Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Default Classic TV (Twilight Zone)On Your Computer !!

I just noticed on CBS.com that you can view classic tv shows....they have Hawaii Five O..MacGyver..Melrose Place..Star Trek...and my all time favorite ..Twilight Zone...it amazes me how well Twilight Zone stands up over the years...the fact that a 30 minute show, actually is about 26 minutes of programming...and how great it is to see all the great stars when they first started out...and what a genius Rod Serling was and way ahead of his time..IMHO, it's better then 99% on network (free) tv these days

for those of us old enough to remember, what was your favorite Twilight Zone or any other classic ( before 1980) tv episode ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As a kid, the show, from The Twilight Zone, that scared me the most was, called... "the monsters are due on mape street"

I used to watch Hawaii 5-0 reruns nightly in the 70/80's, and the real Palace was used as the headquarters! I love when the networks run marathons odf all these old shows.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default v

Bananaza

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Captain

Default Re: Classic TV (Twilight Zone)On Your Computer !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
for those of us old enough to remember, what was your favorite Twilight Zone or any other classic ( before 1980) tv episode ?
The one where a woman is living alone in a rural cabin. She hears a strange noise and then is attacked by small space aliens from a miniature flying saucer. They have weapons and are shooting her, but finally her size and strength prevail, and she kills one and the other retreats to the ship.

We then hear the alien on his radio, warning that there are giants on this planet. The woman smashes the ship with an axe.

The camera pans and we see the side of the destroyed spaceship displayed .... U.S. Air Force Space Probe No. 1.

Cheers, Aidan

P.S. The actor playing the woman is Agnes Moorehead, Samantha's mother on Bewitched.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

How about the one where too many neighbors want into one of their neighbors bomb shelter? OY!

Or William Shatner on the plane, looking out the window, and seeing that llittle gnome on the wing of the plane! OY OY OY!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
First Mate

My fav Twilight Zone program was called "Walking Distance" where some stressed city guy has to stop and have his car fixed and he just happens to be within walking distance of the town where he grew up and so he walks to the town only to find out he has been transported back to when he was a child growing up.

I'm like you Venice, they have stood the test of time and I think most of today's tv is crap.

Dewayne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

The oldies and goodies like mentioned are on our TV cable channel
called TV Land.
The show Gunsmoke, Andy Griffin, Bewitched, Twilight Zone, and lots more.
Adoctors office ,treats a lot of elderly, so they have that channel on.
It's fun to watch.
I have all the Star Trek in color and on the latest DVD. With our big screen tv I can see all the coffee stains on the uniforms.
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice:

I love Twilight Zone. It is a rare pleasure to come across an episode I have not seen and when I do I watch it.

A couple of my favorites are:
Burgess Meredith as the myopic bank teller who's only joy is reading. He is caught in the bank's vault during what is a nuclear war, but never explained, and he is the last person alive. He finally finds the library and all the books and is in heaven.......until his glasses fall off and are broken. His heaven now turns into a hell.

I also love the one where the aliens land and give humans all this wonderful technology that increases our food supply and wipes out disease. They also start to give vacations to their home world. All of their acts are dictated by their sacred book "To Serve Man". The almost final scene in which the linguist, who finally cracks their language, runs to the space ship and yells at his girlfriend. "DON'T GO! IT'S A COOKBOOK." Leaves you taken back and also makes you think.

Twilight Zone was a wonderful place for writers like Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Asimov and others to showcase their talents and also a great place for young and aspiring actors such as Walter Matthau, William Shatner, Burgess Meredith to also showcase their talents.

There has been nothing like it since and I wish there was.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Has anyone been to www.hulu.com yet?
Lots of retro shows and movies there too!
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Destiny 2009
Carnival Valor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Miracle 2012
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Mike..thanks for sharing, I remember those shows well..how come no smart media guy has not try to bring back the Twilight Zone series? Are there copyright issues?..would be perfect for cable..I vaguely recall they try to bring back a modern version of a "The Outer Limits" but it was not around for long
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

My favorite was the doctors and nurses standing around a woman, who has had surgery to repair her disfigured face.

The doctors and nurses are shocked to see that the surgery has not worked. When she turns around to the camera, she is beautiful, but when you see the faces of the medical staff, you see that they are the disfigured ones.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I loved the Twilight Zone. I do not remember any particular episode but I do remember the whole family gathering in front of the tv to watch it.
Another program I loved was the Alfred Hitchcock hour. I watched it faithfully in my childhood. Years later I was watching a rerun of that program. It was supposed to have been set in Boston. I laughed out loud as the scene showed the actors driving down a street supposedly in Boston and the street was lined with palm trees!! Hmmmm........ the set decorators obviously did not do their homework.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain