Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Default ugly shoes,

I have the most abused feet on the face of the earth. Years of standing on my flat tired dogs have taken their toll and short of orthotics and a cortisone shot there hasn't been much to help the situation, until today that is. I wandered into my nearby Red Wing Shoe Store (yes the place that specializes in steel toe work boots) and told the people my tale of toe woe.
When I was a child, my grandfather, who was in his 80's back then, was the last of the true shoe cobblers. Of course toward the end of his life, arthritis and old age slowed him down a bit, so he started carrying Red Wing shoes to replace the ones he would make by hand. So I figured if they were good enough for Grandpa, I should give them a shot.

Boy, Red Wing shoes have sure changed in the past 35-40 years. They have really cool orthotics that are working much better for me than the custom made jobs I got from the foot doctor, Really cute sandals and these kind of ugly shoes called Vasque. They kind of look like hiking boots, without the high top of the boot, and they mostly come in dark earth tones, well at least that is what they had in stock.

I really didn't want to buy the ugly shoes, but luckily the staff of Red Wing perservered and patiently coaxed me into taking the leap of faith, OMG I tried these puppies on and they fit like a glove. My feet feel so good, but they look BAD! I guess I am willing to sacrifice fashion for comfort these days. My vanity has surrendered.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

oy:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Trip I promise I won't wear them for formal night
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

BW, happy feet are needed to walk through life with a smile:) With, my issue of my feet swelling when I vacation, I certainly comiserate with you, and wish I could get an answer to my issues as easily you found the right shoes for you. From this shoe lover, I applaude your courage. Jimmy Choo, is somewhere in a corner weeping, but, I say yayayayay for you;)

Old March 25th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Funny you should mention ugly shoes. I just read in the paper about the makers of Ugg boots (you know, the ugly, but wonderfully comfortable fleece-lined suede boots) that they are launching their newest product in Montreal, Ugg flip flops. Yes that's right, fleecy-fuzzy lined flip flops!
If this cold weather keeps on here, we will need fur-lined flip flops this summer!
I would love to try on a pair, but at $70 a pair, I think I'll stick with my rubber ones....

donna
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

I can sympathize with you Beenie, I also have hurting feet, Plantar Faciitis, and arthritis in my left foot from breaking toes a few times. has made show wearing a misery for me. thank God I live in Florida and can live in flip flops and sandals. I say if they are comfortable go for it! Hey! you might start new style!!!!
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Funny you should mention ugly shoes. I just read in the paper about the makers of Ugg boots (you know, the ugly, but wonderfully comfortable fleece-lined suede boots) that they are launching their newest product in Montreal, Ugg flip flops. Yes that's right, fleecy-fuzzy lined flip flops!
If this cold weather keeps on here, we will need fur-lined flip flops this summer!
I would love to try on a pair, but at $70 a pair, I think I'll stick with my rubber ones....

donna
RD I have two pairs of uggs flip flops OMG so comfy!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Admiral

My goal for this upcoming cruise was to find a pair of cute walking shoes. I find this thread. http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums?m...62&f=862600685 and followed a friend's advice which was to buy the shoes at nordstorm because they have a really good return policy. I buy some $150 Munro which caused bilsters some I returned them and got sketchers and inter sole from birkenshire (sp?)Similar to these only black

"la bella figura" is a thing over in Italy so I didn't want to wear big ole white Nike tennis shoes and look like a tourist.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Beenie, I can sympathise with the sore feet. When I was young I was a hostesss in a restaurant. I wore spike heels from morning until very late at night. as a result my big toes are pointed inward to fit the pointed style of the shoe. Finding comfy shoes is difficult at best. Anything that presses on the big joint of my foot is very painful. I plan to check out Red Wing, thanks for posting the info.

RD $70 for flip flops!! Yikes!! I paid $35 for mine from Margaritaville and everyne thought I was crazy. They are well made and have lasted daily use since I bought them last June. Well worth the money and very comfy.
I have also had luck finding comfy shoes from Rockport and Birkenstock.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 26th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Admiral

the good thing about being a man is we don't worry about ugly...as long as the shoes fit, we are
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Admiral

beenie-----thanks for the info about Red Wing Shoes. My mom has alot of trouble finding shoes that fit properly and are comfortable. She is on her feet all day working in the deli department of Shaw's Supermarket. I'll have find a store in our area to take her to.

Curious minds would love to see apicture of your "ugly shoes".
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Admiral

those are cute shoes!

When my birthday rolls around and my mom asks what would you like my answer UGGS. 8)

I am the queen of blisters so it takes a while to find the right shoe.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Admiral

I've been looking at shoes for our trip to Italy too. My tennis shoes are my most comfortable, and the ones I can trust to get me through the day. Like Kat, I really want something a little more fashionable. It's funny, but I've looked at the Skeetchers and tried them on, and they feel great. Just not sure what they would feel like after a few hours. I have bought some new Merrill sandals which are what I wear most of the time here in FL. I'll keep looking at other stuff.

Kat, I hope your new shoes work out well for you. Sounds like getting shoes in Italy might be a good idea. At half off for Mephistos, and the rate of the Euro we'd still get a bit of a deal. :-)

Phyll
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Ugg flip flops. I found them for $49.99 at boot barn.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Hey Phyll one thing I did find that I realy liked at Red Wing were the Sport Sandals. They weren't terribly ugly. and looked very comfortable. I am strongly considering going back today and buying them. NoLou have her check out the orthotic inserts too. They are great. For someone who needs extra support or cushioning. They are nice because you can put them in the oven to heat them up making them pliable, then put your foot down on them so they actually mold to the shape of your foot. They are about $45 and come with an unconditional 90 day money back guarantee. I have terrible flat feet, Plantar Fasciaitis, bone spurs, so I need something to give me an arch, so I use them, as is, right out of the box and they give me more relief than the custom orthotics I paid big bucks to the doctor to have made.

Heres my ugly shoes:

Here's the water sandals Phyll:

Hope these help somebody with sad tootsies.
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Admiral

I like that shoe I would not call that shoe ugly

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Admiral

CQ ya know I think its the color that really gets me. I like light colored athletic shoes to wear with shorts and stuff. It will just take some adjustment on my part to embrace the dark side, lol! I think the water sandals are nice though and I think I will return and get those today. The more I think about it, that sounds like a good idea to me.
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Anothe pair of shoes, is ALWAYS a good thing;)

Old March 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Beenie I was just expecting a picture of an ugly shoe! I was alittle confused when I saw the picture of a nice shoe classified as ugly.

But I get confused alot around here!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Well CQ, thanks for liking my shoes, maybe I won't feel quite as self conscious now.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Admiral

I remember when Nancy Sinatra sang the song, "these boots are made for walking", I believe that shoes shoud be comfortable even before they are stylish. You can have your Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks; I will buy good quality brand shoes that feel comfortable. As my grandfather, who owned several shoe stores always said, "if your not good to your feet they will not be good to you!"
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Default Ugly Shoes

Oh, the ugly shoe brigade! With high arches, bunions, bone spurs, arthritis, and battles with toe fungus from diabetes, I am definitely in the ugly shoe brigade. Wih regard to cost, I have found that enough pain makes me pay any price and sacrifice my vanity for relief and comfort.

I had one pair of Mephistos, wore them once and gave them away. Thong sandals are very painful, too. I find that slides are the most cool and comfortable for summer, and I am looking for a couple of new pair. I have two pair of Munros that I've just about worn out, and of course, they don't make that style any more!

Anybody out there wear Softspots?

Judy
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Been out there looking at shoes after reading this post this morning. I didn't end of buying any, but I did find a beautiful wool area carpet for the family room. :-) A great deal at TJ Maxx. OH, well I can still use shoes as an excuse to keep on shopping.

I like the shoes you posted beenie. Those are some of the ones I've been looking at too. Whenever I see someone else with those on, I think man those look great, and must be so comfortable!

Phyll
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Admiral

beenie---those aren't ugly. I also like them.
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Thanks guys! Well I went ahead and bought the water sandals. They are so wonderful! and a little more attractive. I guess I am ready to go on vacation now!
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Katlady,

Wouldn't all that fuzzy stuff get dirty? These wouldn't last long for me unless I got some dark colored ones that didn't show the dirt!

Libragirl
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Quote:
Katlady,

Wouldn't all that fuzzy stuff get dirty? These wouldn't last long for me unless I got some dark colored ones that didn't show the dirt!

Libragirl
Yes they would. They do make a pink pair, but these will be shoes I just look at but don't buy. I'm cheap and $50 for flip flops is to much for me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Quote:
Katlady,

Libragirl
Yes they would. They do make a pink pair, but these will be shoes I just look at but don't buy. I'm cheap and $50 for flip flops is to much for me.
Actually those ugg flip flops are more like slippers. These uggs are better for outdoor wear.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:01 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Not sure if you would have had it recorded over there but one poor lady lost her life late last week as she got her foot stuck on the rail crossing in one of the wooden slats of the crossing. She was wearing a pair of Ugg boots and got her foot trapped.

Two lads tried to save her as a train was fast approaching but alas, couldn't do so in time.

Very tragic indeed.

Kimmiegirl
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

For me those are ugly shoes. But then I do not like the any of the bulky sneakers they are wearing these days. For me when it comes to shoes "less is more"

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain