Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default CM Roll Call - New and Old - Post to say HOWDY

We have MANY new folks who've been "moving into the CruiseMates neighborhood" , as well as all the old regulars. Let's all say HI and get to know each other a bit better.

I'm Kuki (but then you knew that ) born and living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Presently spending my 28th yr. with my bride, Mrs. Kuki. Two Kuki Jrs... one 26(just engaged to be married) and one 21 away at college at ASU in Tempe, Az.

Took our first cruise in Dec. 94, and now heading to somewhere around 60. After 30 + years in the hotel, bar and restaurant businesses, I sold out the business in Dec. 06. I'm presently looking for a new business here in Calgary. I'm at the stage I am getting tired of our winter climate, and might consider moving somewhwere warm, but I'm still blessed to have both of my parents alive (92 father & 80 mother) and even though they are managing to still live in their own home, I could never leave the city , and leave them. I also have a twin sister who lives in Pheonix, Az.

I began my "online life" as a live online chat host with Cruise Critic in 1996 - shortly after it began- and monitored the message boards there. 9 years ago I was asked to join CruiseMates. My job description was appealing... come have fun and write about it. How could I say no?

I get to write feature article, ship reviews, virtual cruise reports, and also am responsible for operating our CruiseMates Group Program. It'd be a dream job of it payed real money

Besides the big bucks, the best part of my job here at CruiseMates is getting to meet SO MANY GREAT FOLKS!! Sounds hokey I'm sure... but without all you who enjoy the site, and share the fun, and do our group cruises, my job would only be half the fun!!

Mind you, that would be the good half, where I get to cruise lots... But combing the cruising with meeting so many of you on ships, makes my job the best job in the world.

And second best is getting to hang around the message boards with you guys, exchanging cruise info, and having laughs.

I appreciate the old CM regulars, and welcome the new folks... and would like to get to know you better, so introduce yourselves.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi I am Laura, I go by Cruznut2 or as Kuki calls me, Nut2. I currently reside in Lakeland, Florida, A great place to live and meet lots of CruiseMates who either reside here or are passing through. I am originally from Massachusetts but lived in NH for many years. I have been cruising off and on since 1983 when I took my first cruise on Carnival's Festivale. I am a cruise addict since then. I work as direct support to persons with developmental disabilities. I love what I do.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM
First Mate

Hi all I am Melissa from NH. I am a daily luker on the boards. I took my first cruise in 2004 and second was a family cruise in 2006. My Dh and I have been married for almost 15 years and have an 11 DS who keeps us on our toes.

Carnival Miracle
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Hi , I am Maurice from Dublin, Ireland.
Never been on a cruise before - taking my first cruise , which will also be my honeymoon , this August to Alaska.
Still getting familiar with the website and the chats - been good fun and informative for me thus far.
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

HI I'm Jeanne, and my husband Ellis. Our 30th cruise is this Saturday! Where does the time go when we are having so much fun. Our first cruise was 1980, and we were hooked, but had to wait till 1994 when the kids were grown and out on their own to take our second cruise.. Now we are trying to make up for lost time.

We both are retired, and live in SE Florida. Wish we lived nearer to Orlando area so we could get to more dinners with you all, but huisaband is disabled and can't drive/sit for that long of a time.

We have 3 children between us and 2 beautiful grand chiuldren. No pets, because of allergies!!! Have met so many great people on the boards and hope to meet a lot more before we have to leave this great big world wel ivei n!
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Hi! I'm Melody and I live in Baton Rouge, LA. I've made great friends on this site and I've actually been lucky enough to meet a few of them and we've had some great times! I love to cruise! I'm recently single, so I've been recruiting cabinmates for cruises and I think this is even MORE fun! I can't wait to see all of you in New Orleans for the Blog2NOLA cruise! If anyone is "still on the fence"....just book it! It's cheap enough and something tells me it will be "the trip of a lifetime"!

I am actually the secret understudy for Kooter....I mean Kuki! I slink around the board and learn all I can because ONE DAY I WILL HAVE HIS JOB! Truthfully, I would jump at the chance! So, if Cruisemates is ever looking for a Southern Belle to join the team.....I'm your girl!

We joke around a LOT on these boards, but it is all in fun! Just remember, we don't ALWAYS mean what we say!

Melody
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

I am the Captain (49) and as Kuki can testify, I am the quiet one around here!

My better half is the Mrs (51).

Our upcoming cruise on Monday (booked last night) is #52 for me, #51 for her.

