Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Default CPAP machines and special adapter?

Hello:
I have two friends who are going on this cruise with me..they both have defibrillator implants. This is her question. I hope someone can answer this?
Her question:

What about wiring I use a CPAP machine do I need any speical adapter plug? I know we can't transmit our ICD from the ship if we have any problem that is by phone line we would have to go to a Hopsital on an Island if our defibrillator goes off hopefully they won't.

Thank you
Darlene(Red)
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Darlene, I can help with part of your question. My DH uses a C-PAP for sleep -- and won't leave home without it! We take a multi-plug power strip, as well as a couple of extensions cords. No problems. You would borrow extension cords from the ship, but my DH doesn't want to have to depend on that. You don't need very heavy extension cords for the C-PAP because it draws such low current. Sorry I can't help with the info about the ICD.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

If you are asking about the power adaptor/supply/plug for the machine, no need to worry about it Darlene. You'll have a regular USA outlet as well as a European outlet in your cabin. They might need an extension cord though.
If they also use a humidifier with their CPAP machine, a lot of people feel comfortable using water from the ship, it is water that has gone thru a reverse osmosis system but NOT distilled so I think they should be fine with that too.

Captain

Ah, what a 3-some! the Captain and the 2 Dars!
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
If you are asking about the power adaptor/supply/plug for the machine, no need to worry about it Darlene. You'll have a regular USA outlet as well as a European outlet in your cabin. They might need an extension cord though.
If they also use a humidifier with their CPAP machine, a lot of people feel comfortable using water from the ship, it is water that has gone thru a reverse osmosis system but NOT distilled so I think they should be fine with that too.

Captain

Capt, you're funny! But alas, not the first! My DH was married to 'another' Darlene, before he married me! He didn't have to change any tattoos and no mistakes in the heat of passion!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Captain

Capt, you're funny! But alas, not the first! My DH was married to 'another' Darlene, before he married me! He didn't have to change any tattoos and no mistakes in the heat of passion!
................. I never thought of it that way!
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: CPAP machines and special adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWITCH 13
Hello:
I have two friends who are going on this cruise with me..they both have defibrillator implants. This is her question. I hope someone can answer this?
Her question:

What about wiring I use a CPAP machine do I need any special adapter plug? I know we can't transmit our ICD from the ship if we have any problem that is by phone line we would have to go to a Hospital on an Island if our defibrillator goes off hopefully they won't.

Thank you
Darlene(Red)
Redwitch:

You actually can transmit information from the ICD to a hospital or physicians office from almost all ship's medical facilities. While the ship's infirmaries aren't the most state of the art, the satellite phone system will work fine for this purpose.

In regard to CPAP machines: The plug will be a standard three prong 110 volt. I STRONGLY suggest you bring an extension cord because the outlet will probably be nowhere near the bedside table. (never put a CPAP on the floor) I always carried an extension cord in my CPAP bag. I also suggest bringing a weeks worth of distilled water. While the ship's water is VERY clean it will still pick up particulate in the plumbing systems and I doubt, that while on a cruise, people will be cleaning their machines on a daily basis.

Take care and don't worry.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Thank you so much everyone...

All of her questions were answered....
This new health scare is new to them. The had to cancel one cruise because their defibulatiors were so new. This will put them at ease.

I told her I would find out everything she needed to know and I was right.

Darlene(Red)
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Just take a 3-prong adaptor and an extension cord. We have done
three cruises with my husband's sleep machine with no problems (except when going through security as he carries it in a little black bag and the
security people weren't familiar with it - thought we had a "bomb" with us)
Anyway, makes for interesting conversation. He has put the unit on the
floor with no problems and is an early riser - so everything is put away
before our cabin is made up. Please DO NOT check this in your luggage.
Much safer to carry yourself.