Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Default The Love Boat

On a previous post someone mentioned that the first season of the Love Boat was out on DVD. Seeing that we were faithful watchers of the show, we went out this weekend and bought the set. We have already watched all 12 episodes on the 3 DVDs. They are funnier now then when we watched them years ago. My son found them to be even funnier.

The clothes, the hairdos, the music, the dancing, etc. were very nostalgic (sp) to say the least. Since I had not cruised when the show was first out, it is funny to see how the show portrays cruising. I'm sure we will watch them over and over again.

I highly recommend buying/watching these DVDs.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have the DVD, too. I admit I was a fan of the show back when it first started syndication (1981). I watched it every day.

I suppose there is a reason why shows like that are not on TV anymore, though you can see Seinfeld or "Raymond" any night of the week. They are pretty Kitchy and dated. But at the time the show was actually somewhat groundbreaking because it addressed a lot of issues people didn't talk about opnly very often.

They talked about people sharing cabins before they were married

And letting men experience their "feelings". I think they even had very vague references to gays and cougars (older women who like younger men) though they never refered to those terms directly.

My bio online has this tribute:

Paul's love of cruising is born in a most inauspicious way.

Sitting in his lonely studio apartment, suffering the pangs of a sorely broken heart, he wonders how his life could have gone so astray. He thought everything in life was coming his way, but he was actually just in the wrong lane. Suddenly, with perfect crystal clarity, a brilliant light penetrates the muddled fog of his existence. It has the sound of angelic voices eminating from within.

It is the TV set -- playing reruns from the original 1970s series, "The Love Boat."

His obsession starts innocently enough. Merrill Stubing? ...the wisdom of Soloman. Doc and Isaac? ...lovable buffoons. Cruise Director Julie? ...ohhh, wait a minute. She's different. A guileless ingenue with the courage of her convictions. Paul can't tear himself away, he's learning what women really want. The Love Boat! The Love Boat! Soon will be making another run -- da dee dee dum da!

The Love Boat becomes a life study for Paul, every episode ending in a happy romantic glow. He even purchases one of those brand new fabulously expensive VCRs back when the only movies available are of an adult nature. Paul pretends to like that fare for appearance sake, but he secretly uses the VCR to tape "The Love Boat."

- -- - - - - -- --- - - - - - -- --- -- - - -- -----

That's a true story. I will never forget the SHAME when my friends found my copies of the love boat!
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The Love Boat reruns are the reason we started to cruise...See how many times someone walks on board with a Gucci train case. I stopped counting after a while:):) Everyones problems were wrapped up with a ribbon, in an hour, less commercials;)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Admiral

I have been dying to hear this all day.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Oh my, that brought back memories! I've got to go get those DVDs!

donna
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Reading this brought back memories of my first cruise in 1983 on TSS Festivale. I watched the Love Boat faithfully just to dream of my upcoming cruise. I also remember the first night of the cruise and talking to a man in the lounge. He claimed to be from ABC tv. He said they were negotiating with Carnival to use the ship to film a show on. He would not say which show. The next fall there was an episode of "Charlies Angels" filmed on a ship. It never did say which ship it was. I watched closely trying to see something familiar. Most of the shots were on outside decks. I suspected that the inside shots were filmed on sets.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Paul...I hope you did not present your "bio" to your wife as part of your proposal ::
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In the "olden days" when, I used to turn on my computer every day, it payed the Love Boat Theme..I loved it;)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator