Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Default Cherry Blossom Forecast for Luanne

Luanne--

If you're still wondering about peak cherry blossoms, here's the latest skinny from the Park Service. As I suspected, they're predicting an early bloom this year. Note that they predict the blooming will be pretty well finished when the date for the parade rolls around.

2008 Peak Bloom Forecast: March 27-April 3

The 2008 National Cherry Blossom Festival is scheduled for March 29-April 13. The festival's National Cherry Blossom Parade will begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 12, on Constitution Avenue between 7th and 17th Streets NW.

The famous trees, a gift from Japan in 1912, signal the coming of Spring with an explosion of life and color surrounding the Jefferson Memorial on the Tidal Basin in a sea of pale pink and white. Exactly when the buds will open is not an easy question to answer, but the National Park Service Regional Horticulturalist Robert DeFeo has been fairly accurate in his forecasts over the past several years.

These peak bloom dates are liable to be tweaked over the next couple weeks or so. If you want to do it, I recommend it. Beats Indiantown Gap. Give me a yell if you come to town.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Thank you AR. We will be there sometime around the 21, 22 of March.

I have points and can use them at the Willard. Wanted to know what you thought of it, and the location.

I want to re-create the movie scene from "In The Line Of Fire" where the sit in front of the stature of Lincoln, and over look the Washington Monument. Would love for you to be there too, if you are available.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Admiral

The Willard is one of the lovliest, most historic and best located hotels in Washington. Part of its history involves a notorious Washington word.
Because so many important people hung out there in the good old days, those with "special interests" to promote would wait around the lobby in hopes of buttonholing lawmakers and others who could help their causes. Hence, "lobbyist."

It's about two blocks from the White House, one from the Treasury Department. It's a five minute walk to Metro, and a ten minute walk the other way to the Mall, from which you can attack all the monuments and the Smithsonian museums.

It's one of my favorite hotels anywhere. I've been to many functions there, and even stayed there for a couple nights when I was producing an event there and working late. You can't go wrong.

Besides, it's across the street from the bar where I picked up Terry 40 years ago. Of course the bar has since been bulldozed and the location is now part of the JW Marriott Hotel. We occasionally stop there for a drink after the theater and laugh a lot.
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Thank you AR. It sounds wonderful. My problem now is planning what to do and when. There is so much I would like to see in this part of the country, and have so little time.

I know it is said that there is always another time, but who knows if that time will come.

This is my partial list of places to see:

Washington
Atlantic City
Gettysburg
New York City
Philly
Baltimore

and..... I just found out that Three Mile Island is not far from here. Why did I remember it being in New York?

You guys in this area are so lucky. I can drive to New York City from here, quicker than I can drive from our house to Galveston.

All of you are so close to so many great places to visit. I sure hope all of you are taking advantage of all of these opportunities.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 10th, 2008, 03:02 AM
First Mate

Hey Luannne,

I hope you do get to be in Washington, D.C. during the Cherry Blossom Festival. It is so beautiful during that time of year. My absolute favorite hotel in Washington. D.C. is the Willard. The hotel history is so interesting. You will love staying there. The metro stop is very close to the Willard. Lucky you, I hope you have a wonderful trip. We will be back in D.C. in June.
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Does anyone have an update? Have they started to bloom yet?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Admiral

No, there's no sign of them yet, probably won't be anything for another week or so at least. Ranger DeFeo is sticking to his guns re the peak bloom starting on the 27th. Here's the place to look for Park Service updates. . .

http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisi...ossom-page.htm
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Admiral

I have just made up our mind. We are coming to Washington. Because we have so little time, I am booking us on a tour. I am looking into one now, that will stop at about 10 places, and tour about 20 more. It looks good for us, and because we would only have to drive to their parking lot, we won't have to deal with transportation.

Hopefully by the end of the day, the plans will be all made, with no road blocks. Wish me luck.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008