Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Rita and Paul, I still disagree. First, it is perfectly fine to bring a glass of wine you purchased in a lounge into the dining room; that happens all the time whether on a ship or in a restaurant ashore.

However, bringing wine from room to a lounge is bad form. I have never sailed Carnival or HAL but I would not be surprised if the glasses provided in the cabins do not match the glassware provided in the lounges and restaurants. Therefore, everyone, not just the staff, know that you brought the wine from your room. I don't think I could sit in a lounge knowing that every bar waiter knows that I decided to stiff him out of his tip because I poured my own drink.

As for people scraping by to afford a cruise; I can understand. We had annual passes to Disney for a number of years. When eating one time at EPCOT, we saw a mother with four kids that had obviously paid a fortune for a trip to Disney. We heard the mother allow only one of the kids have a soda, the others had tap water. It looked like they alternated which kid got the soda each meal. I thought that this was a great way to save money around the edges. Similarly, if you want to enjoy the lounge pre-dinner, one of you could order a drink, glass of wine, or soda, and the other a free glass of water. You still get to enjoy the lounge but without violating basic decency.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It could be from my experience of "too many" years in the food and beverage business... but the theory that I've already paid enough so....... isn't a great arguement. It's just too easy that so many people accept it, and say, ya ME TOO!

It's like going to a restaurant for dinner and saying well I've paid enough for my salad and entree I'm bringing my own dessert... pass that fork.

Or going to a bar, buying drinks for the first two hours, and then pulling a bottle out of your jacket.

Both of which I've personally witnessed btw.

Knew I should have owned finer establishments
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Admiral

I am going to say my opinion, and say first I am not a drinker so alcohol really does not mean much to me. I personally would never carry a drink to a bar or lounge. I would sit in one,on a ship and do often, but I would NOT bring my own glass of wine to save money. I guess it is more important to me to be with loved ones and enjoy the atmosphere and the music and so I dont really care if I cannot or do not have a glass.

I would never and could never go in any place on land with my own wine and drink that to avoid the cost, I would just do without that thing that may hurt the budget to much. (unless it is a BYOW place). I am not going to go and eat and pull out my diet coke from my purse, if I really cannot afford that, then I just ask for water.

On the boat, I do bring and show openly the diet coke as it is caffeine free as I am not alloud much caffeine because of heart issues, but I drink that in my cabin, or on my own. I dont bring it in the dinning room with me.

If I go to places when kid was young, if the place alloud, I would bring some of my own box drinks and snacks to save money, not because I dont have money but because maybe my Dutch roots don't permit me to spend money always when I dont have to.

I know friends who came with us, that really scraped to come on the last cruise, in fact we had to loan them some money, which was pade back two weeks later and it was a joy to lend that and see them have such a great time. They didnt go on credit, they saved for five years to go and they are in their 50's. Good things are worth saving for and a cruise counts as a good thing. They were in the "basement", no frills inside cabin, and they could not have been happier, they both like wine......and you know what? They didnt have one glass of it on the ship, because they knew money was tight, and just being on the ship and in the lounge and all of us talking and laughing was fine. We joked and laughed so hard because certain beaches you could have one mighty good drink for just 3$.........and that was enough.

So long story short, I don't think it is OK to take wine you bring on board from home into a bar. To me it is the same as leaving home to cross the street and eat in a place and bring your own drink to avoid the cost.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Should the Captain weigh in on this subject?

Booze/smuggling/dining room fashions/tipping/chair hogs.... always make for interesting reading.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Should the Captain weigh in on this subject?
NO
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Not much of a drinker I never bring alcohol aboard with me. When I get a bottle of wine from the my TA I usually bring it to the dining room and share it with my tablemates. Anything else I might drink I purchase from the various venues aboard the ship.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Some interesting themes are emerging here.

Paul says that it's OK to take anything the cruise line lets you bring aboard down to the bars and lounges simply because there's no specific published rule that says you can't. But who cares about what rules are published? As Kuki says, the lines don't enforce most of them anyway. It's a given that you're not going to get "busted" for doing this, so the question is really only whether it's in good taste to do it. And, as I've maintained for years, good taste is less and less an issue aboard most cruise ships with every passing year.

Paul also makes the rather interesting "straw that breaks the camel's back" argument. He tells us that the glass of wine that is carried to the lounge could be the difference that allows someone of marginal means to take a cruise. Since Paul is the proprietor of a site whose advertisers are cruise lines and travel agents, his point of view quite naturally is that cruising is a birthright: that virtually everyone should be entitled to cruise. But Kuki's right that many people unwisely go deeply into hock for all manner of purchases, and cruising is certainly one of them. Fact is, we're only entitled to the pursuit of happiness; nobody ever said that we're always entitled to catch it. There are some things that I can't afford and some things that you can't. The affordability line is drawn at different places for different people. But people often rationalize these issues, sometimes to their detriment.

