Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Default Miracle Cruise, Part 8

Miracle Cruise, Part 8
Day 7 Fri. Feb. 1/08
Sea Day

Up early after a restless night with a lot of chest pain. Not much sleep.
There was so much going on today that I had to make a list of all the things I wanted to do or see!

First on the agenda though, was a return visit to the infirmary to pick up the bill, which was enough to really give me a coronary!
Then, there was the Inch of Gold sale, souvenir-shopping, arts & crafts, a draw for a gem, trivia, photos to pick up, and of course, time to lie in the sun!

The best thing going on today however was a recent initiative taken by Carnival on behalf of the Susan G. Komen Foundation for the Cure (for Breast Cancer). It's called "Walk for the Cure" and for a $10 donation, you get a T-shirt, a pink rubber bracelet, and are registered to walk in the "Miracle Walk" around the ship at an appointed time.
So at 10:30 am, several hundred women (and men) showed up outside the Bacchus Dining Room in their white T-shirts and pink bracelets, and after a rousing speech by our CD Brent Mitchell who led the walk, we set off.

We walked 3 complete turns around the outside deck, and partially inside through the very pretty Gatsby's Garden, equalling the "Miracle Mile", and when the walk was completed, there was complimentary Pink Lemonade for everyone.

I had a great time participating with my new friend Monique. The walk was invigorating, and the views priceless!

I thought it was a great idea for Carnival to promote, and a great cause as well. It certainly brought out the camaraderie and community spirit of all those who participated, many of them survivors.

After this busy morning, I was finally able to plant myself in a deck chair in the sun and relax, with my Century CD in my walkman and a good book. Best afternoon all week!

My relaxing afternoon passed all too quickly, and soon it was time to get ready for the early show before dinner.
Tonight's big show was called "Ticket to Ride" a tribute to the Beatles, and it was preceded by some great old video footage of early live performances by the Beatles, and Beatlemania at it's best. It was worth going to the show just to see the video!

The show itself was amazing, especially if you are a die-hard Beatle fan like myself. The music, costumes, props, and innovative interpretations of various stages of the Beatles' career were very well orchestrated by the Carnival dancers and singers. There was also a fantastic performance by the Filipino band "Music Unlimited", dressed up as the Fab Four in Sgt. Pepper regalia, and sounding very much like the real thing.
Bright green glow sticks were handed out to the audience for the grand finale, which saw everyone dancing, singing and waving glow sticks in a shower of silver confetti. It was quite the show-stopper!

Between the ending of the show in the theatre, and the start of dinner at the other end of the ship, we had arranged to meet with our friends Donna & Wayne to have a formal portrait taken together, since this was our last formal night.
The logistics were difficult, as this was the busiest time on the ship with the changeover from dining room to theatre and vice versa. The main thoroughfare was crowded and people were lined up for photos, but we persevered and we got a pretty nice portrait, if I do say so myself!

Just an aside here. One of our friends' complaints about Carnival was the quality of their photographs, or perhaps the non professionalism of their photographers. Both my friends wear glasses, and had repeated problems with glare on their glasses in their photos. They were told several times that nothing could be done to correct this, while they said that on Royal Caribbean last year, the same problem was taken care of professionally. The only advice they were given was to "tilt your head down slightly to avoid the glare." That is why in the photo Wayne looks like he's holding in his chin!

Dinner in the Bacchus Dining Room. As I mentioned before, we had been having very slow dining room service all week, never leaving the dining room until after 10pm. We never complained because frankly, we were just enjoying each others' company so much and were so engrossed in conversation we hardly noticed.
However, this night it was getting bothersome. The Maitre 'D dimmed the lights for "Showtime" taking all the waiters away to dance, when we had not even been served our entrees yet!
When my husband's Chateaubriand finally arrived, he couldn't even cut it with a steak knife, and sent it back, asking it to be changed for the fish. He waited another 15 minutes for the fish to arrive, and when it did, it was cold, and still had the original potatoes and vegetables on the plate that had been served with the beef!
When the meal was finally over (and the whole dining room had already emptied), we ordered 3 coffees at our table, only 1 of which arrived. All 3 couples decided we would not return to the dining room for the last night of the cruise.
James and I had our free dinner at Nick & Nora's to look forward to, and the other 2 couples decided to either go to the buffet or order room service. Our waiters nor our Maitre 'D got any tips from us that week.

After dinner we went to see the R-rated comedy of comedian Jeff Laub, who we'd seen at least twice previously on Carnival ships. I tried hard not to laugh, because it still hurt my chest so much to laugh, but I couldn't help it, even though I'd heard the jokes before.

We were tired after the comedy show and were headed for bed, but in passing by Frankie & Johnnie's we heard Music Unlimited starting a set of Bee Gees disco dance numbers, so we stopped in there for some dancing and filming before retiring for the night. Yes, filming. I married Steven Spielberg apparently; he filmed everything on the ship!
By the time the band took a break, we were really tired, and chose to skip the Gala Midnight Buffet, and just go to bed.

Good Night!
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Did anybody notice my CruiseMates Cruise of the Century keychain on my bum pack in the photo after the breast cancer walk?

donna
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Very good review over your 8 posts Donna.

We found similar gripes about the cruise.

Our service in the dining room was also slow. Although I did tip the waiter but not tip the Maitre 'D. For all his "Mr V the Maitre 'D" stuff he only stopped by once for like 5 seconds the whole cruise and he just seemed cheezy. Him bobing around in a tux with his fake dread locks and rasta hat will be a lasting memory that I cant forget fast enough. We did take off tips for the waiter the couple nights that the service was very slow and the nights we didnt eat in the dining room. Normally I let this slide but I really didnt feel the need to go the extra step.

Another gripe is why cant anyone except RCCL get the sports bar thing right. I mean they had soap operas on one day when I was in there. I know we cant expect the same programing down there as in the states but in the cabin you could get ESPN or ESPN Des Portes or whatever so why not in the sports bar for cripes sake. I asked the bartender once and he said he cant change the channel and its whatever they set it at down below. Hello..... its supposed to be a sports bar not the waiting room for the slots tournament.

The room steward wasnt as timely as I would have expected also. There was a couple times we left late morn after sleeping in and left the tag to clean up the room on the handle. We then returned in the middle of the afternoon only to find our room hadnt been made. He did keep our collapsable cooler stocked with ice all week. We left him a little something extra for that. On RCCL they breeze through three or more times a day it seems.

But over all we never had to cook or run the dishwasher all week and this one was all about the secret balcony any way so alls well that ends well.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the Pics. I was surprized with the breast cancer walk and cried when seeing the pictures. My sister Judy died on Easter last year with breast cancer. She so loved cruises. Because of many unfortunate circumstances, she only had the chance to cruise twice.The Big Red Boat and RCCL. I do miss her.
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II