CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   One of the "weirdest" nights I've had (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/344245-one-weirdest-nights-ive-had.html)

Kuki January 4th, 2008 07:36 AM

One of the "weirdest" nights I've had

I was fast asleep, when at 2:30 AM I was awoken by the noise of a BIG THUMP. I got up to find Mrs. Kuki passed out on the bathroom floor.

She came to quickly, and I asked her if she was OK, or should I call 911. She said she was a bit dizzy, but unhurt. But she didn't want to move for a few minutes. After awhile I got her back to bed, and she insisted I go back to sleep. I just layed there, of course, unable to sleep because I was worried about her. Then I smelled a bad odor. I got up, walking around the house trying to track down the source.

I checked our dog Sammy, because he's been "skunked" before, but he smelled fine. Then since it was a rotten egg smell I called the company that supplies our natural gas.... thinking it may be a natural gas leak. They dispatched someone to the house, told me to open some windows and turn off the furnace, and he arrived about 4 AM.

He said he noticed the odor 4 blocks away from the house as he was driving towards us. But his meters showed no signs of natural gas or CO2, but he obviously smelled something in the air in the neighborhood, and suggested that I call the Fire Dept.

I did so, and the 911 operator sounded concerned, and said she'd be sending fire dept and ambulance. I sat down in my office to wait their arrival, and turned on the TV to watch news while I was waiting. After about 4 minutes both the cable tv, and our internet service went down.

The fire dept. arrived and as soon as they got out of their trucks, they said it was a skunk. I explained that my wife had passed out, the gas co. found no leaks, and smelled it as soon as he entered our neighborhood, and that my tv and internet service had gone down.... but they said it was all a series of coincidences, and it was most certainly a skunk close by, and the furnace was drawing the smell into our house.

The ambulance attendants checked out Mrs. Kuki, and her blood pressure, pulse etc. were normal. And she felt OK, other than the lump on her head from hitting the floor when she fell. Though she doesn't remember passing out.

I've put her to sleep, and I'll certainly take her to the Dr. in the morning to have her checked out... I called the cable co. and they said the service for entire neighborhood was down. Took about half an hour and it all came back on. Good thing, because there was no way I could get back to sleep.

But the strange thing is this series of incidents one right after the other was very bizarre, and seemingly coincidental. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: < cue Twilight Zone music>

Trip January 4th, 2008 07:39 AM

Oh Kuki, what a strange series of events, and so very scary for you both!! I am so glad Geela will be fine. Please keep us all informed....xoxox

Donna January 4th, 2008 07:41 AM

Gosh Kuki,
What a bizaar night you've both had, keep us posted and I hope Geela is feeling better today?

VTJen January 4th, 2008 07:43 AM

Very "Twilight Zone"! I hope Geela checks out ok.
All the "excitement" made for a short night, I hope you can sneak in a nap sometime today.

msblackjack January 4th, 2008 08:00 AM

that is just tooo strange

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 4th, 2008 09:40 AM

You ain't trying to bump Mrs Kuki off, are ya, Kuki?

Your comment about Sammy reminded me of when years ago I had a German Shepherd, and he was big, 145lbs and we BOTH got skunked!
I smelled like shiit for an entire week and literally quarantined myself in my office at work.

But seriously, hope everything is OK with your Mrs and wishing her a speedy recovery from that bruise/bump.

Captain :)

ready2gonow January 4th, 2008 10:03 AM

Wow, Kuki! Did you look outside to see if there was a UFO or the planets were aligned, or eclipse, or something? LOL

I'm glad that it was all a coincidence. I think a nap would be in order.

rinker250 January 4th, 2008 10:30 AM

Very strange.

The smell of skunk out here is distinctly different than that of natural gas.
Odd that the gas man and fireman each thought it was one of the two.

Do you think it was the skunk smell that made her pass out?

CruisinK n J January 4th, 2008 12:22 PM

As soon as I saw the words "rotten egg," I thought hydrogen sulfide, sometimes called sewer gas. Hydrogen sulfide can be dangerous and is quite common in oil refineries. Here in California, a worker was overcome by H2S. He and another man who tried to rescue him died.

Go to Wikipedia and read about the hazards and effects.

Hydrogen sulfide exposure should never be taken lightly.

I hope Geela's doctor finds she's alright. It is bad enough that she has to put up with a moose.

Keith

beenie weenie January 4th, 2008 12:55 PM

Oh M I thought I was the only one who had stuff like that happen. Glad to hear there are no gas leaks. Hope she is doing well and doesn't have an encore performance. Perhaps it was a bit of low blood pressure from getting up too quickly? Or an ear vertigo thing... Hopefully nothing serious. Keep an eye on her and we wish you both our best.

mehawk January 4th, 2008 02:13 PM

We hope Geela checks out fine. What a tough night for ya'll.

nolou525 January 4th, 2008 02:25 PM

Kuki--when's the movie being made? :D

What a night. I can't believe the series of events you went through. Hope that everything is okay with Geela.

Cruznut2 January 4th, 2008 03:40 PM

Spooky!

Laura

Mgram January 4th, 2008 03:46 PM

Wow, that's crazy.......and scary! Sure hope you get to the bottom of this and that Geela doesn't have a reoccurence.

John F January 4th, 2008 04:46 PM

We sure hope Miss Geela checks ok. That is a very scary situation. Lets us
know how she is Kuki. John & Priscilla :?: :?:

Phil&Liz January 4th, 2008 05:10 PM

Hope Mrs Kuki is doing ok now.

I know you have to vent a gas leak but in your neck of the woods isn't it a bit chilly to open windows!?

Phil & Liz

rollerdonna January 4th, 2008 09:45 PM

Verrrry Interesting...... Funny, a co-worker told me today about coming home to a rotten egg smell in their practically brand new house. Then they remembered something their builder had told them about flushing out the drains (basement and garage) every 4 months to avoid just such a smell. They had forgotten to do it since the summer, hence, the smell. I wonder if there's any chance you have the same problem?

Meanwhile, glad to hear Geela is OK, and that Sammy was NOT skunked!

donna