Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Is the economy affecting your cruise plans?
No, the economy has not changed my plans 35 32.11%
Yes - I am scaling back with fewer cruises planned 25 22.94%
I am concerned but have not changed any cruise plans 44 40.37%
I am looking for a vacation cheaper than cruising 5 4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Default Yep, the economy is affecting the way I'm thinking & cru

I always took a balcony before, even as a solo traveler....now if I have to go solo I wont go and pay the double fare.

And for the first time I am considering inside cabins as a way to save money.

But, I'm always looking for the bargain fare anyway.

If I want to stay in Paris, I'll rent a studio apartment instead of staying in a hotel. Cheaper and capability of eating in too.

I'd have to say filling up my gas tank at $51.00 a pop has cut into my expendable money.
straight divorced female 60-ish seeks gal cabin mates 40's to 60's interested in sharing expenses for Caribbean and European Transatlantic-repositioning cruises and land trips: Bahamas, southern Caribbean cruise, Mediterranean cruise Greece Prefer balcony when affordable.
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Default South America!

Paul, we have not stopped crusing but will avoid Europe for awhile. The poor exchange rate is the big issue. Carole likes to shop and these rates would making finding any value almost impossible. We feel lucky. We started traveling in Europe first land tours and then two Med cruises. The Caribbean is still new to us and we love the sun and water. We are talking about South America. Some longer air travel required but could be interesting, and I believe still represents a value. Mike
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Captain

The airfare from Anchorage to the east coast has always been high, but it looks like we'll be paying at least $600 this time. We'll still cruise because we don't really do much entertainment spending all year and a cruise is our way to totally relax and unwind. We may have to watch the on board and port spending a bit more, but we'll make do.

AKcruiser
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Passenger

Default Speaking of sticker shock ....

Last Septeber October I was looking up studio apartment rentals in Paris.
At that time They were about $500 to $600 a week.

I'm having sticker shock. The apartmets are now $1076 a week and these are the same exact apartments I looked at last Sept/October online.

At that time it took $1.32 to buy a Euro. Now it takes $1.56 to buy a Euro -
so how could the price have doubled ?

I suspect ze French are going to have a lot of empty apt rentals.
Apparently because the hotels doubled their prices and raised themselves from 2 star to 3 star and more, obviously not going by the luxury, but giving themselves stars to match their prices, the vacation apartments thought they could do the same.

Yikes. there's going to be a lot of passing up French vacations.
straight divorced female 60-ish seeks gal cabin mates 40's to 60's interested in sharing expenses for Caribbean and European Transatlantic-repositioning cruises and land trips: Bahamas, southern Caribbean cruise, Mediterranean cruise Greece Prefer balcony when affordable.
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Captain

Actually the down turn in the ecomony may be a good thing for us, as it happens, for various reasons that I chose not to discuss here. Having said that I have to save money for our wedding in 2011 which hopefully will include a 12 to 14 day Hawaii cruise. Still I hope to take a short cruise next year after our renovations are done.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We cancelled our cruises due to Jim's work. One was this summer during the high price season, and the other was Halloween, with Cruisemates friends.

When the plans changed during the summer cruise, I could have re-booked, but decided not to, due to the fact that everything has gone up.

We will now book in the off seasons, in order to save money, and might go back to cruising out of Galveston, to save air fair.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how things go.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

We are also avoiding Europe this year - too expensive. not so much the cruises, but the airfare and everything else (including tours).

Airfare to Alaska is still cheaper than Europe, and from here in PHX it is only about $599 roundtrip. And that is to Juneau. Flying to Seattle would be cheaper.

The Caribbean has been surprisingly cool every time I went down this year (3 times). Even in the Southern Caribbean last week we had temps in the mid-70s in the mornings and high 70s in the afternoons. There was a refreshin breeze almost all the time.

Even my East and West Caribbean cruises were similarly cool, though not as cool as last week.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Admiral

As much as I would love to take a cruise to europe, I also like to shop. With the dollar pining against the euro, I am going to wait until there is an equilation of value. Most women love to shop, and when prices are high they get mighty discouraged!
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Admiral

I have slowed down but not because of the economy. The slowdown in my retirement funds is why I slowed down. I have one for late this year and I am always looking for a quick one out of Galveston for a song.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Yes, the sorry state of the economy is forcing me to make alternative travel arrangements. With the price of gas over $3.00 a gallon over with the scouts we are doing more hiking and traveling by horseback. Doing another ten mile hike Sunday, hiking the south rim of the Grand Canyon later this month, and packing my kiddo off to a Cavalcade this summer.

As for water transportation, I'm cruising but can no longer afford taxis on shore excursions which is why I'm walking the Sydney Harbour Bridge this fall.

Alas, next year I'll likely pass on cruises for Philmont and SeaBase trips - too much adventure - too little time.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Admiral

I'm not changing my cruise plans, we can only do so many because we go to Europe a least once a year. This year we started the year on the Carnival Liberty, we are flying to Hawaii on april 15th, we are doing a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas in may, and have plans to visit europe in september ( Netherlands, Germany and Portugal). We also plan to spend new years eve in Las Vegas.
I have worked hard for many years, but now I find that life goes by very quickly so that I like to travel while I can.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

My current plans were set in stone and this was one exception where cost took second place to timing, both Lori and I know this is probably the worst time to travel to Europe with the currect weakness of the american dollar.

so while I hoinestly had to claim it didnt effect my plans at this time it most likely will in the future.
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Default A New Twist!

with the Airlines converging and failing at an alarming rate, I am concerned about losing the air miles we have built up. How easy it would be for the airlines to do away with the milage programs. I might have to rethink a trip to Europe next year. With the exchange rates the way they are I might be better off losing the air miles. I wonder where Kuki is going next year. Thinking out loud. Have a good day. Mike
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
bearspring

Default Not affected

We're not affected(thankfully)

October - Hawaii
January 2009 - Mexican Rivera
September 2009 - Alaska; repositioning

John
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Admiral

My economy is looking up.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Glad to hear it Mike. As someone on the verge of retirement I need to hear life actual continues. I hope our paths cross on a cruise one of these days. Mike
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

It is now!
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Captain

I cruised twice in 2007, for New Years and a two week Med cruise from Barcelona to Athens and I must that is definitely it for me for awhile!

I moved from Illinois to Wisconsin 2007, faster than I expected so no money, honey! I bought a cute little Cape Cod that I decided to remodel quite a bit and that is taking my funds!

I went to Italy in 2004, 2005 to England along with a transatlantic so I'm glad I got my overseas trips in before the major sink of the dollar!
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I think someone needs to start a thread of the various discount airfare sites, cheapest cruise rates, cheapest hotel rates, etc. I know I was not aware of the discount airfare providers (usa3000.com, allegiantaire.com) until my boss told me about them to start planning my first cruise. We all need to keep surfing the net even after we have booked whatever. Hotels may have rate guarantees you can take advantage of, discount codes to use, etc. I personnly have loved retailmenot.com when booking some of my stuff for these promo/discount codes. Now if I can find cheaper shore excursions next......... I love a bargain and being frugal with my money keeps me without skipping a step in this economy.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Cheating off of Kat's paper, eh?

One thing I never really thought about is how much you can save taking a transAtlantic cruise.

But I was doing my newsletter and I saw this:

One ship is sailing 9-day itinerary from Barcelona to Morocco; Canary Islands and Madiera for $849 per person.

BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY TO FLY TO EUROPE

Or you can take a 14-night transatlantic cruise for about $599 that is cheaper, goes to the same islands, and you save on airfare to Europe one way!
We flew to Rome a year ago (April 07) and did the 12 day Grand Med on the Freedom and want so much to go back. Our intention was to fly over in 2009 or 2010, and spend 2 to 3 weeks and forego the cruise portion. I wanted to compare the cost of flying/staying with the Transatlantic and staying over for a week before flying home. I started looking at the Transatlantic for April 2009 a couple of months ago and am still watching it, since it does seem to be less expensive than flying over and staying in Italy for 2 to 3 weeks. Your mention of a $599 rate on a transatlantic sounds great. We have not been quoted any less than $1350 for balcony on the Freedom Transatlantic and cannot yet get air rates since we are more than 11 months out. Which ship is offering $599 for a transatlantic and what itinerary does it have?

As far as our cruising this year, we just took a 5 day from New Orleans to Progreso and Cozumel with the family. This was our Christmas gift to the kids and grandkids and was booked last summer. We go again from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas at the end of August with son and his family who could not join us on the one two weeks ago. I don't think we will be spending any more travel money until the economy changes though.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Admiral

WE live next to four big cruise ports so I would not fly out to go on a transatlantic, Alaska etc. The euro is so high it makes it tough for us to go visit my family there also. Someone mentioned housing, it is so expensive. My father agreed to pay for the rental of an appartement for us as it is cheaper for him.

