi660
Tom Tom 910

I am planning on spending betwen $350.00 and $650.00 (give or take a few bucks). I am more concerned with getting her an easy to use, great unit than being concerned with the price.

Any thoughts, ideas, additional units etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bobby_G December 7th, 2007 12:50 PM

keep in mind some require a monthly fee that are online and some do not

JamesRT December 7th, 2007 01:00 PM

A Road Atlas is alot cheaper! :wink: LOL

Mc Lovin December 7th, 2007 01:24 PM

Where's AR when you need him? He knows everything.

I would choose Garmin, based solely on their jingle. Sorry that's all I got :)

Delft December 7th, 2007 01:42 PM

We have a GARMEN, I dont know what model, but one of the higher end ones, and it is the best. We did alot of research at the time last year when we got it and we really liked what they had to say regarding the GARMIN. Sure has been helpful!

katlady December 7th, 2007 02:26 PM

If Traffic alerts are important then check on that feature and any additional cost per unit type. My hubby has a Tom Tom and he loves it. I have a Navigon, because it gives traffic alerts and I drive rush hour. The the traffic feature is more important to me then some of the other features (like point of interest information). Hope that helps. :D

Delft December 7th, 2007 03:07 PM

Garmin c550 ( this was last year, so I imagine the 580 is the same family)

Sea Trekker December 7th, 2007 03:29 PM

I always go to Consumer Report for their insight. We have bought everything that was over $200.00 with the advise they offer.
Have never been wrong. The latest issue on the newstand features GPS.

Phyllbo December 7th, 2007 04:23 PM

I have a Garmin 350 Nuvi. It has a lot more features than I would probably ever use. I really enjoy it most of the time. I have found that if you travel where there is a lot of highway construction, and recent changes then it really gets screwed up. That little lady inside will say "recalculating" in a little less than happy sounding voice, and try to help you find your way out. Course if the exit is now a right exit, and you are prepared to exit left, it can be a real pain.

You can pay an ongoing extra fee to get traffic updates etc.

I'm glad to have one, and most times it is very helpful. I can always hit take me home, and it will get me back there. What else could you want? LOL

Phyll

Mc Lovin December 7th, 2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Trekker
I always go to Consumer Report for their insight. We have bought everything that was over $200.00 with the advise they offer.

cnet also provides good reviews on electronics. I go to them first.

www.cnet.com

ready2board December 7th, 2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Trekker

I agree about using CR for a guide. My only problem with them is that sometimes they almost overanalyze products. For example, they'll give a lower rating to a vehicle whos temperature control buttons and knobs aren't as conveniently located as another vehicle in it's class...If you have the vehicle for over a week, you'll get used to them no matter where they are..Again, it's just a minor pet peeve with them and I trust them overall.

I bet it would be a great gift. But my guess is that they will start coming down in price soon...Especially right AFTER Xmas.

Cruznut2 December 7th, 2007 06:14 PM

I have the Garmin C550m and I love it. I moved to Florida recently and it has been invaluable in helping me to get around a strange area. I just put in an address and off I go. Gladys (that is what I call her) tells me where to go. Just let me miss a turn and she gets an attitude..big time! There is no monthly fee for Gladys just pop her on the dashboadrd and she calls the shots.

Laura

Trip December 7th, 2007 06:38 PM

We have a 6 foot tall, dark and handsome man, who gives us directions...we nixed the female voice:)

Inis46 December 8th, 2007 02:17 AM

I have a Garmin nuvi250 and love it! I paid a little extra and bought the beanbag style mount where you just set it on the dashboard (it doesn't move at all either) instead of using the suction cup on the windshield. My son borrowed it for their trip back to NC when they came for Thanksgiving and will give it to my daughter for their trip to FL when they come for Christmas. LOL, my kids still just love borrowing MY toys.......

nolou525 December 12th, 2007 07:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your help.

We ended up getting her the Garmin nuvi 660. Best Buy had it for a great price and we had a $100.00 Best Buy gift card, so it was an awesome bargain.

Sea Trekker-----thanks for the advice on Consumer Reports. We ended up subscribing to their online site.