Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default AIRLINES!

:evil: I purchased airfare through Delta for the first time for our cruise in May. Our ticket has changed 4 times in the last 2 weeks. I was informed the "minimum" layover in Atlanta is 50 minutes. I looked today at our ticket and our layover time is now down to 5 MINUTES! :evil:
How can they do this to passangers and then tell them "this is the ticket you purchased..." I am really tired of Delta already.
Has this happened to anyone and with the pending merger between Delta and Northwest what are the chances of this problem being corrected??
Thanks for listening Any and all replys welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Admiral

It doesn't have anything to do with the possible impending merger.

If they've really given you a five minute connect time, call them and patiently explain that they've made an error and to please give you a different itinerary.
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

I will not comment on the airlines but as someone who flies out of Atlanta frequently I will tell you that the "minimum" layover in Atlanta of 50 minutes is very necessary. I would not be comfortable with less. Check your options.
HAL Statendam, MSC Divina
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Admiral

The problem with the airlines is that they are the only high-speed mode of long-distance travel. Due to that fact, they have a monopoly, and as such can do pretty much whatever they want.

If we don't like it, what are we going to do about it? Take the bus..........?

Dean
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: AIRLINES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnme
:evil: I purchased airfare through Delta for the first time for our cruise in May. Our ticket has changed 4 times in the last 2 weeks. I was informed the "minimum" layover in Atlanta is 50 minutes. I looked today at our ticket and our layover time is now down to 5 MINUTES! :evil:
How can they do this to passengers and then tell them "this is the ticket you purchased..." I am really tired of Delta already.
Has this happened to anyone and with the pending merger between Delta and Northwest what are the chances of this problem being corrected??
Thanks for listening Any and all replies welcome.
Take AR's advice and call the airline. They will work with you. It is not in their interest to have you miss the connecting flight. If customer service agent you speak with isn't accommodating then speak with a supervisor. Also, make sure you point out that it is impossible to make a connecting flight in five minutes.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

maybe they will switch you to a direct flight.

Old February 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
boSeaphus - I don't think that would be much fun as it would be a plane that seats about 30
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
The problem with the airlines is that they are the only high-speed mode of long-distance travel. Due to that fact, they have a monopoly, and as such can do pretty much whatever they want.

If we don't like it, what are we going to do about it? Take the bus..........?

Dean
Sorry Dean I'm gotta get picky with you.
A Monopoly is is a persistent situation where there is only one provider of a product or service in a particular market. Monopolies are characterized by a lack of economic competition for the good or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods.

An oligopoly is a market form in which a market or industry is dominated by a small number of sellers (oligopolists). The word is derived from the Greek for few sellers. Because there are few participants in this type of market, each oligopolist is aware of the actions of the others. The decisions of one firm influence, and are influenced by the decisions of other firms.

Airlines are an Oligopolies not a Monopoly, sorry economics was my favorite subject in high school. Think of the airlines like a cartel.

Oligopolistic competition can give rise to a wide range of different outcomes. In some situations, the firms may collude to raise prices and restrict production in the same way as a monopoly. Where there is a formal agreement for such collusion, this is known as a cartel.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by boSeaphus

Good job on "monopoly," Kat.

And if I may pick a terminological nit as well, lots of people say "direct flight" when they mean to say "nonstop flight." A direct flight is one on which you don't have to change planes enroute to your destination, but you will make one or more stops. A nonstop flight is exactly that: no stops between your origination and destination airports. The two terms are not interchangeable.

My father-in-law used to go nuts because he never grasped the difference and would always complain when his flights stopped enroute. "I told them I wanted a direct flight," he'd yell. When we told him that's exactly what he got, he'd go storming off.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Thanks AR we have anti trust laws for Monopolies but the laws to control an Oligopolies are different. We do have US laws against colluding to raise prices and restrict production. Oligopoly are also subject to "Game Theory/Nash equilibrium" thank you John Nash and monopolies are not. It's fun to watch the TV show "Survivor" and think about team theory. Some of these players really could use a couple of economics classes.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Default Delta Issue!

I used Delta last October for the first time to Ft. lauderdale from San Francisco. The schedule changed many times going from 1hour to 9 hour layover in Atlanta. I called Delta and the person helped change to a more reasonable schedule. I not sure I could do nine hours in any airport. Mike
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Admiral

We are traveling in May. Our non-stop flight has just changed to a one stop in Atlanta for 40 minutes. I was told that maybe there will be another non-stop added at a later date. I will keep looking and call them if it happens, but I am not going to hold my breath.

We are flying with AirTran.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I finally broke down and called the airline. The lady I spoke with was very nice but unable to give me a satisfactory answer about changing flights so much She did get me on a connecting flight that is longer than 5 minutes after we land. So, as long as we don't have many more problems in the next 70 days. Should be good to go.
I just wish there was more control over what the airlines do to the customers. It seems there is no "customer service" any more :evil: Maybe some day when all the airlines merge into one they will have to re-think their service area. (sigh....wishful thinking)
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Admiral

So, you're saying that the Delta rep did solve your connect time problem and was very nice, and yet your conversation was unsatisfactory. I must be missing something. Seems like you got your problem solved by a nice person, which is usually viewed as good customer service.

And I think Kat might agree that wishing for a monopoly so that service will improve could be a misplaced wish. Monopolies seldom have any motivation to provide good service. Think cable companies, etc.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
So, you're saying that the Delta rep did solve your connect time problem and was very nice, and yet your conversation was unsatisfactory. I must be missing something. Seems like you got your problem solved by a nice person, which is usually viewed as good customer service.

And I think Kat might agree that wishing for a monopoly so that service will improve could be a misplaced wish. Monopolies seldom have any motivation to provide good service. Think cable companies, etc.
That is funny AR cause I was thinking the same thing.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

AR: I hope ALL FLIGHTS are NON-STOP flights. That stop in the middle might hurt just a smidge.
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry I tend to type slower than my brain works (and some times my mouth )
Yes the lady was nice and it wasn't her fault for the problem. However, I am still upset because of all the changes and the lack of caring (for better terms) of Delta towards it customers.
Overall, I think I am just grumpy because of all the flight changes in the last couple weeks with no warning from Delta. If I hadn't been bored and decided to check on our flights. I wouldn't know of the change. But I know, it is my responsibility to keep track of that stuff. You can bet I will be checking my flights everyday until we leave now. :|
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Sherry,

You're right! I actually know those terms from economics, but used the incorrect one.

I guess my point is, is that there is only one form of high-speed, long-distance transportation -- air travel. And so, what I meant to say, is that air travel has a monopoly on high-speed, long-distance transportation.

Clear as mud now, right?!

Dean
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Sherry,

You're right! I actually know those terms from economics, but used the incorrect one.

I guess my point is, is that there is only one form of high-speed, long-distance transportation -- air travel. And so, what I meant to say, is that air travel has a monopoly on high-speed, long-distance transportation.

Clear as mud now, right?!

Dean
So what you are saying is Oligopolies have a Monopoly on high speed long distance travel. But don't forgot the Oligopolies also have a Geography Monopoly on the booze you can buy on board it's not like you can leave. I think that made that made it clearer.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Admiral

I wonder if this is what Jimmy Cliff had in mind when he wrote, "I Can See Clearly Now"............? 8)

Dean