Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Default 1973 vs 2003 VW Beetle Experience

my next door neighbor of 3 years happens to own a 1973 orange VW Super Beetle and also happens to be a very beautiful single young lady in her early 30's....
It just so happens that in my youth I owned the exact same model and year (only mine was black)

Today, we both happen to be washing our beetles (I own a 2003 VW black turbo beetle), in our front yards and I finally worked up the courage to ask her for a test ride..of course I offered to let her drive my beetle

What a difference 30 years makes both in engine power and ride, but driving her 73 beetle brought back great memories to my misspent youth she happens to have an 8 track player in hers so I was also able to dust off my old 8 track tapes and play them for the first time in 30 plus years, and surprisingly they sounded pretty good, but no where near the sound of my Blaupunk system in my beetle for my CD's

brought back alot of great memories and for a brief moment I wished I was 20 years younger so I could go parking at the drive in with my neighbor

oh well, back to reality..have any CM posters had an opportunity to have a flashback to their misspent youth ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Hey Venice,wash her car a few times for her...
and you might get lucky.

I won(bought) an old reel to reel on Ebay that had
a built in 8 track tape.....went up into the attic,
and brought down some classics 8 tracks
still sound great!
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Venice,
I go thru those same exact motions on a daily basis, the Mrs says it's that famous midlife crisis, although mine seems to have been going on for about 9 years now!
Btw, I used to work on those VWs in my engineering days, I seem to rememebr the Super Beetle had a 1592cc 4-cylinder horizontally opposed air-cooled motor.
Ah, the fabulous 70s!

Captain
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Captain..ah yes, the 73 super beetle,,the forerunner to the 03 turbo

Will..when I see my neighbor washing her beetle the words "heart condition" comes to my mind..plus she is just alittle older then my son and when he and my grandson comes to visit and they are playing in the front yard, she always is a good neighbor and comes over and says hi..it's something about those F-15 fighter pilots who drive Porsche boxsters that bring out the best in my neighbors

Will you will also appreciate that I ran across an old Playboy "Key" club card from the 70's when I use to go to the Playboy Resort on a weekly basis in New Jersey..my goal now is to go on the 1st Playboy Jazz Cruise almost a year from now (1/25/09) on the Westerdam and bring the card and have your buddy Hugh Hefner autograph it for me
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Admiral

The year was 1973, but I'm not sure about the car. It was a red VW Beetle, convertible, Rod Stewart's Maggie May was on the radio, and very happy memories were made..... That's all I'm gonna say....

donna
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
The year was 1973, but I'm not sure about the car. It was a red VW Beetle, convertible, Rod Stewart's Maggie May was on the radio, and very happy memories were made..... That's all I'm gonna say....

donna
wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you.....it's late September and I really should be back at school.........I know I keep you amused.............

ah, backseat love I remember my original Mini............color: Caroline Yellow...........fogged windows & all!
32 years later, I doubt if I would fit thru the door of a Mini let alone make my way to the back seat............LMAO LMAO ROFLAMO

Captain
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

ah yes memories in the back seat of your first car..that could be a whole other thread :o
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Well I didn't have a Vdub in '73 but I did have a '62 ford falcon in '73. It was a "three on the tree" and had a 4 track in it with an 8 track adapter.

Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Jewel OTS 3/2016
Harmony OTS 12/2016
Serenade OTS 12/2016
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

73 VW Bug as we called them back then. The floorboard was missing in the back, so there was a wooden plank across it, to keep the water and mud from getting us wet as we drove. In the high school year book is a picture of us in it, with our feet on the ground which looked like we were making it go with our feet.

Gas was 35 cents a gallon. We would all put in a dollar, and have enough gas for the weekend, and most of the next week.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Admiral

ah yes, the Flintstone mobile...Luanne you do know that VW is coming out with an updated version of the Micro Bus this year..that will really bring back some memories for the flower power generation
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Anybody remember the VW bus that Hurley found on the island, and that fun ride down the mountain to the tune of 3 Dog Night's "Jambala"?
Yes, I am referring to LOST, in case you think I've "lost: my mind.....

donna
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Venice, my first car was a 1968 Beetle in white, I quickly graduated to the VW bus and then camper. Here is a picture of my 1970 Bus that is all original. This was last NYE on the sands of St Augustine beach.

This next photo is my favorite VW of all time and is a 1975 camper in green. This pic was circa 1987 on the way to a wedding and when Don Johnson was still popular!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Admiral

DTW..great pictures..did you wear socks back in those days and did you have a pet alligator "Elvis" also ?...if we ever wind up on the same cruise together, for formal night we can take a picture all dress up as Crockett and Tubbs..the real question is which two of our female CM'ers will dress up as the two female detectives
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I did not wear socks, shaved every 3 days and smoked Merits. I am sure we can find some CM'ers to play the roles. I am 43 days away from my next adventure and 72 days away from the one after that. Then I will take a break. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10