Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Default Time for Hardball

Got back from a meeting a little while ago to find an e-mail saying I won the lottery for two of the last remaining seats for Sunday night's opening game at Nationals Park. Have to pay for them, mind you, but the game's been sold out for ages, mostly to season ticket holders and miscellaneous politicians.

We also went to the opening game at Camden Yards in Baltimore on April 6, 1992 (can it really be that long ago?).

I had a choice between upper reserved seats for $38, or Presidential seats for $335. It was a tough choice, because the $338 seats include free nachos, but I settled for the upper reserved.

New gimmick, I got to print the tickets here at home. No will call lines. Just go. Very sharp.
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have been seeing the hoopla on the news about this new stadium. Where is it, exactly?

I am happy for you. Sounds like fun. How did you know it wasn't a scam? Did you register?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Admiral

It's on the Anacostia Riverfront in an area that's being redeveloped with the ballpark as the centerpiece. It's about a mile to a mile and a half from the Old Post Office where you picked up your tour.

If it's a scam, it's the most amazing one I've ever seen. The registration for the lottery was on the official MLB/Nationals website. I happened to see it the other night when I went in to look for the season schedule. So I registered, and the e-mail I got contained a code that could only be used once, and it took me to the Major League Baseball online booking engine for that date. After I bought them, they e-mailed the tickets, ready to print out, barcodes and all.

If it was bogus, they can have my 78 bucks for their creativity, because it would have involved an awful lot of very intricate programming.

If you have an extremely high definition TV, you can see us on ESPN Sunday night.
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

It sure sounds like fun. Is you wife going with you, or someone else?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Terry's a baseball fan too. She wouldn't miss it. Ironically, we have matinee tickets for a great new production of Death of a Salesman, so we'll be going directly from the theater to the ballpark, probably stopping for some dinner in between.
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Admiral

What a great weekend you have planned.

Have fun!!

Tell Terry I am sorry I missed her on Sunday.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Have fun AR.

I think I would have gone for the Nachos.

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like a great time.

Phyll
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good win AR!!!

I of course have a certain affinity for the Nats, since they were the only Canadian National League team as the Expos. Also because I have a preference for the "real baseball" of the National League, as opposed to that silly DH thing

I was amazed last fall when I was in Arizona... game 2 of the NLCS was scheduled. I checked the Diamondbacks site, and got seats 20 rows up right behind home plate for list price. I'd thought I had struck gold.

It was actually my first live baseball game. I was REALLY HAPPY so few in Az. cared about the game.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Admiral

I'm with Kuki on being a National League fan. That stems from my formative baseball years as a fan of the (Brooklyn) Dodgers.

Ballparks? I should make a list. Then I should put asterisks next to the ones that have been torn down or abandoned. Is the Stick still standing in San Francisco, or did they finally send it to its well-deserved appointment with the wrecking ball? Ebbetts Field. . .The Polo Grounds. . .that awful concrete donut they used to have in Cincinnati. . .the old Busch in St. Louis. . .the old Comiskey in Chicago. . .Tiger Stadium (or Briggs, if you prefer) in Detroit, Memorial in Baltimore. . .and now, RFK in Washington. And I've even been to a few that are still in use! A lot, actually. But soon Yankee and Shea Stadiums will be on the "once upon a time" list. I just hope they never touch Fenway and Wrigley.
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Admiral

AR..before you die you have to go to a Tuesday afternoon game at both Fenway and Wrigley..it's passage back into time when baseball was really the game

fyi..every year there is a baseball jazz train that travels thru New Orleans, where you attend some of the better minor league venues..when you are on the train going to Kansas City then Chicago, some great smooth jazz artist entertain you onboard the train and then you go to a major league afternoon game in both cities, then go to a major jazz club at night

maybe next year for a change, I'll take the baseball jazz train instead of going on a jazz cruise
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Venice--

You kidding? I went to college just a few miles up the road from the Addison Road el stop outside Wrigley. And I could walk to the el from my dorm at Northwestern. Took me maybe 20-25 minutes to get to the ballpark. Weekday games at Wrigley were always part of my April and May. I'm pretty sure I've only been to Fenway at night, though.

