Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default What Are You Reading/Listening To for Spring

time to check in to find out what my fellow CM'ers are reading/listening to

I'm reading (on alternate evenings) "Storming Las Vegas" by John Huddy, which is based upon the true story of Jose Vigoa ( how a Cuban born, Soviet trained commando took down the Strip to the tune of 5 world class hotels, 3 armored cars and millions of dollars)..think a real life version of Scarface, starring Al Pacino as Tony Montana...my other reading of choice is "Death in the Pacific" by Evan Thomas, a WW 2 novel about how Japanese madness met American ruthlessness in the final year of WW2 surrounding why we drop the bomb instead of a land invasion..in many cases American soilders were more brutal then their Japanese counterparts...I happen to work with a coworker who was actually in the Pacific during WW2 serving on a cruiser (he was 17 when he enlisted and had to have his parents sign for him) and to this day, he refuses to purchase or ride in a car made by a Japanese manufacturer

I'm listening on my surround sound system to "Cannon Re-Loaded" which is an allstar jazz tribute to the great Cannonball Adderley and "Bring Back The Funk" by Brian Culbertson, produced by Maurice White (of Earth Wind and Fire fame) which is a 70's funk album which is awesome

what are you reading/listening to these days/nights ?
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Venice, I just watched my fave movie, Scarface;) Every so often I need a an, Al fix.. It's also a look at the old South Beach [the bloody bathroom scene] before it became all trendy...

I always have a book in hand, and one in the car to listen to as I drive. In the car, I am on a Diane Mott Davidson kick, listening to her serie,s on a caterer, who finds more people dead then Jessica Fletcher!!

In hand, I am now reading, Dressed to Keel, a mystery set on a cruise ship..I am waitimg for the library to call me with James Patterson's 7th Heaven

Music, not so much....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Admiral

I'm STILL reading "Don't Miss the Boat" which I started on my last cruise in Jan. and may not finish until my next cruise on April 20th!
Just been able to read in short spurts, that's all, but certainly enjoying it!

2 weeks ago, my daughter lent me the DVD "Across the Universe", and I loved it so much I went out and bought the CD soundtrack.
I listened to it all the way across the Atlantic to London and back last weekend, and still listening to it in my walkman all this week. GREAT movie, and GREAT soundtrack, especially if you are a Beatles fan!

donna

P.S. over a year ago I attended a Chris de Burgh concert in Montreal, where he dedicated a new song to an American singer by the name of Eva Cassidy.
He said she had the voice of an angel, and unfortunately, she WAS an angel, having succumbed to cancer at the prime of her career.
I have looked everywhere for a CD by her and did not find one till last weekend in the Heathrow airport in London. It's called "Songbird" (also the name of the Chris de Burgh song ) and it is WONDERFUL!!
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Admiral

I had purchased a new Tom Clancey novel and a second book but I cannot locate them for now.

Otherwise, I am reading my school texts and working to keep my 4.0 average intact.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have read so many books this last three weeks. I am averaging one every two days.

The one I am reading right now is about Princess Diana, which I purchased in Lancaster, at the book store outlet.

Trip, I have the 7th Heaven book, and in fact brought it from Texas. I love his books so much, that I hate to read it, and it be over with. :shock

I have three more that I either brought with me, or purchased here, and I am determined not to have to pack them, so I have until Wednesday to read them all.

I have been giving them to the hotel staff.

Jim is still sick, and the light bothers his eyes, so I have a chair up against the window, and have the curtain over my shoulder, so I can get enough light to see.

Received an e-mail this morning from my book club saying the books I ordered are being shipped to the house, so I won't be without a book there either.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Default What are You Reading/Listening to for Spring?

I bought three books yesterday: Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer; Dispensation of Death by Michael Jecks, and a new book by Anne Perry titled Buckingham Palace Gardens.

I haven't been listening to music lately, except in the car. I need to reload some CD's for the car, too.

Judy
Old April 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Passenger

DELETED
Old April 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

At the moment, I'm reading "I've heard that song before", by Mary Higgins Clark...so far so good, hard to put down.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Admiral

That is one of the ones I have left. It is a paperbook, so I will probably save it for the plane home.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Captain

I love everything Mary Higgins Clark writes. I jus saw where her "Heard that Song Before" just came out in paperback. I read everything of hers, and can't remember if I have read this one. What is the basis? If I have not read it, I will pick up the paperback for my cruise next wek.

