Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Eliminate dining rooms

Hi guys,
Just wondering if the new cruise ships that are coming out, they should eliminate the dining rooms and install cabins, that way nobody has to rush back from shore excursions, get showered, changed to rush to dinner in the dining room, just have the buffet open, so one can run in and eat and get on with their life, no need for maitre'd or the waiters either, as they are a waste of time. What are your thoughts of this subject?

gottacruz
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Admiral

I think that this is absolutely the worst idea that I have ever heard!!!!

Now that I have done my Simon Cowell impression, let me provide the specifics.

We find fine dining with great friends one of the highlights of cruising. The ambiance, the quality of the food, the wonderful wines, and the great service all add to a wonderful experience. We have been known to sit and talk over dinner for three hours or more. In fact, we have found that leisurely lunches can also last a couple of hours when combined with great friends.

Although cruising is a wonderful way to see the world, it shouldn't necessarily involve non-stop activity. Of course, "different strokes for different folks." There are cruise lines (e.g. Easy Cruise IIRC) where dining is as you described. However, for me, your idea is the worst that I have ever heard.

Moderators: I have said nothing negative regarding the poster; just the idea. Please do not edit.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

gottacruz,

I do not think your idea is gonna find favor with 99.9999999999999999% of cruisers.

Captain
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Well.. just imagine the lines at the buffet..... more people on the ships and one buffet are to go to.

Guess you've never been in line for lunch at a buffet on a ship

Those who want to simply go to the buffet, without ever visiting the dining room can do so now on the majority of the ships. The dining rooms are really optional

So there's really nothing to change to do what you want to do.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Since we only go freestle type cruising now, no need to rush back to get to dinning room on time.........and dinners have been one of the highlight of the cruise. Not because of the food either, but because we are all together! ( loved ones that is ) No for us, we like the dinning room, and we never eat buffet for dinner.
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dressing up and dinner is one of our highlights too.
I would never spend one dining night out of my cruise in the self service buffet - unless i was on a world cruise!!! - WELL, 92x 5 course meals in a row would probably be tooooooooooo much....

Sue
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Why do that? Most of us enjoy the dining room and the chance to make new friends. For me it is a wonderful part of the whole cruise experience. I do the buffets most lunch and breakfasts. I look forward to the chance to enjoy the dining room in the evening.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Admiral

NEVER NEVER NEVER! I agree 100% with Marc,,,the dining experience with great new friends, or excellent old ones, is one of the MAJOR highlights of the cruise. We almost never leave the ship anymore anyway,,,and when we do we absolutely don't rush back to the ship for a meal,,,,we plan ahead.

Ken
"Sky"
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Admiral

I am trying to be polite here . Lets just say this suggestion has the least amount of merit of any I have seen on this board.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Admiral

That would make me stop cruising and pick other vacation spots!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottacruz
Just wondering if the new cruise ships that are coming out, they should eliminate the dining rooms and install cabins, that way nobody has to rush back from shore excursions, get showered, changed to rush to dinner in the dining room, just have the buffet open, so one can run in and eat and get on with their life, no need for maitre'd or the waiters either, as they are a waste of time. What are your thoughts of this subject?
I don't know if you intended this post to be tongue in cheek or not, but interestingly, I see just this sort of thing coming in the future. I'd be willing to bet that with all the cost-cutting taking place with the cruise lines today, and the need to generate more revenue, that maybe five years from now you will have to PAY for a seat in the formal dining room. Yes, your base cruise fare will still entitle you to all the food you can eat onboard, but that food will only consist of the offerings at the buffet. There will be a premium to dine elsewhere, including both the specialty restaurants and the regular dining room.

That's my prediction anyway.

And, do I like it? No.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Kryos,
You may be on to something there but please, DO NOT give the cruiselines any more indeas.

Captain
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
I don't know if you intended this post to be tongue in cheek or not, but interestingly, I see just this sort of thing coming in the future. I'd be willing to bet that with all the cost-cutting taking place with the cruise lines today, and the need to generate more revenue, that maybe five years from now you will have to PAY for a seat in the formal dining room. Yes, your base cruise fare will still entitle you to all the food you can eat onboard, but that food will only consist of the offerings at the buffet. There will be a premium to dine elsewhere, including both the specialty restaurants and the regular dining room.

That's my prediction anyway.

And, do I like it? No.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Isn't that already happening with the pay to get in Supper clubs?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Hi guys,..........way nobody has to rush back from shore excursions ............ rush to dinner in the dining room, just have the buffet open, ....................... What are your thoughts of this subject?

gottacruz
Seems to me that is an option now. Just eat at the buffet and skip the dining room altogether. Why deny the folks who like to eat sitting down the chance to do so?

Better yet, why not skip the dining room and buffet completely and just eat on land? To me, eating locally, and I don't mean at the local TGIFriday's or Carlo's & Charlie's franchise is one of the great treats of going into port.

Give your taste buds a chance to taste some local cuisine. Even upscale restaurants in port can often be had a small price.

While I resist the urge to eat from street vendors, picking up some local fruit (that I can wash and peel myself) can be a treat.

Maybe I'm just getting picky here, but I try to resist the urge to do everything the ship offers- and that includes ensuring I make every meal, every buffet, every show, etc.
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Having a meal served to me in the dining room is one of the highlights of cruising for me. I would also not wish that to happen, have many great memories of tablemates/food, etc...I just don't see that happening. Its still your choice to have meals in the buffet if you wish, another great feature of cruising, you can do what you want, when you want.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with others that the dinning room is part of the cruise experience. I can't picture a day where it wasn't available.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

So many of us now, eat on the run, don't sit down with the family, to eat as a family,or pick up fast food, on the way home to work some more, as we eat:(

The value of the sit down meal, in a beautifully appointed dining room, on a wonderful ship, is worth it to many of us. Taking time, to luxuriate, in just taking time. Conversations with old friends, learning about new friends, it would be sad to have that rug pulled out from underneath us:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Eliminate Dining Rooms

What with the formal dining room; the buffet; alternative restaurants; in-cabin service; assigned seating; or eat when you want; dress up and dress down; sit with two people; or sit with eight on ships these days, it seems to me that the cruise lines are giving us every kind of option they can think of, rather than eliminating them.