Couple years ago Kevin called to say that he had two tickets to the Nats/Cubs game for the following Saturday. I didn't have a schedule in front of me so I said great, come on down to DC and we'll go.

"It's not in DC," he said. It's at Wrigley. I'll meet you at O'Hare.

So we both flew to Chicago, took the el to the ballpark, had a great lunch up on the roof terrace at the Cubby Bear, and ambled off to our box seats at the game.

Then we went up to Evanston to visit my old stomping ground, stayed overnight, and we each flew back to our respective homes the next day.

The Nats won.

That train sounds nice. Where does it originate?

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Admiral

Will be kinda sad to see Yankee Stadium come down.

Babe Ruth was the first player to hit a home run there.........

Dean
Old March 29th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Admiral

somewhere on the west coast

Mean Dean..sounds like you were there when "The Babe" hit the first home run....since I am much younger then you ::, the most famous "home run(s)", that I remember is when Reggie hit 3 consecutive in a row in a world series game
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Admiral

AR - have a great time...at the play and the game.
I see on the news the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom. Seems like it can't help but be a wonderful day there.

My niece heads down on Thursday for a few days she will be catching a Yankees game and a Red Sox game...not sure if she is going to the National's park or the Orioles or both. She of course is a Red Sox fan, her bf is a Yankees fan. Not sure how this will pan out as I don't believe in "mixed marriages". Maybe love can overcome all...
(In mixed marriages I only mean between Yankees/Red Sox fans before some of you take it to mean anything else and get hot under the collar).

Nothing planned today, but wish there was something fun to do.

Yesterday was busy - saw my friend and here baby.
Checked in at Church to make sure all was calm
Went out to lunch with niece, her dad and one of his business colleagues.
Then watched a movie with my niece at my house - The Last Sin Eater
Then went to the surprise party. DH worked late, but made it to the Party in time, but in his work clothes. We had a nice time.

Hope everyone has a restful day,
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Admiral

VT...I am from upstate New York and a life long Yankee fan, so I know exactly what you mean when you refer to "mixed marriages" ::...it would be a sin for a Red Sox fan and a Yankee fan to share anything ::

were they together during the infamous playoff that we Yankee fans to this day, don't talk about
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This is my favorite time of year. The beginning of baseball season is filled with excitement, hope and the joy of being a kid again.

I have tickets to the Twin's home opener. It will still be in our "Dome". The "Dome" is the worst place to see a baseball game but we only have two more seasons to endure it until our new, state of the art, ballpark will be open in 2010.

Even in a mediocre ballpark it is still great to just sit and watch the game and the different teams.

Boy, I love baseball.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJen
I see on the news the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom. Seems like it can't help but be a wonderful day there.
Very pretty here today, but a little cool. Yes, the cherry blossoms are out in full force and very pretty this year. We've had lots of late winter/early spring rain. The Park Service guys hit their prediction right on the nose again like they usually do. Luanne was just a week too early.

Oh, and Mike, yes, I should have mentioned the Humphrey Baggie-Dome as worthy of anyone's all-time list of godawful ballparks. It will be a blessing for the entire game when baseball is no longer played there and I can put an asterisk next to it as a "former" venue. I've only been there twice, and in some ways that was two times too many.
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Admiral

AR, You are right. We did miss them, but we still had a great time.

I read all the books we I bought in the gift shop, and now want to come back.

Have fun at the game this weekend.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Michael Franks wrote a great song called "Baseball" and I always play it the first game of the season..Surprising, New Orleans has an excellent minor league team (Zephers), that play in an incredible ball park, that the tickets are very affordable for a family and they always have great entertainment (fireworks, concerts etc), after the game and between innings which makes for a great time

the beauty of baseball is that it is in slow motion and steeped with tradition (7th inning stretch) and is a ritual that is passed on from father to child and you can take your glove and maybe catch a foul ball
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Venice,

You're absolutely right. I mean, 3 at-bats, 3 swings, 3 home runs. Probably the greatest series of at bat's by any player ever!

