Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Default AirTran canceled our direct flight to FLL.

I had no idea that this happened until one of the people in our group noticed that our flight is no longer on the site. I called and I was told that we are now on a connecting flight in Atlanta. We have our funpasses filled out with all our orginial information.

The girl from AirTran did say that after they cancel a direct, to keep looking on thier site and if we see another direct flight added, then we are to call and we will get it. This was not reassuring to us at all.

If the change wasn't caught, we would have never known that this happened. No one from Airtran called any of us to let us know this change.

Is this done a lot?

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Darlene it seems to heppen more frequently these days. Generally my expereince has been, if the new flight times deviate more than 90 minutes from the original flight time they will generally give you an option of choosing a better flight that will fit your schedule or a refund. So if you can find a reasonably priced direct or better flight on another airline that works better, you might call Airtran back and ask if you can get a refund.

It would not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling if they didn't notify me of the change as soon as it happened. I don't like it when they change our flights in the first place but it would really frost my buns if they didn't have the common courtesy to notify me.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Captain

I had the same thing happen with AirTran out of Dayton, Oh. There were 26 in our group and they cancelled our flight and put us on another. They did send me an email asking me to call them. They rebooked us on a flight that connected in BWI. It did make us leave Dayton 2 hrs earlier than planned, then a longer layover at BWI, arrived in FLL about the same time as the original booking was. The return flight never changed so it went ok. I am surprised you were not notifed of the change. They gave me the option of a full refund if I needed to cancel the original booking. I looked for another airline but the cost was so much more we just took the change.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Beenie:
I sure couldn't take it out on the poor girl who is only answering the phone. We book with the groups department of AirTran, so I am not sure if we can get a refund or not. We have paid in full also.

I sent our contact person with groups an email and told her I was not a happy camper that I was not notified about this change. I doubt that anything will happen there.

I did sign up for the AirTran flight discounts notice. I will see how many I get

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Darlene, I seem to remember in one of my posts, I am not quite sure it was with you, I had posted how unreliable that darn airline is. If I find the post, I'll give you a link to it!

Captain
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Captain:
First let me say...WELCOME BACK! We missed your posts

I don't remember talking to you about the AirTran, unless you mean all the airlines in general

I hope you had a great time on your cruise.

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWITCH 13
Captain:
First let me say...WELCOME BACK! We missed your posts

I don't remember talking to you about the AirTran, unless you mean all the airlines in general

I hope you had a great time on your cruise.

Darlene

Thanks for the welcome back Darlene, we had a great time. Head over to the Carnival boards, I posted a nice, long review, I think you'll like it. I also have a couple of threads with some pics that I think you'll like too.

Here's a direct link to my Elation review, check it out:
www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=590443

As regards AirTran, I distinctly remember posting about them and their unreliable service, I think it might have been one of my earlier posts on CruiseMates. Maybe it was not related to one of your posts though, although I remember someone posting a reply that they had used them on a regular basis without any problems. As I said, if I find the post, I'll provide you with a link.

Captain
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, its happened to me too, just happened to check flights and noticed that I was now on a different flight that would not work. Took some time and a few phone calls to work it out, but you think you are all set and bam!! Unfortunately it does happen, hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Your post should serve as a reminder to all that you should check your air booking from time to time. I've had our flights changed on serveral occasions. If you catch it soon enough, you can usually call and work something out. It happened to me with AirTran also. I called them they gave me an earlier flight in the day and it actually ended up being a little cheaper. While they didn't refund my money, they did give me a credit to use on my next flight with them. I have also found that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you call and explain (in a nice manner) that the flights just don't work for you, I found they go out of their way to find one that does.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM
First Mate

You asked if this is done alot.... and since I work for an airline (not Airtran) I will try to answer your question. It is not unusual that a flight changes, as the airlines continually make schedule changes. The airline I work for does contact passengers that have booked via our website or through our reservations system. However, if you bought ticket via a travel agent or an online travel company, they are informed of the schedule change and it is the booking companies responsibility to inform their customer of the changes. (Just as a side note - several of the big internet companies do a terrible job of this and often leave their customers unaware of the changes).

Another tip for those who book airfares... just so that you get what you really want.
DIRECT flights will fly from one city to another city but will make a stop in an intermediate city before reaching its final destination, usually on the same aircraft.
NON-STOP flights go from origin to destination with no stops. Many people get these two confused.
CONNECTING flights originate in a city and you change planes to a different flight on a differnt plane in the airlines hub, which takes you to destination.

