Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Default Would You Pay More $$$$$ For A Full Charter Theme Cruise ???

Would you pay more (in this case 45%) to go on a full charter theme cruise ..or to state it another way...would you opt out to go on a regular cruise every year or a full charter theme cruise every other year

How much more would you pay (in a percentage above rack rate) to pursue both your passion for cruising and your passion for __________ (you fill in the blank) ?

My friend, who loves to cruise (when I pay of course :o :o ), thinks it's not worth the extra money and would prefer to do a regular cruise every year...because I have now been spoiled by doing both partial and full charter smooth jazz cruises..my dream is to do the first ever Playboy Jazz Cruise on the Westerdam the week of Jan 25th thru Feb 1 2009 but to do it would mean a major sacrifice (or a small lottery win)

fyi..my friend (who is female) thinks I want to go on the Playboy cruise to see the Playmates and I assure her it's strictly for the music and to read the articles in the magazine and meet and have my picture taken with Hugh Hefner ..I've assured her if she doesn't want to go that one of my male fellow CM posters (Dave The Wave, Mean Dean and Will) would gladly be my cabin mate
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Admiral

I say yes. A full charter of like minded people enjoying the same entertainment/activities is wonderful. Luckily, my Jazz cruise this spring is not costing any more than the regular cruise the next week. However, the Jazz cruise is sold out and there is still room on the second segment of my back to back.

Go for the Playboy Jazz cruise....it will be memorable.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice:

That's a tough question and one I would have to think long and hard about.

If it was something along the lines of sports, fishing or cooking then I might consider it otherwise I would probably say no. There may be some music cruises I would consider but the performers would have to be fairly good and actually play and not just show up for a one time "Hi, Howya doing?".

I know I would avoid some affinity cruises like the plague. There are certain types of music, politics, games and other things that I steer away from.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Marc and Mike..good points..Mike...Playboy Magazine is sponsoring their first cruise as part of their celebration of the 30th year of sponsoring the Playboy Jazz Festival which is one of the premier Jazz Festivals in the world so with the Playboy Foundation Background and it's resources this will be a major event ..they have not completed their announcement of the line up,,,,but so far everyone artist is either a multi Grammy winner or nominee and they represent all segments of jazz..Marcus Miller (multi Grammy Winner and host of the cruise), Herbie Hancock (Multi Grammy Winner),Dianne Reeves (multi Grammy nominated jazz vocalist), Keb Mo (Mississippi Blues Grammy Winner), Pancho Sanchez (Latin Big Band Grammy winner), Roy Hargrove(multi Grammy winner), James Carter Trio (Grammy nominated), Eldar (Russian Jazz pianist), Roberta Gambarini (Grammy nominated big band vocalist)and from New Orleans New Birth Brass Band (Grammy nominated), so I am sure the artist will be very involved because they understand the importance of this event...since it's a Playboy Magazine event, I'm sure there will be plenty of movie stars, professional athletes, world renown authors and oh yea a few PMOY onboard for daily distractions
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Mike,

I got the most funny picture in my mind of a fishing cruise. All these people standing next to the rail, fishing.

I would not pay extra, if I could only cruise every two years. Life is to short, and the ocean draws me to it more often.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Luanne..have you been talking to my female cruising friend again, because that is just what she says

an even better mental picture would be all of them at the life boat drill with the orange life vest on and having the Playboy Playmates give the safety drill and talk about "flotation devices "

Ask your husband Jim if you hated cruising and never wanting to be anywhere near the ocean or a cruise ship again, if you gave your blessing, would he go (assumption that he loved jazz)
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Luanne..just curious, outside of your family and teaching your kids, what is your passion or hobby ?
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Luanne..have you been talking to my female cruising friend again, because that is just what she says

an even better mental picture would be all of them at the life boat drill with the orange life vest on and having the Playboy Playmates give the safety drill and talk about "flotation devices "

Ask your husband Jim if you hated cruising and never wanting to be anywhere near the ocean or a cruise ship again, if you gave your blessing, would he go (assumption that he loved jazz)
I asked Jim, and he said that although he doesn't care for Jazz, he would go anyway for the bunnies.

I have to go now. After I pick him up off the floor, he is going to explain to me what he meant.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Venice count me in
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

I think the only thing that would have me pay extra for a chartr cruise would be if Jimmy Buffett were to do a specialty cruise. Can you imagine a whole ship full of Parrotheads partying all week to Jimmy's music? WOW!

donna
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Luanne..while Jim is knocked out..go get one of those "tats" that come off in 7 days in the form of a bunny in a "sensitive" spot, and then wake Jim up and tell him he doesn't have to go on the Playboy cruise to see a bunny
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Donna count me in on that one !!!!

Venice I vote with your female friend. I'd much rather go every year.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Admiral

geez...as long as I live I will never understand the thought process of a woman (maybe that is why I am single)

I started cruising in 1974 and have over 30 cruises to my resume..my ex wife whose family started me in cruising probably has over 50, all on major cruise lines to the caribbean and would not ever entertain cruising in any other forum or destination

When I went on my first smooth jazz cruise in 2005 on the Conquest I got spoiled and could not fathom going on a "regular" cruise ever again, I think I would be bored (and that's saying something for me)..I am also expanding this year (with the Grace of God), into doing a France River Barge on Peter Deilmann and a Maine Windjammer (for a weekend)

At least for me to do an European cruise (my all time favorite is still Royal Olympic Cruises "Olympia Explorer" out of Venice in Sep 2005) requires saving for at least 2 years and not cruising in the interim...my lady friend that cruises alot with me over the years would rather take the same funds and cruise every year to the caribbean..she has no desire to do the Maine Windjammer and is not exactly over excited about doing the River Barge out of Lyon France...it's good for my sake that she's ok with me doing both with some other friends of mine, but she is not excited about me doing the Playboy cruise without her..I invited her to join us ..

I would appreciate if my female CM posters would explain a woman's logic behind this..of course I would have no problem cruising every year to the caribbean if she paid for it
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

I think I would feel intimated by a playboy cruise. A brunch of playmates and movies stars. Sounds depressing, now if it was the chippendales that would my kind of party. Would I pay 45% more it depends can I use my cruise points.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Kat...when I speak to Hugh Hefner next time, I'll pass on your request to have your favorite male dancers onboard
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Kat...when I speak to Hugh Hefner next time, I'll pass on your request to have your favorite male dancers onboard
Thank you

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994