Even though I live in Oregon, I've always been a Yankees fan. Something about "America's team.........."

Was very difficult watching the Yankees let Boston win the ALCS in '04. I mean, they're up 3 games to zip, 2 outs to go, and Mariano Rivera, the best closer in baseball, on the mound. Maybe they felt sorry for Boston, and let them win the series. Makes ya wonder, doesn't it...........

Dean
Old March 30th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Admiral

Mean Dean...I was on the Zuiderdam that week of the playoffs..talk about a living hell...it seem like any cruiser who was from New England came out of the deepest cracks of the ocean and just harassed anyone from the state of New York..will never forget it
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Admiral

DH is counting down till opening day so he can watch his Tigers play. Since we don't live in Michigan anymore he has ordered them up all season on Direct T.V. I think it would have been cheaper to buy tickets to the games,,,

But he's just like all you folks,,,a die hard fan. Must admit I enjoy it also.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
VT...I am from upstate New York and a life long Yankee fan, so I know exactly what you mean when you refer to "mixed marriages" ::...it would be a sin for a Red Sox fan and a Yankee fan to share anything ::

were they together during the infamous playoff that we Yankee fans to this day, don't talk about
I have two favorite teams, the Phillies and whoever is playing the Yankees. I have detested the Yankees as long as I have been alive. They have ruined baseball through their uncontrolled spending and I glory in thier playoff success of recent years.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
First Mate

AR, watched the game last night in your honor....... looked for you, but not sure I would have recognized you if you were on. Good game..... assume you were pleased with the outcome.
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Doug,
Yes they were. It didn't make for fun times.
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Oops, Venice. Yes they were.
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiegal
AR, watched the game last night in your honor....... looked for you, but not sure I would have recognized you if you were on. Good game..... assume you were pleased with the outcome.
That was me waving at you. Terrific game, of course. And the new park is really sweet. Glad we got there early. Even though I printed the tickets from the internet, we still had to wait in line for the better part of an hour to get in because all 40,000 of us had to go through airport-style security thanks to the secret service. That was very annoying. Magnetometer, hand scanner and body frisk. Excessive. Those who got there just before gametime were held up for 90 minutes and missed some of the game. Apparently Bush was gone before some of them got into the park.

In the scheme of the NL East, the Nats are supposed to stink, of course, according to all the pundits. And it may turn out that way, but I really think they're going to be reasonably competitive.

In the game just ended in Philly (Mon), the Phils and Nats were tied after eight, and the Nats put up a five spot in top nine, spoiling the Phillies' home opener bigtime. So we're 2-0. not bad.
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiegal
That was me waving at you. Terrific game, of course. And the new park is really sweet. Glad we got there early. Even though I printed the tickets from the internet, we still had to wait in line for the better part of an hour to get in because all 40,000 of us had to go through airport-style security thanks to the secret service. That was very annoying. Magnetometer, hand scanner and body frisk. Excessive. Those who got there just before gametime were held up for 90 minutes and missed some of the game. Apparently Bush was gone before some of them got into the park.

In the scheme of the NL East, the Nats are supposed to stink, of course, according to all the pundits. And it may turn out that way, but I really think they're going to be reasonably competitive.

In the game just ended in Philly (Mon), the Phils and Nats were tied after eight, and the Nats put up a five spot in top nine, spoiling the Phillies' home opener bigtime. So we're 2-0. not bad.
Blowing the home opener is a tradition here in Philly (6 out of the past 10 years).

I take it as a positive sign as we won the NL East last year after losing the opener to Atlanta.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Admiral

My home team is 0-fer the season thus far. I am a National League fan also. The best seats I ever had for a baseball game was in 2003, I had two seats behind the Astros' first base dugout and we were in the first row so we got to chat with Bagwell, Biggio and others as they came in from the field. We also wore big, oversized sunglasses and were put on the big screen and television.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.