Many people book direct flights thinking that it is a non-stop only to be disappointed when they find out differently. When booking online, always look for something to indicate that there is a stop enroute, as the airline sites will always show this.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Admiral

Just a note about AirTran. I found out about this after a flight in 1999 on ValueJet from Florida to Texas.

Quote:
In July 1997, AirWays Corporation announced a merger with ValuJet Airlines. In one of the U.S. airline industry's first reverse mergers, ValuJet was re-named AirTran Airways in 1997. This was done because the firm's public image never recovered from the crash of ValuJet Flight 592. On September 24, 1997 the parent company became AirTran Holdings Inc, and operations under new management began on September 1, 1998.
This is the flight that blew up because of illegal cannisters being loaded aboard and the flight crashed into the swamps of the everglades.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Admiral

My MIL on her flight back to CO from FL was stuck in Baltimore<I think> and had to stay over night at a hotel. She will NEVER fly airtran again even if it would be for FREE!
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM
Yeoman

My daughter is flying on AirTran the end of this month for a real estate agent/broker convention in Las Vegas. When she first told me about what airline she is taking, I about croaked! Her boss is paying all expenses so I guess she's stuck.....
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Beginner

We were actually on our cruise when US Airways decided to change our return flight home.

Needless to say we missed our flight as they changed us from a 2:00 p.m. to a 10:00 a.m. flight. THey wanted to charge us for not taking that flight. But I raised heck as they did not notify us and we were on a cruise. We had to wait and take a 4:00 flight.

All airlines anymore keep changing flight times without notifying you. I check all the time before we leave to go anywhere.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Some of the posts were disturbing.
I have not been on a flight in 8 years, well before 911. This is all so new again. We chose AirTran because fo the great prices. I have been in contact with our group person there and she is very kind and helpful.

It seems like she will help out with any problems...I hope

I will keep my eye on the airlines web site and look for a better flight.

I just hope one becames available...we do have 3 months...

Darlene(Red)
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWITCH 13
Some of the posts were disturbing.
I have not been on a flight in 8 years, well before 911. This is all so new again. We chose AirTran because fo the great prices. I have been in contact with our group person there and she is very kind and helpful.

It seems like she will help out with any problems...I hope

I will keep my eye on the airlines web site and look for a better flight.

I just hope one becames available...we do have 3 months...

Darlene(Red)
Darlene, I hope my posting wasn't deeply disturbing. Whereas, it is very true, and I was disturbed upon the realization of it, I have confidence in them and would fly them again as they are among the newest fleet in the industry. Accidents happen. As I tell anyone who is afraid to put their fate into anothers' hands... "Do you think that pilot or (fill in the blank) really wants to injure himself?" Obviously no. They want to go home afterwards to their loved ones also.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Thank you Michael
We will fly with Airtran this time. I just have to keep watching to see if they put another non-stop direct flight back on by May.

I was sort of disturbed, but not enough to change. We got a very good rate and it does look like they will do what ever it will take to get us there within a good time bracket.

Darlene(Red)
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Darlene
As someone who flies AirTran frequently out of Atlanta I would not be overly concerned. I am sure some people have had issues with them (as have I) but overall I do not find them to be much different than most other airlines. I can site many issues when Delta left me stranded or US Air lost my luggage but it's all just part of flying. Relax.........
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Admiral

You guys are the best!!!!!

I am relieved to hear that this does happen more than just to us.

I don't think anything can take away the excitement of the cruise.

I love reading and posting on these boards...I don't know how I survived my past cruises with these???? I have learned so much.

Darlene(Red)
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
My daughter is flying on AirTran ..............so I guess she's stuck.....
Personally, I have had much worse luck with Delta. In a previous job I lived in Atlanta and flew in and out of there many times a month. Flying in and out of ATL means using both those airlines, especially if you are going up and down the east coast.

When AirTran messes up (either through something sort of avoidable like maintenance, or unavoidable i.e. weather), they try to remedy it. When Delta messes up they just get smug and nasty.
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegan36604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
My daughter is flying on AirTran ..............so I guess she's stuck.....
Personally, I have had much worse luck with Delta. In a previous job I lived in Atlanta and flew in and out of there many times a month. Flying in and out of ATL means using both those airlines, especially if you are going up and down the east coast.

When AirTran messes up (either through something sort of avoidable like maintenance, or unavoidable i.e. weather), they try to remedy it. When Delta messes up they just get smug and nasty.
I guess that comes with the territory, huh? You know, the poor new guy on the block gets a bloody nose once in awhile by the bigger guy. My DD will be flying out of Atlanta too. I'm sure everything will be just fine, I just worry too much.....