Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Default Snow in Galveston

The Houston Chronicle is reporting that police officers in Galveston reported snow flurries overnight (3/6/08) and for that to happen this late in the winter season is unheard of in these parts. I know the carnival Ecstasy sets sail on some Thursdays but I don't think she would have been in the snow last night.

March 7, 2008, 7:25AM
Winter blows into Houston as snow falls in N. Texas

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get the latest information at the Chronicle's Hurricane Central Winds will be whipping across Houston today at speeds up to 30 mph, with occasional gusts even higher, forecasters said.

Light snow fell across parts of north Texas early today and light snow was falling in College Station this morning.

Forecasters said a winter weather advisory is in effect for areas near Harris County, north of a line from Sealy to Coldspring. The Galveston Police Department reported a few snow flurries on Galveston Island.

A cold front that swept into Harris County Thursday pushed thunderstorms that dropped up to an inch of rain across southeast Texas but skies here are expected to clear around noon today, National Weather Service meteorologist Wendy Wong said.

"The wind should die off right around sunset," Wong said.

But people in Conroe and areas north may see freezing temperatures overnight tonight and Houstonians likely will see thermometers drop into the mid- to upper 30s tonight, Wong said.

Skies should be sunny and the high temperature in Houston should be in the lower 60s, she said.

While there was one report by a Galveston police officer of a snow flurry on the island overnight, Wong said the weather service has recorded no significant snow or sleet in the Houston area.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

That is real odd, Mike! I guess wicked weather ain't just enough, it's now weird weather too! Y athink global warming has anything to do with this?

Captain
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

See what happens when I leave the state in search of snow?

It snowed for us in Dec. of 05 when we left on the Elation.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nice. Right now, I can walk out my living room window (7 feet above the ground) and step onto the snow, which is level with the bottom of the casement. Then I can start climbing up the snowbank another 3 feet in altitude.
Another 12" is forecast for later today.
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Hi Mr Michael!

You should see the snow up here.We had for now 418 cm and the record since 1965 is 458cm.With a snow storm coming this weekend may be will reach that point. Have a nice evening. MTL
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL
Hi Mr Michael!

You should see the snow up here.We had for now 418 cm and the record since 1965 is 458cm.With a snow storm coming this weekend may be will reach that point. Have a nice evening. MTL
Since I am a native Texan, I can't say it doesn't snow because it does snow regularly in north Texas. But I digress, I am from the San Antonio area and Dad moved us to Houston when I was 4years old (1958). Growing up in Houston, I have seen heavy (2" or 5.08cm or more) in 1960, 1973, 1976, 1981, 1992, 2004. I have been in Colorado in December and January a few times and got tired of the snow then.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

It's snowing in Galveston because we have too much already in Montreal, we can't handle any more, so we're sending it down to Texas!

donna
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Michael,

Did you have a snowball fight?!

Dean
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

RD, just don't send it to Florida!! I moved to get away from the snow. I am really enjoying the warm weather here.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 10th, 2008, 04:33 AM
First Mate

Hey Michael,

I just saw your post about the snow in Galveston. That is too funny! No wonder I've been so cold, I just didn't realize we were expecting snow. My brother sent me pics of his home near Dallas this past weekend. They also got a bunch of that white stuff! They get some occasionally, but in March it seems weird. It doesn't happen too often in Galveston. I remember sailing back into Galveston on the Elation a few years ago, and the buzz on the ship was it had snowed in Galveston. I was telling everyone, no way...not in Galveston. We were shocked to see white stuff on the buildings around the port and around the palm trees when we docked. As the people began to get their cars from the surrounding lots, it was fun getting to make snowballs with the snow that was still on the cars!

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Admiral

Hey Sherrie, good to hear from you. Is brother Pat ok? And how are you two doing?

Old March 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
First Mate

Hey Michael,

Thanks for asking... we are all doing fine. I think Pat may be in Houston this week. Probably trying to get away from all that snow in Dallas!

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward