Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
I think it's very exciting, and now we'll see how long it takes for the remainder of the mass market lines to realize they have to get in the chase.
Kuki--Of course, if NCL pulls off all the bullet points in that release with great flair and panache, their status as a "mass market line" may have to be reviewed. The thing that works against them in that regard, though, is the size of their ships.

I wonder whether, with ships that have more beds than many towns, the temptation is there to go back to the Cunard model and separate the inmates by classes.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I have not cruised NCL. So my comments are general I'm not a picky eater. So if the food is not good it affects my cruise experience. Three things that matter to me when I cruise are food, activities, and ports. someone else may be different. That's the nice thing about cruising there is something for everyone. If food is great on NCL I will have to try it out.
The quality of food we received on the Pearl is the main reason we are cruising Holland America in 3 days
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
I think it's very exciting, and now we'll see how long it takes for the remainder of the mass market lines to realize they have to get in the chase.
Kuki--Of course, if NCL pulls off all the bullet points in that release with great flair and panache, their status as a "mass market line" may have to be reviewed. The thing that works against them in that regard, though, is the size of their ships.

I wonder whether, with ships that have more beds than many towns, the temptation is there to go back to the Cunard model and separate the inmates by classes.
what do you mean size of their ships? We love that the ones we have been on are not these floating I dont know what to call them, but they are to big, one thing we like is the new ships being under 2500 pax.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I have not cruised NCL. So my comments are general I'm not a picky eater. So if the food is not good it affects my cruise experience. Three things that matter to me when I cruise are food, activities, and ports. someone else may be different. That's the nice thing about cruising there is something for everyone. If food is great on NCL I will have to try it out.
The quality of food we received on the Pearl is the main reason we are cruising Holland America in 3 days
Good food or not, we will never ever go HAL . Sam has been,he said it was to old and to boring, and this from a 50 something. enough said whenI say my father likes that line! But differant strokes, differant folks! Thats the good thing about so many options out there.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
NCL does this already to some extent, with their Grand Villas and Courtyard Villas they are including private pool, sun deck and courtyard areas, as well as services, which other paying guests are not privy to.

At the moment the difference between them and Cunard is that once into the public areas everyone uses the same spaces, and the same dining choices (though their top suite guests have much easier access to reservations). Once they build their new F3 series, it wouldn't be totally surprised if they add a restaurant for the use of only their top suite guests..

There are several items listed in their release which I can see will be difficult to implement... such as priority embark and disembark for those in balcony cabins. Since probably 80% of guests on new ships qualify, priority anything for them would seem almost impossible to pull off.

But at the same time it's nice to see most of their announced initiatives are directed toward passenger services and amenities.... not just tricks on the ships, like RCI's Flowriders, and jacuzzis that overhang the deck.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Kuki, we debated going RCI this year, out of New York. We didnt because we dont like so much the glitz and the numbers of people on the ship. We also very much dont like forced seating times and sitting at the same table. I dont even mind eating in the same restaurant every night, but same time and same table bugs me a little, its fine for a week, if I really have to, but not like now when we go for 11 and or more. I also like one other thing, NCL is more port intensive. Some people dont like this and many times dont leave the ship on port days, but for us, its off as soon as we can get off and then enjoy all that we can where we are going. Some one said to me "But RCI has the skating rink"....ya, OK, if I want to skate, I can just go outside and I can skate, I can ski, I can shevel snow, I can have a snow ball fight.............on my cruise, Ice is not what I want to see except for a few ice skulptures, they are always pretty! Many people tell me they cant wait to try their new ship, but to be on a ship with that many people, no way. I dont know how ports will even deal with her. These little islands can only handle so many, and as it is, some of the towns are total chaos on multiple cruise ship days. I do feel also, when the numbers get to high, the service goes to low.
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
when the numbers get to high, the service goes to low
Well NCL ships don't actually carry less passengers than the other cruise lines, on ships of similar size. Celebrity Constellation that I was just on is about the same size as Gem, and carries 400 less passengers.

Of course that changes on ships like RCI's Freedom of the Seas, or their upcoming 160,000 ton range Genesis ships. I have no doubt the F3 series that NCL is currently building will be larger than the Gem, Pearl, Jewel and stisters and will get into the 3000 + passenger range. The key is they design them well enough to handle the load.

I do think NCL's Freestyle does spread out the passengers more with the different dining rooms
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Yes, you are probably right Kuki, I just find with lower PAX numbers, that people get to know your face and smile a little more. Maybe I am wrong, I could very well be. We purposely pick ships that are 1800-2500. I know some fel that is to large and others feel that is to small. What we really love with NCL is compared to Carnival, whos main floor was on deck 3, is their Atrium main floor is deck seven. We had I think THE BEST family/friend fun times on this deck seven. It is quieter than around the pool, we used the various deck games, we took photo shots there, we saw the sun come up and down, it was our general meeting place and I just loved it and look forward to that once again. To wait around for the ship to dock and stand theee with things more at eye level. Sounds like a silly feature to enjoy, but we really do!
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Admiral

If we hear good reviews about the food on NCL we will definitely go back to them.
I know that the per diem rates that were posted are a few years old but 75 bucks for 7 days? SHEESH!!!
and to add just 20% now?

I, for one, am willing to pay more to get better food. I don't mean specialty restaraunts, I mean the main dining and the buffet.

I have my fingers crossed that the food on the Ryndam will be comparable to '95
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
If we hear good reviews about the food on NCL we will definitely go back to them.
I know that the per diem rates that were posted are a few years old but 75 bucks for 7 days? SHEESH!!!
and to add just 20% now?

I, for one, am willing to pay more to get better food. I don't mean specialty restaraunts, I mean the main dining and the buffet.

I have my fingers crossed that the food on the Ryndam will be comparable to '95
I found the food on NCL to be quite acceptable, even without the extra cost specialty restaurants.... but always tell people to add about $80 to the cost of their NCL cruise, and then if it's still a good deal, go and enjoy all NCL has to offer. Historically NCL fares have been considerably less than say HAL, so you're probably spending less even adding the cost of the specialty restaurants.

As for what the cruise lines spend per diem on food. $10-15 per day per person is probably very close to the industry standard, even today. And since that doesn't include preparation costs, staff, etc. It's really not that out whack.