We both live to cruise!
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Hi! I'm Jennifer from Arizona. I took my first cruise in 1995 on the Carnival Fascination, and I eventually married my waiter! Jose is from Costa Rica, so we alternate vacations between cruises and visits to the family in Costa Rica. I've been visiting Cruise Mates since 2000 for cruising info, and I discovered the message boards in 2001 and I've been here ever since.
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Passenger

Hi all! I discovered this great web site recently when I was searching for information in the process of planning my first cruise and have been hooked on it (and spending way too much time here) ever since! I have one of those "big biggie" birthdays coming up in August (60!!!!) and since I've wanted for years to go to Alaska, and also have been wanting to go on a cruise vacation, decided to combine the two this year. When I "happened to mention" this idea to my husband, thinking his response would likely fall somewhere into the "that's too expensive" category, as we've been doing extensive remodeling on our house (AKA the money pit)for several years, he was at least as excited about it as I am! Our usual vacations consist of traveling to lower Michigan or Florida to visit with relatives, so this is going to be a pure treat. Living in northern Michigan I always anticipated taking a winter cruise to somewhere warm, but the thought of a chance to cruise *and* see Alaska was too much to resist.

Thanks to everyone here who shares their experience with those of us just starting out - this is really one of the best and most interesting forums I've ever seen.

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM
Admiral

I am Pat from West Central Florida. I have been hanging out here since September, 2000.

DH of 29 yrs and I have cruised well over 30 times (I have it written down somewhere) and have a couple on the books for May and June.....can't come soon enough.
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Passenger

I am Jayne. I just joined yesterday, so I have a lot to learn. Went on a cruise with a bunch of girls about 25 years ago, and June 2009 will be my second cruise with my sister's husbnads family. I went to Chicago with them last year and they are a great bunch. Its cruise number 2 for them. Actually, I have to go to the bank this morning, and call the travel agent and make this all official, but I am going to do it. It will be great to be on this board while I am getting more excited as the time passes.
Jayne
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Linda & Bruce checking in from right outside Boston. We have 3 kids, 5 grandkids, the latest, Lucy is 2 months. 3 dogs keep the house jumping! Bruce is a printer, & I work in a ladies boutique, and design and bead jewelry.

I have been here since Cruisemates was born, and so happy to be a chat host and a board moderator. We have met many Cruisemates, and if you get the chance to sail with a group, you too will know how much fun we have. I think, maybe cruise #20 is coming. It's great to welcome so many new members to the friendliest Cruise site on the web!

Next..................:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Guess I'm next Trip

Hi all,,,I'm travelnut aka Joanne and DH Dan checking in from coastal Va. We have been married for 41 years and have one beautiful daughter, smart son-in-law and 3 gorgeous grandsons,,3, 8, and 10.

We started cruising in 1994 and have been on 11 cruises with 2 more on the books. Yep we are hooked.

I stumbled on this place while researching one of our cruises several years ago and have been hanging around ever since.

Welcome to all you newbies,,,jump on in, we won't bite,,, honest !!

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default b

Hi Cruisemates!! We are Helen and Ray, some say Ray & Helen from Ocoee, Florida. Been living here since 1991. Before that we lived full time in a Motor Home. Did it for 10 years and visited every state in the US and all the Provinces of Canada.

Helen and I have been married for 66 years now and counting. We produced 6 children, 5 living, 18 grand Children and I think about 13 Great Grands. Gosh its hard to keep up.

We are Cruise addicts having 78 last week. Got 79, 80 and 81 booked. Looking forward to the next Transatlantic in April 2008 on Carnival Freedom, with our Cruisemates Group. That will be lots of fun. Then With the back to back cruise on the Fantesy with the Cruisemates again and the bloggers out of NOLA.

Gosh lots I can say but me I am a no talker in writing but I can be a good listener.

Ray

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
First Mate

Hi~~~we are Mike and Pat from San Diego. Wow, you guys ! I feel like a newbie. We only have 6 cruises so far.
I , (Pat) am retired from from the Sheriff's Office, and Mike still works for the local electric company.
We have 1 son, who is deaf, and a DIL, also deaf, who is from the Philippines.
We also have a 14 year old Siamese cat named "Baby"~~name appropriate.
I am so totally addicted to cruising, but Mike will not fly. So far we've only cruised from the West coast, but I think we have exhausted that venue.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Default CM Roll Call - New and Old - Post to say Howdy

Hi, I'm Judy and my DH is Keith. I've been hanging around CruiseMates for about five years. We took our first cruise in 1985 on what was then Sitmar. In Jan. 09, we look forward to our 16th cruise. My DH and I had the good fortune to meet a lot of CM's on back-to-back cruises last year.

My DH and I are retired. No pets anymore, but we did meet a really cute three-year-old Yorkie (gotten from the pound). Nothing like a personable little dog to give you the chance to meet new neighbors!

Judy
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Hi!!! This is Doug along with my lovely wife Marj. I have been around almost 58 years so far. We live in Marmora, New Jersey (Exit 25, Garden State Parkway) with 4 cats and 3 dogs. Oliver, the Persian cat and I are the only males in a sea of females and he is neutered (Some claim I should have been too ). Marj has 4 lovely daughters, so you can see why I rarely get my way!

Surrounding Marj (from bottom left) MikaLyn, Lona, Janna, and Marla

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

HOWDY!
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Familiar Face

Bill(51) and Leslie(46) from Pittsburgh, PA
We have two lovely daughters(18 & 16) and have just completed our 5th cruise, and have #6 booked. I'm mostly a lurker, but have learned so much about the ins and outs of cruising from these boards. The folks here are friendly and helpful!
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Default Hello All!

