Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default You Always Remember Your First;)

When we first cruised in 1990, on the Celebration, we really were in awe of the whole experience. Our heads were on swivel, so much to see and do. Look honey, we're on a cruise!

As we all cruise more, chat here, read the cruise board and magazines, the joy is "always" there onboard, but with experience, sometimes things can become jaded, been there, done that sort of thing...because, there can never be a first time again.

Do you remember, on your first cruise, what positively blew you away?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

When we first arrived at the port of Miami, the ship towered over the buildings.
Then when we checked in & boarded; the size, the atrium, the cabin, the food, all of this had my mouth open for several hours.
I'm amazed when I watch the newbies come on board. they have the same expression we did on our first.
btw Trip our first cruise was on the Celebration too in 1995
How time and the ships have changed. I still like the mid size over the mega size ships. The Freedom of the Seas was by far the largest and most fun, but too big for our taste.
Carole 8)
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Admiral

the wind
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Default You Always Remember Your First :)

My first cruise was a 1985 New Year's cruise. My DH and I sailed on Sitmar's Fairwind to the Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. She carried 685 passengers. After that, we were hooked!

I remember that we had a huge cabin with a high port hole window. No big square windows or balconies on that ship. We also had a Brasilian cabin steward who brought us martinis and gin and tonics at 5 p.m. every day I also recall that dinner on New Year's Eve was very dressy, and the jewelry was eye popping. All the men wore tuxedos. Things are really different now.(:

Judy
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Admiral

my very very first cruise was with my ex in-laws family on the Oceanic..I had to share a quad with my future brother-in-laws and never did get to catch up with my future wife because she was in the cabin with her parents

my first "real" couple cruise was on Carnival Mardi Gras...boy was that fun ..great bon voyage party..lots of free drinks...great island steel drum bands...dining room was in the bottom of the ship with no windows..beds were small...x-rated entertaiment at the midnight shows and all for $199 p/p

those were the days
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Century, we loved the entertainment, the food and just being at sea. We were bitten by the cruise bug, and now it's our favorite way of taking a vacation.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise was with Pacquet Cruise Lines, on the Dolphin. What I still remember the most is the feeling of being treated "like royalty!" That and how SMALL the cabin was! The ship felt huge, but as I recall, it was 507 ft. Pretty small by today's standards.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Our first was in 1980, on Emerald Seas. It wasn't a huge ship, and because of a snafu with our TA he got us a lovely cabin with large windows and even a TV! We had all our table mates back for a drink and to see this room and the bathroom was nice too. Then we had to wait 14 years till the kids grew up and in 1994 we cruised on the Norway, that ship had me in awe of it all. The marble promanade deck inclosed with lovely brass lights. It was so different than our first cruise. 1995 was our first Celebrity cruise on Zenith, that sealed the deal, Cruisers for life!
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Our first cruise was on the Mississippi Queen from New Orleans to Natchez and back to New Orleans in 1983. This had always been my mom's dream trip and she and my dad took the whole family. Dave and I had been married just about a year, my sister and her husband came with us as did both of my brothers, neither of who were married at that time. It was sort of a blue hair cruise but we had a blast!
I guess it was the food that impressed me most....how there was always something to eat......as I remember it our bar bill (to this day Dave and I can make each other laugh if we say Calliope Bar, Calliope Bar, Calliope Bar....our bill was pretty much Calliope Bar, Calliope Bar, Calliope Bar) was pretty impressive.
Another great part about the cruise was I worked for Quality Inns at the time here in Orlando and our reservations office arranged for us to have a room at the Quality Inn in the French Quarter for $10/night. We had a great time sitting on the balcony drinking beer and watching the world pass by in front of us. Maybe when our hair gets blue we'll go on it again!
Angela Z.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Vaughanster
Default My first cruise

What made my first cruise the most memorable was the kindness of an elderly Mexican couple who shared my dinner table. Not only did they have dinner with me, which was more or less obligatory, they went to shows with me, and toasted the New Year with me. I appreciated this, especially since I was alone. I may forget everything else about that cruise, but not their kindness.

8)
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My first cruise was on Carnivals TSS Festivale. February 25th 1983. We went to Nassau, San Juan Puerto Rico and St Thomas. I remember bursting into tears as I sat on the bus going to the port. I saw Festivale for the first time and started to cry. She was, in my eyes enormous and absolutely the most beautiful ship I had ever seen. I remember on the night of my birthday the waiters coming with a cake and singing for me. I was traveling with 5 other ladies we were enchanted with the Maitre D'. We called him "flirty eyes" I remember waiters dancing in the dining room with trays on their heads. I remember animals made from the napkins. I remember that every night the dining room had a different theme, Caribbean night, French Night, American night. I remember how sad I was when we arrived back in Miami. I wanted to stay. Within a week I was booked to sail the same week the next year on Mardi Gras. I was hooked.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Admiral

So many years ago I cruised on my first ship" The Entchantment of the Seas" for a 1 week cruise to St.Marteen etc. I was amazed, awed and yes hooked! I believe at the time she was the biggest ship around.
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

1st cruise was in 2003 on RCCL, Sovereign of the Seas - it was a 5 day cruise and it was at Christmas! I was totally taken back by 1) the beauty of the ship, 2) the huge gingerbread town on display in the main lobby, 3) the friendliness of the wait staff in the dining room and 4) the food!!