Judy
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Admiral

I have to say I agree with everyone I like the dining rooms. That is a great thing about cruising, you feel like you are going out to dinner everyday of the cruise. I don't know about everyone else but I can't afford to eat out everyday so this is special to me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
First Mate

I HATE buffets and never go to one voluntarily! My #1 pleasure on a cruise is eating in the dining room 3xaday. The only exception is the occasional room-service breakfast. Any attempt to do away with the dining room or make it pay only will insure that I never cruise again.
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I don't know about everyone else but I can't afford to eat out everyday so this is special to me.
Yup!! I think the better question might be... Do you appreciate how lucky you are to be able to take a cruise vacation, and everything that goes along with that?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Admiral

original post may not be far off...benchmark this thread and let's revisit it 3-5 years from now as the next generation of 5,000 + passenger ships are starting to roll online..the groundwork is being laid out now..NCL has freestyle dining with a variety of places to eat on it's newest ships that are outside the main dining rooms, some charge, some still are free..Royal Caribbean has Johnny Rockets...virtually every mass cruise lines has super clubs for a premium charge

most posters who have responded to this think in the present tense..Cruiselines are thinking 5-10 years down the road and how to maximize revenue within a limited space and by cost center and keep the "base fare" low and keep crew ratios as a % of revenue generated favorable ..you don't change patterns over night, you slowly change passenger's habits in little doses, which IMHO they are doing

With these mega liners on the drawing boards...can you franchise out to chains (Apple Bees, McDonalds etc) and perhaps create a "food court" deck...will there be more overnight in port calls (like when cruise ships call on Bermuda) where you can sell vouchers for island dining places for lunch and dinner

you keep the traditional dining room experiences but downsize them so folks have an option...there is a parallel experience in the airline business..when the airlines decided to transistion from paper tickets to e-tickets there was an uproar..now the majority are e-tickets..they have food onboard for sale..passengers balked at that because they felt it was in the price of the ticket..now they like it..they are starting to charge for the 2nd extra bag..they have kioshes(sp) to cut down on staffing..in other words the flying experience has changed from 10 years ago..the cruising experience will change and food (a cost center) and space have to be looked at..they think how many more high end revenue cabins can I build in place of the traditional large dining venues..can I franchise out my dining experience for a profit..what will my labor cost be 10 years from now and how can I reduce headcount without causing perceived dis service to my customer ?I bet they are doing intense focus cost studies right now as we speak

I love the formal dining experience, it is one of the highlites of my cruising experience..however younger folks value different experiences..most of us over 30, grew up with the traditional family dining experience..most under 30 think the only time families eat together is on holidays..cruise lines know that and are planning for it in the future..just my 2 cents
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!! Please say it isn't so. I hope the person who started this is just pulling our chain. I'm glad there is the choice for those that want it to have this style of cruising, but it sure isn't for me or for many of you. Let's hope the mob prevails.

Phyll
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sorry guys

Hi guys,
Sorry didnt need to make anyone mad, it was just a thought, it wont happen again.

Gottacruz
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I cannot imagine going on a vacation to eat the inedible stuff that places like McDonalds serves. Give me traditional dining please!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 24th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

gottacruz,
I don't think one poster was upset..Your question was a good one, as you can see by the responses, it was spirited...That's the point here, to get conversation going..no one will always agree with everyone, but that adds to the interest of the thread..It also gives us another way to look at things we sometimes, just do by habit...No right or wrong answer here:):)

I would hate to think you would not post again, because of this...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Virginia, don't worry about sharing an idea around here even if it wasn't met with a lot of positive affirmations. One of the best things about cruising is that there is so much variety. You can pretty much select a cruise that gives you what you are looking for.

Hope you continue to post. I think you just touched on a subject that is near and dear to many of us cruisers.

Phyll
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to LGriggs548

I agree with the majority. I prefer going to the dining room for the lovely sit down meal and the companionship of the table mates. I frequently will go to the dining room by myself for breakfast as my DH likes to go on Lido to have his breakfast. A few years back I said I wouldn't partake of the supper clubs because I felt if they caught on, the dining room service may well be in jeopardy. Well, I still think (but not hope) that may happen somewhere down the road but I did have to eat a little crow as I will now go to the supper club whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Linda
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yeoman

I am FAR from being a frequent cruizer but my thoughts are, if the cruise lines decide to keep down-sizing here and down-sizing there, eliminating this, eliminating that, eventually the thrill of cruising will be gone for me. I'll no longer think that taking a cruise is such an afforable bargain and will be happy just staying at home and watching Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel.

Keep posting gottacruz...you'll miss us too much!
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
I am FAR from being a frequent cruizer but my thoughts are, if the cruise lines decide to keep down-sizing here and down-sizing there, eliminating this, eliminating that, eventually the thrill of cruising will be gone for me. I'll no longer think that taking a cruise is such an afforable bargain and will be happy just staying at home and watching Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel.

Keep posting gottacruz...you'll miss us too much!
Yeah, don't leave OP, I'd hate for you to lose on some posters' "bright ideas " or some great "intuition " post. Those are the real
hilarious stuff ya wanna hang around for and just forget cruising topics.

Captain