Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo
Default 83%

From the 12,600,000 people who took a cruise last year, 10,300,000 came from North America.That's almost 83 % of the total. Very intresting numbers I must say.

Prediction is that this year 12,800,000 people will take a cruise vacation.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision
Vision
Eurodam
Regal Princess
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Gfleo that is a fascinating statistic. I am kind of wondering why, if North America is such a lucrative market, many of the cruise lines are deploying ships elsewhere, forsaking us to go woo other parts of the world?
I realize the impending economic gloom and doom rumors and the deflated value of American Currency has something to do with it, but it has taken them years to build this volume of market share in the United States, Will they be able to re-create that success in Europe? Seems to me that if I were a European, I would take my Euros or Pounds and come to North America for a vacation where I will get a lot more for my Vacation Dollars, than take a ship around Europe. Are the european based Cruise Lines filling their ships to maximum occupancy right now?

I had a Transatlantic cruise booked and the cruise line just out of the blue decided to keep the ship in Europe all year long rather than keeping her here in North America for the winter season and cancelled the cruise. This seems strange to me because the ports it will cruise to in Europe are really not that popular in the winter. So I just don't understand how they intend to fill that ship. I do wonder why they would risk it when ships are typically sold out when sailing from North America.

Time will tell how this trend works out for the cruise industry.
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Admiral

beenie--

They're not. All this says is where the people come from, not necessarily where they cruise. Seems like more and more people are breaking away from the Caribbean, and stretching their imaginations to other parts of the world. Good thing as far as I'm concerned, but they're still mostly Americans. In other words, the itineraries are in other parts of the world, but the passengers are overwehlmingly American.

BTW, that's another reason why crossings are fun: you tend to get a more international crowd, which for me is always more interesting.
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

European cruises are becoming VERY popular amongst americans, therefore each year more and more cruise ships are being deployed to europe
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision
Vision
Eurodam
Regal Princess
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
First Mate

I had just read an article in a magazine this week (I can't remember which mag it was) that said the cruise industry was looking for other ports. They seem to think the Caribbean is getting stale and looking for new places to go.

Dewayne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2cool
I had just read an article in a magazine this week (I can't remember which mag it was) that said the cruise industry was looking for other ports. They seem to think the Caribbean is getting stale and looking for new places to go.

Dewayne
The Caribbean has remained popular far beyond its inherent attraction, mostly I think because it's about the only place where a seven-day itinerary makes sense due to relatively short flights to and from the ship. Thus, those with only a week to devote to a cruise go there, whether or not it's their ideal destination. Psychologically, I think longer flights seem "not worth the trouble" to many people for a short cruise.

When you add in the people who cruise who are too scared to fly at all, and those who must cruise on a shoestring, you get a built-in clientele for Caribbean runs, where they can drive to the embarkation port and take a short cruise.

The more creative places the lines can go, the happier I'll be.
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

More Europeans are cruising then ever before, but still, Britain as the number 1 cruising nation other than US isonly at about 1% of the population who has tried a cruise.

It is actually pretty funny - America has invaded their shores in our cruise vessels, but only recently have many Europeans thought about going on one of them.

They do go on River boat cruises, though.
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a Brit, I think that our cruises are dearer than yours - for some unknown reason!!

Our fuel prices are double yours for a start - a cruise for 14n to the Med in a Balcony cabin is £2,000 ($4,058) per person....

So its no wonder not many Brits can afford a cruise !!

Not sure about River cruising, not many Brits I know do them on all the cruise chat sites I go on, a few do try a Nile cruise on German Rhine cruise, but not that popular.
Sue