CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   The Love Boat (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/349309-love-boat.html)

nolou525 April 1st, 2008 12:59 PM

The Love Boat

On a previous post someone mentioned that the first season of the Love Boat was out on DVD. Seeing that we were faithful watchers of the show, we went out this weekend and bought the set. We have already watched all 12 episodes on the 3 DVDs. They are funnier now then when we watched them years ago. My son found them to be even funnier.

The clothes, the hairdos, the music, the dancing, etc. were very nostalgic (sp) to say the least. Since I had not cruised when the show was first out, it is funny to see how the show portrays cruising. LOL LOL I'm sure we will watch them over and over again.

I highly recommend buying/watching these DVDs.

Paul Motter April 1st, 2008 01:12 PM

I have the DVD, too. I admit I was a fan of the show back when it first started syndication (1981). I watched it every day.

I suppose there is a reason why shows like that are not on TV anymore, though you can see Seinfeld or "Raymond" any night of the week. They are pretty Kitchy and dated. But at the time the show was actually somewhat :shock: groundbreaking because it addressed a lot of issues people didn't talk about opnly very often.

They talked about people sharing cabins before they were married :wink:

And letting men experience their "feelings". I think they even had very vague references to gays and cougars (older women who like younger men) though they never refered to those terms directly.

My bio online has this tribute:

Paul's love of cruising is born in a most inauspicious way.

Sitting in his lonely studio apartment, suffering the pangs of a sorely broken heart, he wonders how his life could have gone so astray. He thought everything in life was coming his way, but he was actually just in the wrong lane. Suddenly, with perfect crystal clarity, a brilliant light penetrates the muddled fog of his existence. It has the sound of angelic voices eminating from within.

It is the TV set -- playing reruns from the original 1970s series, "The Love Boat."

His obsession starts innocently enough. Merrill Stubing? ...the wisdom of Soloman. Doc and Isaac? ...lovable buffoons. Cruise Director Julie? ...ohhh, wait a minute. She's different. A guileless ingenue with the courage of her convictions. Paul can't tear himself away, he's learning what women really want. The Love Boat! The Love Boat! Soon will be making another run -- da dee dee dum da!

The Love Boat becomes a life study for Paul, every episode ending in a happy romantic glow. He even purchases one of those brand new fabulously expensive VCRs back when the only movies available are of an adult nature. Paul pretends to like that fare for appearance sake, but he secretly uses the VCR to tape "The Love Boat."

- -- - - - - -- --- - - - - - -- --- -- - - -- -----

That's a true story. I will never forget the SHAME when my friends found my copies of the love boat! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Trip April 1st, 2008 02:26 PM

The Love Boat reruns are the reason we started to cruise...See how many times someone walks on board with a Gucci train case. I stopped counting after a while:):) Everyones problems were wrapped up with a ribbon, in an hour, less commercials;)

katlady April 1st, 2008 11:19 PM

I have been dying to hear this all day. LOL

rollerdonna April 1st, 2008 11:43 PM

Oh my, that brought back memories! I've got to go get those DVDs!

donna

Cruznut2 April 2nd, 2008 05:06 AM

Reading this brought back memories of my first cruise in 1983 on TSS Festivale. I watched the Love Boat faithfully just to dream of my upcoming cruise. I also remember the first night of the cruise and talking to a man in the lounge. He claimed to be from ABC tv. He said they were negotiating with Carnival to use the ship to film a show on. He would not say which show. The next fall there was an episode of "Charlies Angels" filmed on a ship. It never did say which ship it was. I watched closely trying to see something familiar. Most of the shots were on outside decks. I suspected that the inside shots were filmed on sets.

Laura

venice April 2nd, 2008 07:18 AM

Paul...I hope you did not present your "bio" to your wife as part of your proposal :rofl:

Trip April 2nd, 2008 09:42 AM

In the "olden days" when, I used to turn on my computer every day, it payed the Love Boat Theme..I loved it;)