Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Welcome Libralass

Hi Sue,
Welcome from across the pond!! I hope our site has helped you with that wonderful cruise you have planned. It's always nice to meet new people in chit chat, and if you ever find yourself up in the middle of the night, with insomnia, come join us in our nightly chat:):):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Welcome Aboard!

We love to meet cruiselovers and hear all about their expiences and get to know them.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Welcome Libralass. Nice to see your post. Hope you continue to come back and share with us.

Phyll
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hello There !

What a lovely welcome! Aren't cruisers friendly ..

I am a very keen addict, and have been on the cruise chat sites nightly since a year before my 1st cruise - I booked the first one in May 05 a year ahead for May 06 -our silver wedding anniversary, and have learnt such a lot from reading posts and asking questions. Now I help other newbies, with 4 cruises under my belt and 2 booked. I am a p&o fan so far, but would like to try Celebrity or Cunard soon. But as we both still work (I am in my mid 40's) can only manage 2 cruises a year, one a 3/4nighter the other 14-16nights.

I would like to do a Caribbean one in 2009, but not keen on the 11hr flight from UK, which I have read is a bit of a nightmare, in cramped planes, and ofcourse limited luggage allowance!! All my cruises so far have been sailing from Southampton-UK, so i can take as much luggage as I want!
We have the Sales on here at the moment, have already bought some nice formal shoes and tops and skirts, so on countdown now to the Voyage to Venice, when we have a starboard balcony cabin for that wonderful sail-in.

Sue
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default the Captain joins the fray in welcoming Libralass...........

the Captain would actually welcome more lasses from his formerly-adoptive country. I miss Guildford, I miss London, I miss Leeds/Bradford,
I miss Christchurch, I miss Leamington Spa..........I guess you get the drill.
I MISS ENGLAND.
Once again welcome to CruiseMates, the friendliest cruise chat site on the Internet.

Captain
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Captain

Well, I expect most of the places you mention have changed a lot since you were there. esp Bradford.....I'll say no more!

I'll raise a glass to you all at Midnight - I think we see 2008 before you don't we? in UK we are 6hrs ahead of USA? It is 4pm on New Years Eve here, the church bells have just stopped peeling - I have a church which I can see from my window.

For the first time in years i will be at home tonight, as my American Friend always held the New Years Eve Party - she is a New Yorker, here in UK for 20 years, but now back in USA , this time San Antonio, Texas.

Happy 2008

Sue
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Sue, Welcome aboard! It is always nice to have someone, offering a view "from across the pond!" Happy New Year, to you. When you finally come visit your friend in San Antonio, drop by for a cup of tea. I'm only 4 hours away, just south of Houston!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Darlene

and Captain, where are you living now?

Sue
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Los Angeles now

Greenwich Mean Time Minus 8 hours
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you would like to see my cruise albulms, here is a link to them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV

One is purely ARCADIA inside and out a P&O adult only -(bliss !!!) ship, at 82,505 TONNES, launched in 2005. This is the ship i started cruising on and I will be back on her in 4 months.

There is also a album with a few photos of my house and the church I mentioned which had the bells ringing today for New Years Eve.

Sue
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraLass
Hi Captain
.......Well, I expect most of the places you mention have changed a lot since you were there. esp Bradford.....I'll say no more!..............
Sue
I hear ya Sue...........I know, I know...........An old friend of mine from Bradford emailed me a pic showing they actually had the Pakistani flag flying at City Hall in Bradford last week after the assassination of Benazir Bhutto! Unbelievable! (I saved that pic just in case you want to see it)

Mind ya, some parts of LA are just as bad here, people flying the Mexican flag on their homes rather than Old Glory! Shame!

Captain
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Sue, great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
If you would like to see my cruise albulms, here is a link to them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV

One is purely ARCADIA inside and out a P&O adult only -(bliss !!!) ship, at 82,505 TONNES, launched in 2005. This is the ship i started cruising on and I will be back on her in 4 months.

There is also a album with a few photos of my house and the church I mentioned which had the bells ringing today for New Years Eve.

Sue
NICE photo album, Sue.
I noticed you guys have a HIS and a HERS Ford Ka.

Captain
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thats my silver Ka and the 19yr old daughters Ka Captain!

I GET THE NEWER ONE OFCOURSE!

Sue
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I bet you probably think my house is tiny compared to the ones in Texas and USA Darlene/Captain ?

But house prices are very dear here in UK , mine is worth around $570,000 - $600,000 believe it or not!! My American friend bought a house twice the size in Texas for 1/2 the price last year. So not fair you get so much more for you $ over there!!

Sue
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I bet you probably think my house is tiny compared to the ones in Texas and USA Darlene/Captain ?

But house prices are very dear here in UK , mine is worth around $570,000 - $600,000 believe it or not!! My American friend bought a house twice the size in Texas for 1/2 the price last year. So not fair you get so much more for you $ over there!!

Sue
What I have noticed is that as more countries join the EU, the higher up that seems to push property prices in Europe. We own a second home in one of the EU countries, we bought this back in 1979 and it is now worth 15x as much!!!!
I always regret having had a chance of buying property in a real upscale area of Guildford, Surrey and NOT taking advantage of the opprtunity, this was in the mid-80s........
In many rural areas of the US, property is still reasonably afforable but in metropolitan areas, that's a different story. I many times wonder how the new generation growing up now will ever be able to afford their own piece of the pie as wages/salaries have definitely not grown at the same rate as real estate, not even of inflation, it seems like to me.

Captain
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

You are so right 'Captain'. My 22 year old son has just bought his first home with his 22yr old girlfriend - £185,000 (x2 for $ !!) Their mortgage is £1,000 ($2,000) a month! Thats a small mid terraced house 'first time buyers type.

In Texas (SAN ANTONIO) my friend bought a large detached house with garden for the same price!

Land is certainly at a premium here, being such a small Country I suppose.

Happy New Year..... 4 hours to go for us...

Sue
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Happy New Year..... 4 hours to go for us...

Sue

Happy New Year to you too, Sue

Captain
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Wonderful pictures Sue, I enjoyed one so much, I set it as my desktop..The Alicante one ... I have had a love affair with palm trees, long before I ever saw one, and this shot just made me wish I was walking there! Thanks for sharing.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator