Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Welcome.

I am glad you started this thread as I think it gives us all pause to stop and think before we hit the submit key to go back and read what we write, and edit what we should if we submitted to quickly.

Some times we say things in the heat of a moment and the wrong way that is truly hurtful or sounds crass and uncaring, and yet we dont always mean it that way it comes out.

I would like to also say what wonderful nice looking kids you have, I imagine these were prom pics, which means a very proud moment I am quite sure.

Personally, I love a cruise, and land trip with kids, with elderly, and with a large selection of cultures and groups. I am fortunate that my kid wants to vacation with us, brings his GF and Friends along as well, and I enjoy every moment of it, and I cant wait ( OK I can till he finishes unniversity ) to take my own grandchildren on both a cruise and land trips.
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Yeoman

kat, we who know you, realized that you meant no harm with the brat comment......heck, even me, who loves my grandkids more than anything in the world will jokingly call them a brat every now and then. BTW, I think YOU are a brat because you find better pictures to post than I do...
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
kat, we who know you, realized that you meant no harm with the brat comment......heck, even me, who loves my grandkids more than anything in the world will jokingly call them a brat every now and then. BTW, I think YOU are a brat because you find better pictures to post than I do...
I agree with you Iris46
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Thanks Inis46 and James.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Passenger

DELETED
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
First Mate

Kat, we who see your posts every day and know what a kind, helpful, funny person you are know that was an unconsidered one-off. But Kuki had a point....... non-members see these posts and "could" get an incorrect idea of what this site is all about. Repeat after Kuki, "Not a clubhouse, not a clubhouse, not a clubhouse........."
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Life'sabeach:
WELCOME!!!!!

I think I missed where and when you wre cruising?

I am and probably will be offended every now and then about what has been posted. Sometimes I reply and sometimes I just think.."let it go"

Your children are beautful, may I also say.

My daughter married a wonderful young man of Mexican heritage. They have 2 young sons. One son is very light skinned and the other has darker hair and skin. That doesn't mean we love either of them differently. Children do not see in colors unless it is pointed out to them.

Please keep viewing these boards. They are so helpful and have saved me many problems in trying to figure things out. Although, and most will testify to this, I tend to ask the same question more than once

Hey, I'm blonde and I "older", that's my story and I sticking to it

The people on here are wonderful people who knew their "stuff" and have a great sense of humor like yourself.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

To the OP, alot of what some of us post has to be taken tongue in cheek. Some us are a bit cheeky as they say.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

I can't see how a few questionably offensive posts among the millions of posts on CM would lead a new poster or lurker to believe this is the norm or condoned. Unless of course you are looking for them. As DTW said, we all take a tongue in cheek attitude and any posters that have been continually offensive usually come and go.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi LifesABeach!! Welcome to CruiseMates. I think you will find this to be a great place to be. We all love to cruise and offer help where we can. We are diverse folks and have other interests too. We have always felt free to discuss those on the boards too.
My work is providing direct support to folks with developmental disabilities/mental retardation. I not only work with them daily I have had some living in my home. I really get involved and love what I do.
Again, Welcome

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Admiral

For balance, I'd like to see the OP post something positive about this site.
She mentions that her topic is the impression made on newbies.

Well, to people like me it appears that she scoured the board for negative posts and came up with 5 or 6.

I like our average.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Passenger

DELETED
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I really..really..really like her 8) 8) 8)
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Passenger

DELETED
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Passenger

DELETED
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by life'sabeach
I had to have one more scour before I toddle off to bed, and found this thread http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...744&highlight=

positively hilarious, this is my idea of humour, I'm almost tempted to join this cruise, maybe I will start a thread named 'should men wear tutu's on cruises'

C'mon along! The best part of it is, I fully expect to see Kuki in a tiara and tutu on this cruise! Not sure how many drinks it will get him, but he will try!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Life'sabeach that is so funny cause one of the first threads I started was entitled "is a pink tutu okay for formal night." Check it out. http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...ight=pink+tutu That will give you a better idea of my personality. The was a cool video great singer, I like the kiss too.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

LAB,

Personally, I don't think I have EVER offended anyone with my posts

I'm not a racist, nor do I discriminate! Sometimes I am "out of the box" and things can get a little rowdy!

As a child I had to travel a lot with my Dad's job. We lived in India for a VERY long time (too long if you ask me!) We went to a private school with children from all countries. There is one comment someone made that is still with me today...41 years later! I'll never forget the derogatory tone in their voice as they said...."THOSE AMERICANS!" I agree that we can be rather outspoken, but we are also the MOST giving country in the world. A little gratitude would go a long way, especially when we are in their country helping their people.

My attitude toward people was molded by those early travels. I never judge a person by their race, creed, religious beliefs, sexual preference, etc. I judge people by the way they treat others. While I may be considered VERY outspoken, I have a giving heart. So please accept my advance apology should I ever offend you.

My friend Kat is also a wonderful person! I know she would NEVER deliberately hurt anyone! I'm sure she is sad about the entire thing. As far as meeting up with her on a cruise and having a conversation....you have wrongly judged her. In her defense, we are not snobby people. We speak to everyone and would never deliberately exclude anyone from our shipboard or message board chats.

So, we extend our hand in friendship and hope you do the same!

Melody
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Admiral

LAB

The PMS cartoon looks pretty scary! I'm thinking menopause might be even worse!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Someone made a good point as they said: Political correctness has gone so far that it is a form of dictatorship. WE are not allowed to have an open opinion on any topics because they are viewed as "hatred" "bigotry" etc.
In a sense we are living in a communist country as we are not allowed to have our own opinions. And I am not speaking about a cruise message board but in general. How sad.
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by life'sabeach
Quote:
For balance, I'd like to see the OP post something positive about this site.
She mentions that her topic is the impression made on newbies.
I believe my opening sentence was a positive comment

Quote:
Well, to people like me it appears that she scoured the board for negative posts and came up with 5 or 6.
I have scoured enough for today I think, what else is there to do on a cold bank holiday weekend anyway!!! I only scoured comments over a week or two period, forgive me for looking, and posting my 'opinion'
Well, it appears that you will always be on the defensive and that is a shame.

If you are going to quote me, please have the courtesy to quote all of my post.

I like our average.

Out of eleventy seven bazillion posts you found 5 or 6 offensive ones over a week or two period.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
It seems like a few of our posters are the ones who are being defensive... and in some cases doing it by going on the offensive, which isn't all that open or welcoming .

Nothing wrong with pointing out some of the negatives on the site. It did lead me to a post I hadn't seen that DID warrant deleting. Perhaps a bit of pointing gives some people pause to think a bit before they hit submit.

And just as a reminder of those who may have just skipped to the negative... the OP did post in her first post....
Quote:
let me just say foremost, I have found a lot of informative and helpful material on the boards.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Kuki..great point, you beat me to posting the reminder of her opening thread..that's why you are our supreme leader
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Admiral

She also like our sense of humor in the Princess post on the blogger's thread. By the way curiousity is getting the better of me since no one answered my question about your thong.

I for one have no problem with people pointing out negative things they find on the board they find offensive... as long as it isn't one of my posts!

Old March 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
It seems like a few of our posters are the ones who are being defensive... and in some cases doing it by going on the offensive, which isn't all that open or welcoming .

Nothing wrong with pointing out some of the negatives on the site. It did lead me to a post I hadn't seen that DID warrant deleting. Perhaps a bit of pointing gives some people pause to think a bit before they hit submit.

And just as a reminder of those who may have just skipped to the negative... the OP did post in her first post....
Quote:
let me just say foremost, I have found a lot of informative and helpful material on the boards.
Well, to repeat...I liked our average.

Kuki, consider your mission accomplished
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Welcome to the boards.

You could have read those comments and decided to run for your life. I'm glad you didn't.

I needed to read this thread as I've been feeling a bit like a wounded soldier for responding to something I should have left alone. From time to time I run across things that challenge me and even cause my blood to boil, but overall I have to say that this is a great place to visit. I have met many wonderful people here, and shared a lot of good times.

Hope to see you posting lots more. It's fun to share the joy of cruising with others who love to cruise too.

Phyll
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
She also like our sense of humor in the Princess post on the blogger's thread. By the way curiousity is getting the better of me since no one answered my question about your thong.

I for one have no problem with people pointing out negative things they find on the board they find offensive... as long as it isn't one of my posts!

Dude it's a total bummer when it's one of your posts.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Admiral

After a thinly disguised slam...I'm out.

Suck ups are hard to tolerate.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Hey are you calling me a suck up? Or Kat?. Now if it's me, we're gonna have a problem here Stinker. But now if its Kat... I think I can live with that.

Old March 26th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Hey are you calling me a suck up? Or Kat?. Now if it's me, we're gonna have a problem here Stinker. But now if its Kat... I think I can live with that.

Thanks a lot I must look like a great target. But, Beenie I don't think it you or me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994