Rita, for her part, makes the "cover charge" argument, and says that her cruise ticket entitles her to use all facilities whenever she wants to. She contrasts this with walking into a bar off the street, where bringing your own stash would obviously not be allowed. But, of course, this is the wrong analogy. The right one, as Kuki points out, is a land-based hotel where, by the same logic, your room key would be your cover charge. Yet no hotel lounge that I know of would let you bring in your own booze, even if you were staying there. On the other hand, if you walked into a hotel lounge, showed your room key, and asked for a glass of water, almost all establishments would happily comply. That's what your "cover charge" should buy you.

Marc makes some good points about how to save on vacation, although his water-drinking family at Disney opens up another whole line of discussion. Part of that discussion, of course, is whether it makes more sense to scrimp to take your brood to the Mouse House in Orlando, or to do something more creative and less expensive elsewhere. And, the situation he observed could well admit to other conclusions, the most obvious of which is that the parents were limiting their childrens' soda intake for health reasons, yet realized the importance of keeping them hydrated while schlepping around an amusement park all day.

Marc and Kuki have this one right, I think.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I'm at that dull time of day, so I'll chime in too. :-)

I agree with Marc, Kuki and Ar as well as some of the rest of you.

Some of the arguments here seem to be just rationalizations in order to step outside of the lines. Does the end justify the means? I have a hard time with the argument about people on tight budgets. Does that really justify breaking rules or stretching them to the breaking point? If the ships say it's ok to bring your own wine or other beverage on board, then no problem. Just follow the guidelines that are set. If you choose not to follow the guidelines, then don't try to justify what you are doing. If it's wrong, it's wrong whether your rich, poor or any other scenario.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. Captn, I'd be interested in your point of view.

Phyll
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllbo
I'm at that dull time of day, so............Captn, I'd be interested in your point of view.......
Instigator!
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I must be tasteless, tacky and poor! I budget and save for my trips. I'm a single mom with one in college, And I brought my own Diet Dr PepperOnboard and I brought alcohol. I mixed two drinks in my cabin and had to bring.all of it home. Never again! Maybe I should marry for money next time! Rofl Melody
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
I must be tasteless, tacky and poor! I budget and save for my trips. I'm a single mom with one in college, And I brought my own Diet Dr PepperOnboard and I brought alcohol. I mixed two drinks in my cabin and had to bring.all of it home. Never again! Maybe I should marry for money next time! Rofl Melody
I thought I was hooking you up with my single brother , ya know Mel, the guy who lives in Germany!

Captain
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Captain...he hasn't called yet but naybe he should send his investment portfolio first And to think I only wanted him to be neat well dressed and good in bed . There sure are some stuck up people on this board! Let's just say I'm not on this earth for the money! I like what I do and that's good enough for me. We all put our pants on one leg at a time I have no time for snobby people. Melody
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Default LIVE AND LET LIVE

You gurls thank God the Almighty ya don't have to keep up with the crazy antics of yours truly on a daily basis, but wait, ya already do that!

Someone I know once asked me why I cannot for once have a straight face , I have also been told that I have a lousy poker face ! My response?
Who cares! Live and Let Live! That's how I have always lived my life and at 49 I think I am set in my ways and don't see me changing lifelong habits anytime soon!

Captain
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Hey Captain...I agree! And you don't sound like a Brit! You sound Southern....so your nickname is Bubba! Melody
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Bubba!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Me a Bubba? Now there's a first So whazzitgonnabe Captain Bubba?

Captain
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Yep! Cap'n Bubba! Melody
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
But, of course, this is the wrong analogy. The right one, as Kuki points out, is a land-based hotel where, by the same logic, your room key would be your cover charge. Yet no hotel lounge that I know of would let you bring in your own booze, even if you were staying there. On the other hand, if you walked into a hotel lounge, showed your room key, and asked for a glass of water, almost all establishments would happily comply. That's what your "cover charge" should buy you.
I respectfully disagree.

No, I don't believe my room key at a hotel represents my "cover charge" at the bar or lounge. It's entirely different onboard a ship. My "key" on the ship buys me access to the whole ship. No one who does not pay that cover charge could be onboard, only those who have paid it can access those public facilities such as the bars and lounges. At a hotel, it's different. Yes, I have access to the bars and lounges in the hotel, but so do many other people ... folks that do not hold room keys. Those bars and lounges may be affiliated with the hotel, but pretty much anyone can use them. My room key does not grant me any special access privileges. Therefore, should I choose to go down to the lounge and perhaps listen to the band that may be playing, or watch the game on their mega-sized tv's, I certainly would not feel comfortable walking in with a drink in hand that I mixed in my room. If I want to use those facilities, then custom dictates I order at least something ... a snack, a Coke or a drink ... even though I may be a guest in the hotel.

So, in my opinion, there is a very big difference here. The ship already got my money when I paid my fare. The lounge at the hotel only gets it when I walk in to avail myself of their facilities. The fact that I paid for a room there is notwithstanding. My money paid for my hotel room and that's it. So, I am certainly free to consume my own beverages in the privacy of that room, because I paid for it. I am not free to consume my own private stash in their lounges or bars, because for that I didn't pay.

Blue skies ...

--rita