When we got back I told my daughter I'd pay for the next cruise and I've been cruising ever since!
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Admiral

First cruise was 2004 on the Carnival Fantasy. The thing I remember most was being upgraded from an oceanview cabin to a penthouse suite with balcony. The upgrade was complete surprise since I had booked a specific cabin not a guarantee.
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

It was the Celebration....and the water was so BLUE! Our cabin was so SMALL! I remember worrying that my children (who were young at the time) would fall overboard! Also, I thought Camp Carnival was the BEST! My children thought the cruise was better than our trips to Disney World! Oh, and the drinks were so pretty.....I remember ordering "The Twilight Zone"!

Melody
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
First Mate

My first cruise was in 1955 on the USS Frederick Funston...... I was 6 and really don't remember much. My first adult cruise was in 2003 on the Rhapsody OTS and like ready2gonow I couldn't get over being treated like royalty...... maybe we were just lucky but every crew member we came into contact with just could not do enough to accomodate our every wish.

The other thing was just the ocean..... maybe it was because I came down with that year's version of the flu soon after we sailed, but just sitting out on the balcony with the oj the doctor order was just magical. I couldn't get enough of just watching the waves go by.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Default Sitmar, Fairsea

Not counting the Navy, my first cruise was in 1973 on TSS Fairsea still Sitmar Cruise Lines. To be honest it was ok not great. We were the youngest people on board and the girls enjoyed the attention from the crew. It wan't until 2001 that we tried it again on the Regal Princess to Alaska. Thats the one that got us hooked. Mike
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Oh you are talking about the first cruise. For a minute there I thought I was going to have to relate the story about Holly who lived around the corner from me when I was growing up. .

Our first was in 2004 on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Ft Lauderdale. We overnighted at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street. In the morning I opened the drapes and there she was along with 3 other ships wating for us at Port Everglades. There was a thunderstorm going on behind the port which added very neat lighting effects.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Captain

Our first cruise was in Nov. 2004, on the Ecstacy. We loved it so much that we have gone on 19 more since then. I plan to cruise the rest of my life. The most relaxed I have ever felt is on a cruise ship. I think it is the best way to travel and vacation.

Libragirl
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:37 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

My first cruise was on the Fantasy in 1991...and I really hated it....not because of the ship. I hated it because I hate heat and humidity and I went to the Bahamas in August. In my defense, I was young and impulsive and there was no internet to research on! I remember what I did like about that trip was the feeling of being in motion on the ocean.....the breeze in my hair, the gentle rolling of the ship and the wonderful drinks!

It took my 8 years to cruise again after that cruise, but I have been hooked on cruising since my second cruise. And I will be going back on the Fantasy next February....going back to the first one for a second look (after the renovations.....I am looking forward to the Serenity area!)
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Admiral

We took our first cruise, in November 1998, on Royal Caribbean's, Raphsody of the Seas. From the minuite we boarded the ship we were like "two kids in a candy shop". We could not get over how beautiful the ship was with its decor, activities onboard, friendliness of the staff and our fellow cruisers. We were "bowled over" so much so that when we heard and announcement on the P.A. system about booking your next cruise onboard, we jumped at the opportunity!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

First cruise in May 2006 - a special 'one off' holiday of a lifetime ' to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary.....in six weeks we will be onboard for our 27th Wedding anniversary, our 5th cruise with 6th booked for September !

NOT SUCH A ONE OFF THEN!

TOTALLY ADDICTED AND LOVIN' IT

Sue,
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What did you mean by this, Sue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraLass

NOT SUCH A ONE OFF THEN!

Sue,
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

One off = the 1st cruise was going to be a 'one and only cruise# a special holiday, but now it looks like its a habit...we are addicted !

Sue x
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraLass

One off = the 1st cruise was going to be a 'one and only cruise# a special holiday, but now it looks like its a habit...we are addicted !

Sue x
8)
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Admiral

It was in the late '70's, or early '80's, and had to have been either the "Flavia", or the "Emerald Seas". The main thing is that whatever ship it was, it Hooked Me, and I've been sailing ever since. Funny thing about those old ships, was that you never knew in advance what your cabin would be like. Each, and every cabin was shaped different, unlike today where they are all basically the same. You might get a BIG one, or a small one, depending on the plumbing, and where on the ship it was located. It might be square, or oblong, or even "L" shaped. Whatever, they were all great.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
the wind
Funny you should mention that. When we were on Sovereign of the Seas last August, DW was preparing for an international choral competition and had all her music for both the competition and the show package with her. On the first sea day, we went up to the sun deck, and forgetting that we were doing about 20 knots DW laid her open music folder on the lounge chair. Music flew everywhere, mostly down to the pool deck rather than into the sea, fortunately. All the musicians in the area, and several other good Samaritans jumped into action and rescued every page.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10