Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Default Guatemala - Farmers taking tourists hostage?

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

That is sure scary. I hope that all sides will work together to come to a good conclusion.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Yeah I guess these farmers are part of a group that took 29 policemen hostage in Livingston last month. It is a shame because the people of this area really need the tourist dollars. It is a huge boost to their very poor economy. If they keep pulling stunts like this, tourists will avoid this place like the plague and to be honest I really do love this area and will be there in two weeks. I was thinking about going back to Livingston again and doing another private tour through a fellow we used before, but in light of this, I will just stick close to the port, maybe going to a nearby resort.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Admiral

I love Guatemala. It is true you need to be cautious. But I have never felt danger there such as that I felt in Jamaica. Antigua is a lovely city with wonderfully kind and warm people. The Rio Dulce area is fantastic and magnificent.

Fox news is not always the most trustworthy source of news. I would double check any such news story before believing same.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Admiral

How about the American Embassy or the International Herald Tribune?
http://guatemala.usembassy.gov/wardene20080227.html
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...ts-Hostage.php

Check it out for yourself.

Just so we're on the same page here, I love Guatemala and the Rio Dulce too. I hate to see this happen, it is very sad. It's so bad the guide that took us on a wonderful tour there last year has cancelled his River tours until further notice. It is bad right now, there are a lot of scared people. I am kind of surprised that the Cruise Line is still allowing passengers off the ship here, since the embassy issued a warning quite some time ago. Too bad those Belgian Tourist weren't informed of it (I assume they weren't informed of it, otherwise one would think they would not have been on the Rio Dulce)

A little history to help explain what's going on:
If I remember the story correctly, about 10 years ago, the only way to end the battles and warring factions was the leader of the government at that time promised the government would give land rights to the people who had farmed and occupied it. Well here it is a decade or so later and it never happened, now someone with power and influence is coming in and having these farmers evicted from their livelyhood. That is why all of this is coming to a head right now. I can't say I blame them for being angry, and this could be the beginning of something really ugly, or it could be the beginning of something really positive in the life of these guatemalans. It all really depends on whether or not the government delivers what was promised many years ago.