Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default There Are More Planes In The Sea Than Ships In The Sky - Pic

This is dedicated to my friend Mehawk who, after me being a member here for nearly a year, today he noticed my signature for the first time .

And as usual, the Captain NEVER lies and has a pic to prove his case, I gues you all know by now that I have a pic of everything.

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:36 PM
First Mate

Is that what you get when you use the flight and cruise combo from Carnival?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Capt. you are CRAZY!!!!!!!!

Papa, that was a funny response. Thanks for the laugh.

Phyll
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Admiral

I was actually thinking of all the warplanes lost during the World Wars during the battles at sea but this is a good one also.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Admiral

kinda gives new meaning to the word "seaplane"

Captain
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Captain

You know what the pilot will say!

I missed the runway, by just this much!!!!!!

Irish 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Admiral

That was cute..........NOT! I am going on a plane.....................with a Captain who hopefully doesnt miss it by an inch!
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

You all know the saying..."Give an inch, take a mile."

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
That was cute..........NOT! I am going on a plane.....................with a Captain who hopefully doesnt miss it by an inch!

oh, I wouldn't worry about that Delfthuis, those type of incidents only happen once every 200,000 flights and yours is flight 199,999, so you'll be just fine!

But seriously, relax, dear and have a great flight!

Captain
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

I can't see the pic.......

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

This one almost made it into the sea on our little island off the beac here.

SHELL KEY -- The FAA is investigating the emergency landing of a small plane on west side of Shell Key Island Sunday afternoon. The pilot, 36-year-old Gregory Hedge of St. Petersburg told deputies after he took off from Albert Whitted Airport, there were problems with the fuel gauge when his engine began to sputter and then failed.

Hedge and his passenger Beck Saunders then headed towards Shell Key, where he was able to make a emergency landing on the west side of the beach at 4:30pm. The single engine plane hit the beach nose fire before coming to a stop, officials reported.

The small plane only had minor damage and neither man was hurt.

The FAA continues to investigate.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...af9e21&rss=794

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

While we are at it, this little pirate ship attempted to cruise from ST Pete to the Virgin Isalnds and now lies in 7,000 feet of water. This mock ship day cruiser not really meant for the high seas.

ST. PETERSBURG - For almost two years, the mock pirate ship for tourists, with its dangling skeletons and decorative sails, was tied up snug and secure at St. Petersburg's Pier.

Last month, the Treasure Seeker finally got its chance to ply the high seas. Ray Hixon, and his son, Tripp, voyaged south to the Virgin Islands where they hoped to continue their pirate adventures with tourists from the visiting cruise ships.

But just south of the Turks and Caicos Islands, it became clear there would be no more "Yo ho ho" aboard the Treasure Seeker.

The 55-year-old ship sank in 7,000 feet of water.

It was dark on the Caribbean the night of Feb. 26, so dark that Capt. Tripp Hixon could barely make out his hand in front of his face on the deck of the Treasure Seeker. But he could feel the waves building rapidly as a fierce wind seemed to come out of nowhere.

Before long, the 65-foot Treasure Seeker was struggling against 22-foot waves, rolling port to starboard at 70-degree angles, wave after wave.

So violent was the movement, Hixon said, the rudder poked out of the water and he could hear the air being sucked beneath the boat.

"They were big, slow rolling monsters, not that fast, but consistent."

Five people were on board the 65-foot diesel-powered vessel, including Tripp Hixon, his 60-year-old father and owner of the boat, Ray Hixon, Tripp's grandfather, 80-year-old Webster Knight, and two other men.

They were headed to the Virgin Islands for a fresh start. Ray Hixon spent 30 years as a traveling furniture salesman before he retired and bought the pirate replica in South Carolina several years ago.

Tripp Hixon, who had just graduated from the University of North Florida, joined his dad in the business.

"All of my friends at the fraternity said, 'Oh, we're going to be doctors and lawyers,' and I was like, oh, I'm going to be a pirate," said Tripp Hixon, now 26.

They leased dock space from the city at the Pier for $900 a month, and began offering 90-minute cruises around Tampa Bay, hoping to fill up the ship for weddings, birthdays, family reunions and the like.

In February, they gave the Pier notice that they would be leaving, repainted the boat so that it was red and black instead of red and canary yellow, and set sail for the Virgin Islands and its bounty of tourists. Ray Hixon left behind some financial difficulties, including a mortgage foreclosure. His wife, Betsy, a schoolteacher, was planning to follow soon.

They were about a day and a half from St. Thomas, their destination, when they were pounded by rough seas.

The next morning the sun rose about 6 a.m., and Tripp Hixon began to relax a little. He could see the seas calming down.

Suddenly there was another problem. The engine room filled with thick smoke. Water was coming in through the exhaust and flooding the engine room.

The boat has a bilge pump, but it wasn't keeping up with the incoming water. Tripp and his dad got two additional pumps running, each capable of moving 2,200 gallons an hour. The water kept rising. Tripp Hixon ran up to the cabin and woke everyone up, then back below again. The water was 4 feet deep.

"We were like, let's get out of here, let's go," Tripp recalled.

