Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Is the economy affecting your cruise plans?
No, the economy has not changed my plans 35 32.11%
Yes - I am scaling back with fewer cruises planned 25 22.94%
I am concerned but have not changed any cruise plans 44 40.37%
I am looking for a vacation cheaper than cruising 5 4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Is the Economy Affecting Your Cruise Plans?

Please take this poll about the economy and cruising.

The curise industry says that the economy has just a very small influence on the cruise industry for several reasons:

1. Americans feel entitled to their vacations

2. Cruising offers high value vacations

Do you agree, and either way, is the current economy affecting YOUR cruise decisons?
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

We haven't changed our plans yet,but will buy our gasoline at the cheapest places around.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Paul either way I would be doing research to understand good ways to cost cuts while still enjoying my cruise vacation. I'm an overpreparer for example for the incoming cruise I know the stores I will shop at and the restuarant I will eat at. I have a limited time on vacation I find research makes the time more well spend. Why would I want to spend my hard earned money on a bad restuarant or waste my limited time in stores that don't have items I like?

Call me crazy, my hubby does. On this upcoming cruise I'm going with my family and they let me research then they just cheat off my paper. 8) If they are unhappy with anything then they should have reseached it themselves. I also find going to italian website helps me understand the italian just a little better.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Cruising costs will continue to affect our decisions about cruising. Right now we pick cruises that we want to go on that fit into our budget. If it comes to a point where money is an issue then we will do like Kat and look for ways to cut costs or choose something else.

By the way thanks to Kat for all her hard work. She has been a real help to me on our transatlantic cruise.

Phyll
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cheating off of Kat's paper, eh?

One thing I never really thought about is how much you can save taking a transAtlantic cruise.

But I was doing my newsletter and I saw this:

One ship is sailing 9-day itinerary from Barcelona to Morocco; Canary Islands and Madiera for $849 per person.

BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY TO FLY TO EUROPE

Or you can take a 14-night transatlantic cruise for about $599 that is cheaper, goes to the same islands, and you save on airfare to Europe one way!
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am doing three cruises this year. Two 4 nighters and a 7. I may scale the 7 down to a 5 next year with the kids since they don't chip in at all.

To Norm's poll, I was invited by a girl to go on the Inspiration in October, she is paying so I guess I will let them put the beds together.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Cheating off of Kat's paper, eh?

One thing I never really thought about is how much you can save taking a transAtlantic cruise.

But I was doing my newsletter and I saw this:

One ship is sailing 9-day itinerary from Barcelona to Morocco; Canary Islands and Madiera for $849 per person.

BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY TO FLY TO EUROPE

Or you can take a 14-night transatlantic cruise for about $599 that is cheaper, goes to the same islands, and you save on airfare to Europe one way!
Plus you get $200 ship board credit with CM's TA. Phyllbo I don't mind if you cheat off my paper. I had a job that required skip tracing so the internet is my friend. I can find things on the interent a lot of people have trouble finding.

For example I'm a plus size lady and italy is known for the petite ladies. I wanted to find stores the sold clothes above a size 12 that way I don't waste a lot of time (time is money).

So I find this website http://www.granditaglieforti.com/taglie-forti-roma.asp then searched the stores on the list a couple had websites I narrowed to Pitran Donna (woman) they have a Pitran Uomo (man). Also it's important to know italian clothing and scarpe (shoe) sizes. Here is that site. http://goeurope.about.com/cs/shoppin...othes_size.htm

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Admiral

it has definitely affected my vacation plans:

each year, I usually do a trip with my mom (so we can do everythign she wants to do and not worry about what other people want to do; and that is either a cruise or Las Vegas)

then I get my 4-5 day vacation with the significant other, which is either a cruise or Las Vegas

then we try to squeak in another 4-5 day trip.

this year, Las Vegas is out of the picture - no sense in gamblign when we have to save for some rainy days.

so we will probably take one trip less; spend less and take more booze on the cruise
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Cheat, moi??????? don't you know Paul that they call me "Mother Superior?" (Don't tell anyone, but I need just as much grace and mercy as anyone else. SSSHHHHH)

Kat, once again thanks for the added info. Don't plan to buy any clothes in Rome, but how about those restaurants? I think I am going to have to treat you to something delicioso when we get there.

Phyll
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllbo
Cheat, moi??????? don't you know Paul that they call me "Mother Superior?" (Don't tell anyone, but I need just as much grace and mercy as anyone else. SSSHHHHH)

Kat, once again thanks for the added info. Don't plan to buy any clothes in Rome, but how about those restaurants? I think I am going to have to treat you to something delicioso when we get there.

Phyll
I'm all over the food Here is link to a thread I started on Slow Travel Italy http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...5/m/1581007514

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'll bet you didn't know slowtrav.com is CruiseMates sister site. They are also owned by our parent company.
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Default Is the Economy Affecting Your Cruise Plans?

Keith and I have two things planned: a couple of days in Santa Barbara to celebrate his birthday and a 15-day Circle Hawaii cruise in Jan. 09. Neither of these trips requires air fare. Keith negotiated a great rate for the hotel in Santa Barbara via Priceline. I hope we can hang on to the cruise. But everything is really so much higher, such as gas and groceries. Summer promises VERY high a/c costs.

Judy
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Another thanks to you Kat. That is great information about places to eat, and little hints too. Glad you posted that question. I didn't realize that they had a message board there, but then again, I didn't look that far.

Paul, I didn't know that slow travel was connected in any way to CruiseMates. That was interesting to find out too.

Phyll
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I'll bet you didn't know slowtrav.com is CruiseMates sister site. They are also owned by our parent company.
Slowtrav has been a great help to me with the TA cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Passenger

As long as I have a job - we are cruising. Transatlantic cruises or repositioning cruises are great but the air fare is usually the killer. Airfare is almost as much as the cruise. 18 day transatlantic in balcony was $1895. Checked airfare and all over $1500. First time in years we booked airfare with cruiseline because it was only $879. Of course may take us 2 days and 5 flights to get Venice to start cruise ....

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Not sure where you are flying from in the US but $879 is still pretty reasonable for roundtrip to Europe. I know we paid $1300 from Phoenix peak season a couple of time last summer. They keep saying its higher this year, but I still see bargains.
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Yes, we are cutting out some cruises.
With the weak dollar, we canceled a 09 cruise in Europe.
The one for this year was paid off before the economy problems got worse.
We bought our air RT each to Amsterdam for $705.00 months ago.
What happens next year we will see. If things stay the same, we may cancell all. Europe is nice but to expensive. The euro is at 1.59
Carole 8)
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree that I am less interested in gong to Europe with the current exchange rate. Just last summer at 1.36 it was pretty brutal. It actually seems worse than Britain where even though the exchange rate was 2 to 1 after cobverting things didn't feel all that expensive.

The dollar has not weakened so much against the pound as it has the Euro, its at about 2.08 vs 2.00 last summer.

But I am not cruising any less. Just not to Europe.

The cruise line love getting those Europeans on board, though. Can you imagine how cheap a cruise feels to a German citizen paying in Euros?
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

Paul,

The economy is absolutely affecting my cruising plans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our retail shop located in a tourist area is strongly affected by this messed up economy. The cruise we took last May was totally different than previous cruises as we didn't buy hardly anything on the ship that we usually do, ie: photos, trinkets, jewelry.....etc. and shore excursions are now the cheapest ones if any at all.

The booking we have for next October I'm very excited about and it's been long paid for in advance. We did however book it out of a local port so as not to need airfaire. None the less, I'm nervous that if things don't go well this summer we may have to cancel.........

Scratch that..... I'M NOT CANCELLING ! lol

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Since we live in Arizona, the recently escalating air fares may affect us and our decision to cruise. We had talked about doing a short cruise out of Miami in July to celebrate my birthday on the ship where we met, but the air fare is almost as much as the cruise, so we may do something else instead. We're still committed to our September cruise on Carnival Liberty, but I am hating the quotes I'm getting on air fare to Miami. But we hate to give up the cruise and getting to spend a couple of days in Miami, which we love, so I guess we'll just bite the bullet.
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Dezert...

Since I live in Phoenix myself I couldn't help noticing the great rates on Mexico Riviera cruises this winter. Cheaper than most Caribbean cruises and on nice ships like HAL Oosterdam, Dawn Princess and Carnival Pride.

Also - Southwest Airlines, which doesn't come up in the big travel booking sites, has some good deals to Florida and elsewhere now. Seattle, too.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Admiral

We have a two week cruise (plus pre and post) this year and have two weeks in Europe (Greek Islands and Baltics back to back) booked next year. The Euro USD exchange rate may make us reconsider our 2009 plans. We will probably see if we can get frequent flyer tickets and then make a final decision.

As for the fall in the USD, it sure has been a big negative impact when you live in Japan but get paid in USD.

Still no plans to cut back on vacations. After all, my retirement account has taken such a big hit that I need to keep working and earning vacation time.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

We have three cruises booked for this year. Two 7 nighters and one 4 nighter. Yes, we are looking at ways to reduce costs.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Admiral

We are taking cruises closer to home this year. So far:

Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera 3/30/08

We are also taking a cheap flight over Thanksgiving to Guadalajara. We will be renting a car and will drive to Zacatecas and Morelia, two lovely colonial cities. The highlight will be seeing the monarch butterfly "convention" after the long migration. We will be staying at some very nice but very reasonable B&Bs. Land cruises are fun too!
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Defintely, we are retired and since the stock market is down, we can't take chances, so we will wait it out for a few more months. We do have a few future cruises, but nothing is set as yet. Hoping for at least a 10 night cruise in Oct/Nov, but the way things are going it looks like a 7 nighter instead. We already did a 8 day and we have a 4 day coming next month, so I guess I can't complain too much. And we have to have enough $$ to fly to visit our grand children!
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Vaughanster
Default To Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I am doing three cruises this year. Two 4 nighters and a 7. I may scale the 7 down to a 5 next year with the kids since they don't chip in at all.

To Norm's poll, I was invited by a girl to go on the Inspiration in October, she is paying so I guess I will let them put the beds together.
Kids?!?!?!?

As for having a woman take you on a cruise (and pay for it), you've certainly one-upped me there! 8)

Uh, how loosely are you using the term "girl"?
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Nope, with your dollar low it is only more interesting to fly out to the States, it is cheap for us now 8)

Old March 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Admiral

With the cost of air travel and the cost of gas rapidly excellerating, we have decided to take a cruise, close to home, departing from Norfolk, Virginia. The only expense, besides the cost of the cruise, is to take a cab to the pier! Thank God that the cruise industry decided to have more places on the coasts for embarkation points!
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

I must say that I absolutely LOVE the cruise lines' reasoning as quoted by Paul in the OP.

In effect, it said that Americans feel entitled to their vacations, and that cruise lines offer value. The third line in the syllogism that's implied is, obviously, "Americans feel entitled to cruises."

Well, I know that the lines are doing well, ships are full, they're building behemoth ships like there's no tomorrow (they may be right). At the same time, our "entitled" American friends are carrying higher consumer debt loads than ever, and the credit cards companies are coming up with even more clever ways to get more out of them in interest, fees and penalties. But, hey, none of that matters if you're "entitled."

So far we have no cruises planned for this year, but that's just a fluke. Due to many different things coming together at once, we'll be going to Bulgaria and France in May to visit friends, South Africa in September to visit another friend and do a safari, and maybe to Australia late in the year or early next. In 09 we want to do Nile and South America cruises.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Right now I do not have a cruise booked until 2009 but due to non-economic reasons I haven't booked one for 2008.

I do think that the economy is effecting people's decisions to cruise. Some of these are positive and some are negative.

People may take a cruise as an alternative vacation because of the high cost of gasoline or airfare. "Homeland Cruising" will become even more popular.

On the negative side, cruising may become less of a vacation alternative for people in "flyover land". Air fares have increased and I scour the airlines for the best deals for Europe, South America, Florida and the West Coast. All of these are now significantly higher than they were a year ago. When the airfare is equal or greater than the cruise fare it is a turn off for taking a cruise.

My wife and I have talked about this and we see that we will probably be taking one longer cruise, to a faraway destination rather than multiple cruises to the Caribbean or closer.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me