I habe been searching airfare from now until January for germany. We will fly alone and leave our youngest teenager at home with older daughter and her family. This way we save another $1000<flight,food etc>

As for cruises, they are still the best value in my opinion. But we will search very hard to find one that fits our needs.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Passenger

The economy has changed our cruise plans just a smitten. We went from a Grand Suite on our last cruise on Royal Caribbean's Voyager down to a Jr. Suite for our next upcoming cruise in 2009.

We will still be cruising and we saved $800 too. Which will be used to make a nice down payment on our 2010 cruise.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Passenger

The economy has changed our cruise plans just a smitten. We went from a Grand Suite on our last cruise on Royal Caribbean's Voyager down to a Jr. Suite for our next upcoming cruise in 2009.

We will still be cruising and we saved $800 too. Which will be used to make a nice down payment on our 2010 cruise.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Admiral

The national airline of Texas will usually beat most alternatives if you check far in advance for specials and use the Chase card affiliated with the line to average about one free ticket a year. There is no other airline that will allow you to really see the country up close and meet so many interesting people on your right and left if you confirm at the gate rather than online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Also - Southwest Airlines, which doesn't come up in the big travel booking sites, has some good deals to Florida and elsewhere now. Seattle, too.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRT
We haven't changed our plans yet,but will buy our gasoline at the cheapest places around.
That is one thing that I do not understand, people will drive 20 miles out of the way to say 5 cents on their gas purchase.

Is that saving money? I don't think so. Now I will not buy gas right by the interstate and pay more if I can help it, but I will buy it at the station close to my house.

NOW I do combine errands so I am not driving as much-and I no longer get "a bee in my boonet" and hop in the car to run to the mall just to go to one shop there to check out one thing.

I will still go shopping, but instead of it being a quick run, I schedule it so I can spend the whole day and hit all the shops in the same area, instead of going to one shop on one day and another shop on another day because I only had time to go to one or two. If that is all I have time to do, then I do not go, I go a day when I can do all of my shopping

Now back to the question. Yes crusing IS the best value, so we will still cruise, as long as we can afford any type vacation, but I am sure, not as often.

we took a cruise last September and then another last month but right now we have nothing booked.

Now, an alternative we have found, is renting a beach house off seaon. we usually do this somewhere on the South Carolina coast, so a 5 hour car drive away, but we have found we can rent a beach house in a gated community, which also has pool privileges for around $300 a night or $1200 for a week if we book the whole week (so yes if we only need 5 nights we still book for a week as it is less)

Sometimes another couple will go with us and we split the cost. When we do that, we give them the master bedroom, if our daughter is with us, they get their own bathroom and then we share the other bathroom with our daughter. the beach house has three bedrooms

Now this is nice for spending lots of time on the beach, we usually have simple breakfasts and lunchs we can make from the beach house, with little or no preperation, and then we have dinner out.

We ARE asked to run the dishwasher and strip the beds, and put the sheets and towels in the wash when we leave, though we are not asked to vacuum or scrub, to get back our deposit of $300.

So, not as luxurious, (now if a steward came with the deal!) as a cruise for sure but we do enjoy doing this also.

We were doing this once every 2 or 3 years, and we would average a crusie around every 8 or 9 months, but I can see us doing this yearly and cruising once every couple of years now.
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike
Glad to hear it Mike. As someone on the verge of retirement I need to hear life actual continues. I hope our paths cross on a cruise one of these days. Mike
My fellow Mike, I look forward to that day! Cheers!

Old May 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry I missed replying to you about which ship had a $599 transatlantic. That had to have been for an inside cabin, though, and you said you were researching balconies. It was probably the same ship.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:03 AM
Admiral

If things economic continue as they are currently (especially as regards fuel prices), I should think it will sadly, eventually have a measurably negative impact upon cruising. That is, of course, dependant upon on how much those with middle and especially lower middle incomes cruise. It has not effected our next cruise which is in a few weeks but then again, we don't cruise that often, this being only our second. We are on what I believe, would technically be considered a lower middle fixed retirement income by those who rate such things.

TDH
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Admiral

The economy is such that I have cancelled my Splendor cruise, because of the air fare, and now will do the Ecstasy instead. I am also looking at doing an inside cabin, which I have done only once, so I can save enough over a few months, so I can do another inside this year and get back on my two every other year routine.

Old June 1st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Life's tough in Houston - imagine the air fare will be a killer when they complete that cruise port.

Any news on when all y'all's cruise port will be online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
The economy is such that I have cancelled my Splendor cruise, because of the air fare, and now will do the Ecstasy instead. I am also looking at doing an inside cabin, which I have done only once, so I can save enough over a few months, so I can do another inside this year and get back on my two every other year routine.