Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Edible Time Machine;):)

I was just reading the front page of AOL, and came across an article about how food can trigger memories..here in part, it says:

Food is uniquely powerful in that besides our multi-sensory involvement with it, it also becomes part of us. While other aesthetic details -- songs, smells, etc., may imprint themselves on our memories of situations both joyful and otherwise.

When I read it, the memory of bologne on white bread, with mustard and a cup of tea, immediately burst forth from my childhood. Sometimes my Mother would make this for her lunch.

Usually, I had already eaten. If my Mother had to get up to, answer the phone, doorbell or whatever, when she came back, there were bites missing from her sandwich, and, several swallows of her tea gone:) She aways smiled and shared some more:) My love of tea was born then:)

Do you have a food memory that hurtles you back in time?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Oh!! Oh!! Oh!! Do I ever!! The smell of beans baking in the oven makes me think of my childhood. Every Saturday winter or summer my Mother put beans in the oven to bake. My Mother was from Maine and New England tradition was to have baked beans on Saturday night. I can still smell them and the homemade brown bread steaming on the stove.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Default Edible Time Machine . . .

I've never experienced memories brought about by scents or food, but it's surely interesting. Maybe in the future, memories associated with food can be used by the medical community as a help for people needing to lose weight.

Judy
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Admiral

When I was about 11 I landed my first job working at a root beer stand a short distance from our home. The place has been gone now for about 30 years. I still recall the smell and it makes my mouth water to this day. There were large troughs filled with ice water where we chilled the mugs for the rootbeer and the sink full of bleach water we used to sanitize them. Back in a walk in cooler there was a large barrel where the home made Root Beer syrup was and it fed out to a Tap in the front of the shop. This man's wife made the best coney sauce I ever tasted to this day. I can still remember the tastes combined with the smell of real root beer, coney sauce, hot dogs and bleach. It reminds me of summer.

Going to Grandma's her house always smelled like a faint whiff of Noxema, and she always had something good for us to eat. I knew every morning I'd wake up to a warm bowl of cream of wheat.
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know just what you mean, also works when you hear a certain song from way back when.....Strange how that all works, huh?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
First Mate

I so vividly remember my grandmother making us a breakfast of fried eggs, fried sausage and fried potatoes.....wonder if the "fried" was a generational thing????
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Oh yeah, many food and smell memories here!
Still a comfort food until this day: grilled cheese and a steaming bowl of tomato soup. Brings me right back to my mother's kitchen!

donna
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Coffee perking,bacon frying! Most of all I remember Momma!!!
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Admiral

The smell of CORN tortillas make me think of Dad.

He could make some mean corn enchilitas.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sweet James.. I Remember Mama, Friday nights at 7pm......Lars, who was later the Dad in Eight is Enough said those very words:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Trip, You took the words right out of my mouth!
Donna, Grilled cheese and tomato soup is soooooooo good. when I was cooking at the school in NH the kids wantd that every saturday for their lunch.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Sweet James.. I Remember Mama, Friday nights at 7pm......Lars, who was later the Dad in Eight is Enough said those very words
Mam,
In our area if my memory is correct,it was sponsered by Maxwell House Coffee.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Grilled cheese and tomato soup yummmmmmmmmmmm... That is comfort food, and nothing goes down better when I am sick.

That guy was Dick Van Patten I think.
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Admiral

Another for me... when I smell a pan fried breaded steak cooking, I am reminded of my Mother. It is amazing, we all ate fried food all the time. It got Dad, Mom and a younger brother and almost got my baby brother. My sister and I are fighting it hard.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Admiral

Another for me... when I smell a pan fried breaded steak cooking, I am reminded of my Mother. It is amazing, we all ate fried food all the time. It got Dad, Mom and a youngerbrother and almost got my baby brother. My sister and I are fighting it hard.