He got on the radio and called mayday. He also activated his Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon EPIRB, a device that emits a distress signal and a GPS location. By this time, the boat was just south of the Turks and Caicos Islands and east of Great Inagua, Bahamas.

A sailing vessel from the Turks and Caicos, the 104-foot schooner Juliet, heard the mayday. The Juliet was about 13 miles away and crammed with tourists headed out on a dive trip, but they began a 31/2-hourjourney to reach the Treasure Seeker, according to the Juliet's owner, John Beltramo, 39.

All five people on board the pirate ship got into a dinghy they tied up to the pirate boat and waited in their life jackets."That's the biggest mistake people make," Tripp Hixon said. "You can't leave the boat or no one will find you."

As they sat in the dinghy, there wasn't much talk. They watched their dreams sink slowly into the waves.

"We watched that boat go down, foot by foot," Tripp Hixon said.

When the Juliet arrived, the tourists who were diverted from their dive trip began snapping photos of the sinking pirate ship and the five men, four of them over 60, grimy, salty and stunned.

A Coast Guard helicopter arrived and asked the Hixons if they wanted to try to save the boat. But there was no hope for the Treasure Seeker.

"It went down, bow first, swoosh," Tripp Hixon recalled.

The five shipwrecked men were dropped off in the Turks and Caicos Islands, where they boarded a plane, still in their life jackets, and returned to Miami.

"It was a family decision to go and live in paradise," Tripp Hixon said. "We decided to go and this is what happened."

The Hixons wouldn't say how much they lost at the bottom of the sea.

Despite financial difficulties in the court record, including the mortgage foreclosure on a waterfront house they paid $812,000 for in 2006, the Hixons have a line on another pirate ship.

"It's a piratey-looking boat," Tripp Hixon said. "We're trying to buy it and start from ground zero."

They hope to fix it up and head to the Virgin Islands again.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/09/Ne...hip_sink.shtml

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Years ago St. Bart's was a port on the old sailing ship Polynesia. I spent about an hour watching light planes land on the airstrip there. First they had to crest a hill 150 ft. or so in height then drop immediately onto a runway that couldn't have been more than 900 ft in length. Without a doubt one of the hairiest spots to land a light plane around. Not for the feint of heart!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Admiral

I hope they had insurance.

Old March 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The Polynesia - Windjammer.

Now more appropriately referred to as the AMnesia. Boy, did that company ever turn out to be a mess.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

By the way, Michael (Mehawk)...

You wrote a note pointing out that Canadians and Mexicans are also technically "Americans"

As I so often have to write the phrase, I started think about the derivation of the term "American" as that is what we are known as all over the world.

I realized that if you consider a short name for a citizen of the "United States of America" then it makes perfect sense. It makes even more sense than writing out the longer U.S. Citizens as I used to do. Because on it's own, to say "a citizen of the United States" is less descriptive because many nations are comprised of united states, including the Germany, Benelux, Spain, Yugoslavia . . .

The queston is "United States of what?" In our case, it is America, so just saying we are "Americans" to shorten the phrase "citizen of the United States of America" makes plenty of sense.

Everyone knows what you mean anyway, especially foreigners. No one ever said "Hey, you can't refer to Gorbachev as a Russian, he is Ukrainian" he was technically a Soviet citizen, (USSR) not a Russian, but we all knew what it meant, even though it makes even less sense than referring to ourselves as Americans.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Admiral

No Paul, technically Mexicans and Canadians -- are Mexicans and Canadians, technically ONLY citizens of the United States of America are Americans. Only the terminally politically correct could possibly think otherwise. I don't think there is really any confusion about it at all. Nor has there ever been. Why would you even bring it up?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Admiral

I Am CANADIAN! (or so the Molson beer ads want me to believe!)

donna
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
No Paul, technically Mexicans and Canadians -- are Mexicans and Canadians, technically ONLY citizens of the United States of America are Americans. Only the terminally politically correct could possibly think otherwise. I don't think there is really any confusion about it at all. Nor has there ever been. Why would you even bring it up?
One of our encounters with a customs agent may have taken exception to this. While holding my DH's birth certificate and driver's license, he asked him where he was from. My husband replied "America." He told him, very rudely, that there was not such country as America! I have never encountered any other agents who were so rude! As angry as it made my husband, and he is now careful to reply "U.S.A."
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Paul, I still like your arguement of the term. I also pointed out that there are South Americans and Central Americans. So many different types

Old March 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Cap'n Bubba....can't see the pic!!!!!

Melody
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
Cap'n Bubba....can't see the pic!!!!!

Melody
You can't see it because the gallery that contained the image no longer exsist's.
It looks like it has been deleted.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

I heard it was Oceanic 815

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Brewed by Molson - Coors which now owns the world's largest berewery here in Golden Colorado Calgary oil tycoons already own most of downtown Denver. I'm thinking about applying for Canadian citizenship

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T C
I heard it was Oceanic 815
Yes !! A Lost fan knows this !!

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Oh yeah, Oceanic 815!! Can't wait for Thursday!

donna
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Captain

"Remember, there are mores planes in the sea than ships in the sky."

I guess that would depend on how much libations you have had?

Irish 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012