Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Default Verbal Accents

Our country and because of the internet, the world on this site has all types of accents that we speak with. How many can be truthful and share what accent they speak with?

I used to have a very strong East Texas accent. After many years of working at it, I now have a midwest accent. the difference? I used to say I was HONGRY. Now I am hungry. Then I would say I was TARRED. Now I am tired. I used to want SQUAWSH. Now I want squash. I had a flat TAR. Now, I have a flat tire. She was KOOT. Now she is cute. You get the idea.

Who is next? LMMBO

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

I ain't telling, Mike!

Captain
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I have a southern accent with a New Orleans twinge! Beenie, well it's a northern accent to me, but she can elaborate. James and Joyce....sound just a little midwestern with northern polish! Crazysis is definitely a Cali girl who talks WAY TOO FAST! I barely catch every third word she says!

Melody
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Admiral

I dont think I have left over Dutch, but I am told by others that I do. Like a Dutch person will speak to me in Dutch and say "you speak Dutch". Most of it is blended with Montreal English ( EH!) but I know especially when tired Mother becomes Mudder, This becomes Dis, I guess it would be the "th" sounding things that you hear it in the most.
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
I dont think I have left over Dutch, but I am told by others that I do. Like a Dutch person will speak to me in Dutch and say "you speak Dutch". Most of it is blended with Montreal English ( EH!) but I know especially when tired Mother becomes Mudder, This becomes Dis, I guess it would be the "th" sounding things that you hear it in the most.
EH? <sorry, couldn't resist it>

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
EH? <sorry, couldn't resist it>
Oh I knew some one wasnt going to resist that one..........when I get to Antigua every year, some one will walk up to me and say "eh has arrived".....................

and another one. "Other" becomes often "Udder".....
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Hey, I'm from Pittsburgh, we have been labled with talking Pittsburgeez.

Words like..
"redd up" for cleaning
"Yinz"
"sprag" your feet to stop a wagon or scooter
"gum band" for rubber band
"chipped ham" for shaved ham, lunch meat

There are so many I want to list them all. I have a book on it!

Need I say more?
Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Interesting question, Michael. Whenever I step foot out of Texas, people usually guess that I'm from Texas! What accent is that? I use the term "fixin' to" often. I also tend to speak very slowly, that is definitely the southern in me.

I'm going to leave it to Michael and Trip to say what kind of accent I have. (Trip, Bruce has to stay out of it! )

I have tried to speak without any type of accent and I just can't do it!

BTW, Darlene (Redwitch), I have never heard of most of those terms! Glad you gave the definitions!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Everyone knows I have NO Accent:):):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I now have a combination, southern, and Texan. When I get tired, my southern comes out more. When I watch Steel Magnolias, it comes out even more.

Trip, You an accent? Nooooooo way!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Every time I cruise, Americans accuse me of having a French accent and of looking like Celine Dion. Both of those observations upset me because I'm not crazy about Celine Dion, and I am certainly not French, although I do speak it, it's with a decidedly English accent!

My hubby is the one with the accent, Welsh-born and English bred from the Chester/Liverpool area, he comes with several accents. He also has a strange habit of picking up on other people's accents when he talks to them!
You should have heard him imitating the Maitre 'D on the ship - he had our tablemates in stitches!

He also has lots of distinctly British expressions that most people wouldn't understand, but I know them all now!

donna
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:17 AM
Admiral

Oregonians don't really have accents. We pronounce words as they are pronounced in the dictionary.

Actually, I think this is a West Coast thing, because Washington and California don't have accents either.

Hmmm............

Dean
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:57 AM
Passenger

Too funny (eh?)

I was raised in downstate Michigan (no accent :-)) spent a little time in S. Carolina where someone suspected I must be from Virginia, judging from my accent (I'm quite impressionable, apparently), then moved to da UP (at my class reunion my husband was asked if he was from Canada).

The real question is, if you have a distinct accent, do you keep it if you move somewhere with another distinct accent?

Well, I like our Yooper/Canadian or whatever it is accent -- it's a good conversation starter! Say yah to da UP, eh?

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Whahahahahaha, I just have a Dutch accent all the way, ask Delfthuis, she know

Read and post cruise reviews

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:42 AM
Admiral

BEING FROM MONTREAL ALSO, I guess i have a slight french accent.
Comes out a little more when I have a few Molsons.
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Born and raised in the Boston area. I spent 35 years in NH and currently reside in FL. I still have my Boston accent.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Because I am from New York, folks in New Orleans say I have an accent, but the fact of the matter that folks who are born and raised in New Orleans sound more like New Yorkers then New Yorkers do
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Contrary to popular belief people from New Jersey do not say "Joisey" or talk like the Sopranos (some people from Brooklyn do ). There are three basic Jersey accents:

North - The closer to NY you hear things like "cawfee" for coffee, "chawclit" for chocolate. This is my native accent, however, I have lived in so many other places it has been diluted.

Mid-State - Closer to standard mid-west with a little of North Jersey.

South - This is basically a diluted Philly accent which uses very long o's.

Did you notice a theme here -- I don't have an accent, everyone else does?

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Laura and Trip,

I dont think you guys have an accent

Carnival Miracle
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

During our first military duty station, we met a couple from Boston. They had a daughter, and she stayed at my house most of the time. Not just to be babysat, but because we had such a good time together.

When the couple's mother came down, she was shocked at her grand baby, who had learned to talk by them.

G'ma asked her son what a DAWG was?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Oregonians don't really have accents. We pronounce words as they are pronounced in the dictionary.

Actually, I think this is a West Coast thing, because Washington and California don't have accents either.

Hmmm............

Dean
Dean... you are getting busted here . My last wife was from Arizona, Yuma as a matter of fact, and she had the California accent, what I call the west coast accent. That is probably what you have.

Old February 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Michael....the people from the West Coast (especially California), and those from New York seem like they don't have an accent. At least I don't hear it! They talk too d@mn fast! They don't even finish one word before the next one rolls out of their mouth.....there is absolutely no time for words to pick up an accent on the way out of their mouth! If they would slow down when they speak, I MIGHT hear an accent! I've just learned to nod my head and say "Yeah"! It works most of the time!

Melody
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Admiral

I really don't know if I have an accent or not - I guess RollerDonna would have to pass judgement. I'm sure I have some sort of New England accent.

At one of the stores on Tuesday (where I found "the dress" for Easter) the sales lady told me she loved my British Accent. It was all my niece and I could do not to burst out laughing. I have nothing like a Bristish Accent, so that is our joke for the week I guess.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Admiral

I grew up in North Jersey also (Morris County), and as a kid had roughly the accent Doug described for tat area. I went off to college near Chicago as a communication major and my first speech teacher, Hilda Fisher, pretty much drilled it out of me. I was grateful for this, because at the time I was also working in the radio biz, where the NJ/NY accent wasn't considered a plus. Fortunately, I evolved more or less into a standard American English sound, avoiding the midwest long flat "a." Today I don't believe anyone could peg my origins, and it's interesting to listen to old radio airchecks from the 60's, as my New Jersey roots were being erased.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
I grew up in North Jersey also (Morris County), and as a kid had roughly the accent Doug described for tat area. I went off to college near Chicago as a communication major and my first speech teacher, Hilda Fisher, pretty much drilled it out of me. I was grateful for this, because at the time I was also working in the radio biz, where the NJ/NY accent wasn't considered a plus. Fortunately, I evolved more or less into a standard American English sound, avoiding the midwest long flat "a." Today I don't believe anyone could peg my origins, and it's interesting to listen to old radio airchecks from the 60's, as my New Jersey roots were being erased.
Where in Morris County? I was raised in Dover.

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Cedar Knolls in Hanover Township, right next to Morristown.
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
First Mate

I grew up as a military brat..... my basic accent is Arkansas, overlaid with that of wherever we were living as I am a "monkey hear, monkey say" person.

After I married I lived in the Delta for 19 years so now, even though I am once again living in my home town, everyone asks me where I come from! I guess 19 years in the same place went too deep to lose. Most people say my accent is Mississippi or north Louisiana.
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Cedar Knolls in Hanover Township, right next to Morristown.
I have to point out that Morris County has the third highest median household income in the nation $77,340, and ranks tenth by per capita income. It is veddy veddy upscale. Having said that. Dover, where I grew up, is decidedly blue collar with The median income for a household in the town of $53,423.

AR is not from Dover, therefore he is one of them there rich kids .

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yeoman

I'm not sure that I have any accent being that I was born in Altoona, PA and spent a lot of time in Tyrone with my grandparents and cousins. Yep, Redwitch, we share that Pittsburgh twang....lol. Then my parents moved us to FL in '59 and I stayed there until '81, the state where no one seems to have a Southern accent, unless they're born here. From '81 until the present I've lived mostly in NC....the bible belt, land of barbeque with the sweet and red sauce, where the Southern accent is thick enuff to spread on a hot, buttermilk biscuit!
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
..............Dean... you are getting busted here . My last wife was from Arizona, Yuma as a matter of fact, and she had the California accent, what I call the west coast accent. That is probably what you have................

Your last wife? Do ya have a collection of 'em Mike? Or are you always on the lookout for the next ex-Mrs M?

Sorry, buddy, couldn't help myself! Hopefully no damage done!

Captain