Mike and Carole Travel Mike, we live in Northern California, and only started crusing in 2001. Completed seven with three booked. I will retire in six Months and we plan to cruise at least twice a year in addition to taking trips around the US. I have traveled the US on business and managed to never see anything. Mike
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Hi everyone, Donna and James here, reporting in from Montreal. Quebec, Canada. A cold place that we love to get away from when we cruise!
I discovered CruiseMates about 6 years ago when we planned our first cruise since 1995. While searching for info, I found this message board and have been here ever since! Last year they made me a moderator, and I just love hanging around this place; so many wonderful people!

Between us we have 4 kids, only 1 still at home, along with a dog and a cat.
Just returned from our 10th cruise together and have already booked the next one for April!
Seeya around!

donna
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Yeoman

Hi, I'm Linda from NC and FL. I am blessed with 2 wonderful children and 5 grandkids who live in the same town I do in NC. I travel I-75 North every chance I can which usually is every other month or so. I'll be selling my FL home and moving back there full-time, hopefully this year or whenever the time is right. I haven't been on many cruises, but now that I've finally divorced the 'ol stick-in-the-mud, after 30 yrs., who never wanted to go anywhere, I hope to change that. The kids, g/kids and I went on a 7 day, family cruise last June (the Legend, out of Tampa) and had so much fun that now I have to go to NC next month to babysit grandkids while their parents go on another one.....I've created a monster...
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Hi ! my real name is Earl ( surprise surprise) . I am from montreal
I am some where in my fifies. did my first cruise with my ex wife
in 1986 aboard the Mardi gras (Carnival) and I have cruise 13 times
all in the Carribean. No. 14 coming up next year, going to the Panama canal for the first time aboard the Jewel of the sea. I might go in the fall if i can find a good price. i love reading about cruises. i can`t get enough of it. My girlfriend has to put a rag in my mouth sometimes to shut me up when I go on about cruises
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Hi, I'm Cindy from South Florida. My husband, Mort, and I recently celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary. We moved to Florida in 1975 and started cruising shortly after that. We've lost track of how many cruises we've been on, but the number is more than 30. We have 3 children, 2 grandchildren, a Chihuahua named Brandy and 2 parakeets, Moe and Curly.
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
First Mate

Hi all! I'm Dewayne, DW is Priscilla. I work in a factory making headliners for the automotive industry and Priscilla is a dental assistant at a pediatric dentist. We just completed our first cruise last week and are hooked!
We live in western Kentucky, about two hours north of Nashville, TN. Fell in love with cruising and all the cruisemates here. Y'all helped us lots with your advice prior to our cruise. Glad to see so many new people logging on.

Dewayne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Hi, I'm Phyll and I'm addicted to this site. :-)

My husband Jake and I started cruising about 10 years ago. I think we are up to about 10 cruises so far, and hope to do many more. We've done Hawaii, Alaska, the Panama Canal, Western Carib, Eastern Carib and Southern Carib. Now to do the transatlantic with the CMer's at the end of April. Sure would love to do Australia, NZ, maybe China as well as so many others. Just have to find the time.

We live in Florida in the winter and Wisconsin in the summer. Our 2 grown children live up in WI too. I am a retired pre-school teacher, and Jake is still working as a consultant. Hopefully he'll be able to retire in the not to distant future.

Phyll
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Marc and Arlene checking in from Tokyo, Japan. We first found CruiseMates in 2001 while planning our 10th anniversary cruise. Since then, we have become hooked with over a dozen cruises in the last six years.

We are probably leaving Japan this fall to return to the States. Given that we have no house, no cars, no kids, no pets; we are looking for a new place to call home...anyone have an empty basement?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Admiral

I'm Jennifer (Jen) and I live in northern Vermont - right on the Canadian Border. I'm in my mid-40's and have been married to Gary for 23.5 years. We have two children, Elizabeth 22 and Josiah will be 20 in a couple of weeks. They both attend a university in Tenn. We have a miniature black poodle, Jonah, who just celebrated his 5th birthday last Sunday.

I have been on two cruises and hope to take another as soon as possible, just not sure how soon that will be.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Beginner

My Joe and I are from the suburbs of PIttsburgh. We started cruising in 1995. We have our twelth cruise booked for this October. I have mostly been a lurker to this board the past couple years.

WE are both retired but decided to get part time jobs to keep us busy and of course the money comes in nice for cruises.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Hi to all. I'm Vicki and my cruising mate is Dave. We live in the Florida Panhandle. I have worked in a real estate office for almost 18 years and Dave is retired military. We've only cruised twice with one being booked for 2009. Once I can retire I hope to be able to cruise more. It is very addictive, as is this site. Hope to meet some of you one of these days. Happy cruising to all.

Need some cruise help?