Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: What dress codes would you like
2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise 53 38.41%
1 formal night on a 7 day cruise 60 43.48%
All casual nights.. formal nights be gone 25 18.12%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL - Dress codes

What type of dress codes do you prefer on a cruise?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Admiral

One for seven days is enough, but we dont take 7 day cruises, we did eight days as a minimum, and the next is 11 , and we plan to dress up for two nights......Especially since I got me two new formal outfits........Well, they were on sale!
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Admiral

We kind of like having 2 formal nights for a 7 night cruise. It is the only time we get to dress up. Now I don't have any real fancy dresses but what I do have work very nice for formal and hubby has a very nice dark suit.

We didn't even mind having 3 on our MSC 11 night cruise last year. And we did dress up on the one night on NCL that was "Dress Up or Not", of course we were very much in the minority that night.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I like to dress up.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Admiral

2 Nights on a seven dayer is just fine. I also enjoy dressing up. I wear a suit once sometimes twice a week. It's normal for me.
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

1 night on a 7-day cruise would be fine with me, although if 2 formal nights are scheduled, I will dress for both of them.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I still enjoy dressing up at least once during a 7 night cruise, just makes the evening special and you have all those great photo opportunities to cherish. I know a lot of people complain about having to dress, but its really not a big deal.

After a full days activities, you still need to shower and change clothes anyway, right?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Admiral

If the cruise lines ever change their dress code policy it will be a moot point if they are not specific and do not enforce their new policies.
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Once in 7 days is enough for me, it's fun to dress up but not too often!
Besides, I hate fancy shoes!

donna
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Admiral

None of the Above....

I like country club casual interspersed with informal nights. I think men should wear jackets in to dinner with or without a tie. A jacket with a silk tee or sweater is wonderful.

I have been on many cruises (Tahiti, Bermuda, Alaska) that were all country club casual except for a jacket on one night....they were wonderful. However most of my cruises have had around three formal nights over 14 nights....they were wonderful too. Although I don't mind packing and wearing a tux, I am glad that my next two week cruise in the med has no formal nights. It means, though, that I will probably take three sports coats instead of two.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Admiral

I love to dress up so the more formals the merrier! 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I voted for one on a seven day cruise, however two really doesn't bother me. I enjoy looking good in my tux, which I own. I vary the color of the shirt, ties and vests so it is like a different outfit each time. Marj has this talent for finding beautiful dresses on final markdown, sometimes as low as $25 and manages to look stunning.

What really bothers me is the blatant disregard some show for dress because "Its my vacation and I'll do what I wanna..." (apologies to Leslie Gore ). The code was not enforced totally on the Crown Princess.

I voted for one night becuase I have also noticed that more follow the dress code for the second formal night.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Admiral

I hope the dining room will always mean a little nicer dress code than just anything you might wear around the ship during the daytime. I don't think I'd miss the formal nights as long as some higher standard was maintained in the dining room.

Phyll
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default Poll - Dress Codes

I don't see the point in having dress codes, because the cruise lines do not enforce the rules anyway.

Judy
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Poll - Dress Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J
I don't see the point in having dress codes, because the cruise lines do not enforce the rules anyway.

Judy
I believe they just think we are adult enough to follow the guidelines. It isn't like most people cruising don't know there are formal nights.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Daphna101

Hi Kuki :

For a seven nighter, I would like one formal night. I will always dress up in a dress or elegent. However, Formal gowns and such can be quite fatiguing, especially after a long day of excursions. At home I have many opportunities to get all spiffed up even formally.

Hugs to the Mrs from us.
Daph
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dressing up is fun, as long as we can go barefoot! Wish we could leave the heels at home ladies!

Im going on a cruise tomorrow- I WANTED to pack light... hahaha funny. The more out fits I put together, the more shoes went into my suit case!! Grrr If only one pair of shoes matched EVERYTHING!

I rather have room to sneak in the liqua!
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Passenger

I voted for one formal night. I do enjoy getting dressed up on occasion, but think one night is probably enough. I guess I was thinking more of DH though. He has to wear a suit to work every day and would love to not have to wear one at all on vacation. So one night sounds like a nice compromise.
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Poll - Dress Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J

Judy
I think they dont because the average cruiser today is getting younger and younger, families and all, and they dont want stiff formal tux dinning. DS and Sam where black suits, but never a tux, even when he went on celebrity for 21 days. ( he is in his 50's and said never again to them, to formal and to old, and boring for his liking) Also airlines have dramatically cut down on baggage, and if you go with a package, well your lucky you can take a bathing suit. I like to dress up, long formal, and thats just because I love to have my familiy dressed up, but I dont require that of others and also, as long as people are neat and clean, and not in beach day wear, or shorts etc, it does not bother me. I think cruise industry is inbetween the elegance and such of past cruising, to becoming more family centered vacations and vacations for all.............it does not have the same mystery as even ten years ago. Now every one I know has been on one.........ten years ago, it almost seemed like "oh wow your going on a cruise" and it seemed special and some how exotic. Thats just my opinion.
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:59 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

We would prefer smart casual dining. Having said that, we do happily conform to the evening's dress code.
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am now "officially" converted to open seating and "country club casual" dining. I have sailed on Renaissance, NCL and just finished an Azamara cruise.

I have yet to see anyone flagrantly defying the dress code or dressing like a bum for dinner. The open seating concept is perfect for port intensive itineraries and you require less "stuff" to schlep throughout airports and onto the ship.

I will still sail on traditional lines but "Open Seating" will now be a major factor in deciding which cruise line to sail.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Mike M - I agree cmpletely. Also Marc...

Country Club Casual is my choice - yes we want to look good but the stiffness of a jacket and long sleeves at dinner - especially in a steamy dining room, is a little unbearable at times.

You ladies have the option of wearing cooler, more comfortable clothes that are still stylish (though I DO realize a lot of your formal clothes are not that comfortable) - but a suit with tie is HOT.

Most suits are wool, and snapping your collar tothe top button and then tying a tie around it doesn't leave much room for ventilation.

I think the bigger question, however is....

DO YOU GET OFFENDED WHEN YOU SEE PEOPLE BREAKING THE DRESS CODE?

I do a little bit, if I go to the trouble everyone should, but it isn't enough to ruin my dinner.
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Why have a "formal night"? If you feel like dressing up just do it.

Or is it like prom night when everybody dresses up?

Personally, we booked the Pinnacle Grill and we will be getting gussied up for this. It will be OUR formal night. If the ship's formal nights are convienent to our plans then we will join in.

If we choose to not get dressed up on formal night we will lay low.

Plus, we chose the "as you wish" plan for eating.
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do you know how much lighter my suitcase would be in therre werent formal nights- or smart-casual!! I wouldnt be bring TWO Suitcases, only one! I wouldnt need 6 pairs of shoes! And a million outfits.

Im going on a 12 day tomorrow =)

buuuut I look like I packed for the year!! I agree with the girl above about- I would like to only pack a few bathing suits, shorts, tanks + my snorkel gear! And thats it folks!!

Id really be ok with wearing the same three shorts and re-wearing tanks! Who cares... its vacation!! Last thing I want is all this stress! Last night I found myself screaming at my girlfriend while packing... for what? Nothing, I was just stressed while packing trying to make sure i had every last outfit for dinner for every single day. I have a suitcase and a half for all the dinner outfits I need.... and the extreme minimal for what Im wearing ALL DAY LONG! Why on Earth should I have 11 out fits for what im going to wear a measly 3 hours?? and yet barely any clothes to spend TWO weeks all day long in?

Just venting here lol
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

First of all, I really don't care whether they have a " dress code " or not.
I do feel that I think like a lot of other people ---that is if you have a dress code, either enforce it or throw it over board. I don't mind a coat and tie and always dress pretty decently for dinner on formal nights.

Man, no disrepect A.R. but sounds like you really need to give some thought to your packing-- 6 pair of shoes??? 11 dinner outfits???
learn to mix and match. Use the laundry/dry cleaning.
You could take half that wardrobe and still manage to be well dressed.
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rights
Do you know how much lighter my suitcase would be in therre werent formal nights- or smart-casual!! I wouldnt be bring TWO Suitcases, only one! I wouldnt need 6 pairs of shoes! And a million outfits.

Im going on a 12 day tomorrow =)

buuuut I look like I packed for the year!! I agree with the girl above about- I would like to only pack a few bathing suits, shorts, tanks + my snorkel gear! And thats it folks!!

Id really be ok with wearing the same three shorts and re-wearing tanks! Who cares... its vacation!! Last thing I want is all this stress! Last night I found myself screaming at my girlfriend while packing... for what? Nothing, I was just stressed while packing trying to make sure i had every last outfit for dinner for every single day. I have a suitcase and a half for all the dinner outfits I need.... and the extreme minimal for what Im wearing ALL DAY LONG! Why on Earth should I have 11 out fits for what im going to wear a measly 3 hours?? and yet barely any clothes to spend TWO weeks all day long in?

Just venting here lol
Your venting sounds like hyperbole to me. No one needs that many outfits. There are laundry services onboard.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
1 night on a 7-day cruise would be fine with me, although if 2 formal nights are scheduled, I will dress for both of them.
I agree with you. We enjoy dressing up for formal night and don't mind that they have two on a 12 day cruise. We always dress up somewhat for dinner every night except the first night where we usually wear our boarding clothes or maybe change from shorts to slacks or capris.

The two formal nights would probably go over better with everyone, if they both were "Lobster and Prime Rib nights!"
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I've lived in countries and places where you dressed for dinner every night. Formal and/or cocktail every night.....and I was a child. We managed and all of us learned table manners at an early age. I miss that!!!!!
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
First Mate

I choose 1 formal night.

Thanks,
Kathy
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I is good and on the Captain's dinner night. The other nights should be smart casual at least. No jeans, hats, shorts, ect.... in dining room.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10