Currently reading a The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond. I picked it up to read on my cruise next week, but just couldn't wait and started reading it this weekend. It is hard to put down, but I am going to try to save at least half of it for the cruise though.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Currently I am reading "T is for Trespass" by Sue Grafton. I am 34th on the wait list at the library for "The Appeal" by John Grisham. I was 89th when I put the hold on it three weeks ago. Grisham's "The innocent man : murder and injustice in a small town " will be my beach book in the Barbados next month.

Musically I am mainly country and am currently loading up my new Ipod. My most recent is Kenny Chesney "Just Who I am: Poets and Pirates" and Carrie Underwood "Carnival Ride."

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Captain

Default Reading/Listening

I just finished reading "The Pillars of the Earth". Outstanding! Just about to start "The Kite Runner", then "A Thousand Splendid Suns". I've recently read "7th Heaven" and "The Appeal". Both good, but Grisham has a surprise ending in "The Appeal" that I didn't care for.

As far as listening is concerned, my iPod has everything from Il Divo to Judy Garland to Tony Bennett to Errol Garner to Emmylou Harris to Mozart. I put it on shuffle when I'm working out, and ENJOY!
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Currently I am reading "T is for Trespass" by Sue Grafton. I am 34th on the wait list at the library for "The Appeal" by John Grisham. I was 89th when I put the hold on it three weeks ago. Grisham's "The innocent man : murder and injustice in a small town " will be my beach book in the Barbados next month.

Musically I am mainly country and am currently loading up my new Ipod. My most recent is Kenny Chesney "Just Who I am: Poets and Pirates" and Carrie Underwood "Carnival Ride."
Doug,

I read "T" last week. It is one of her best in my opinion. Much better than the last one.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Admiral

I just finished reading a light mystery, "Dead as a Scone" so I am now reading the sequal, "The Final Crumpet".

I am having a problem with my ipod - on the menu the playlist no longer shows up, so I really don't know what to do, how to fix it or if it can be fixed. So, sadly, I'm listening to basically nothing.
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Jen, since you are reading other mysteries about "food" check out Diane Mott Davidson...my only advice would be to start, from her first novel...not terrible if you don't, as I didn't..but I wish I had...I bet you will enjoy her too.

Years ago, when I picked up my first Sue Grafton, I think it was "E." I bought it bascially to read on the plane home form Florida, thinking the cover was tropical, hence Florida. When I got on the plane, I saw others with the same book. I thought, I have a winner here..

I loved the books so much, I came home and got A-D from the library, and I was such a happy camper..I wrote her a note telling her how much I enjoyed them...Since then, with every new book coming out, I get a little gift, and evey Chistmas I get an autographed photo card:)

There is another author I enjoy, Frank Cerabino, a columnist for the Palm Beach Post. He has 5 mystery books all set in Florida [my fave] and they are a hoot...I enailed him the other day, asking when a new once was due..he told me one is being seruialized inthe paper right now, so I went to the site and printed out the chapters...you could also just read it online. The paper, this time for whatever reason, is not printing this one as a book. so go and read before it is gone! They are up to chapter 9 today.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Sadly I dont seem to have enough time to read in a day. I read the paper on line, several, including a Dutch one, in between things, and I always read the consumers reports magazines, and medical journals I subscribe to, and thats about it lately.
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I used to read 3-4 books a week. Since having eye surgery I have not read much at all. Recently I read "A Child Called It" by David Pelzer. It was the true account of the authors horrifying childhood at the hands of his abusive Mother. I am planning to read the authors other 5 books as soon as I can find them. If you read this one be sure to keep a box of kleenex handy.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 8th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.

Doug,

I read "T" last week. It is one of her best in my opinion. Much better than the last one.
Just finished it, great book! It was my first Sue Grafton, won't be the last. Now it on to Grisham's "The Appeal", a co-worker finished it and lent me her copy.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the suggestion Trip. I will jot down her name and look in too it!
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
First Mate

Venice

I've read a similar book to Death in the Pacific. It's called Hell in the Pacific by Jonathan Lewis / Ben Steele.

Good book, maybe I'll try yours.
Old April 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Admiral

perhaps in a few years we will read a book about why our troops did what they did in the prison in Iraq that was exposed

we do know this about cultural differences..during WW2 the "code" of the troops of Japan was that there was greater honor in death then to surrender..thus when US troops surrendered that resulted in the Batan Death March, the enemy did not consider the ally troops worth of respect

the V-Day Museum in New Orleans had a series of speakers that survived the death march and it was incredible to listen to them...what made the lectures even more interesting was it included some natives who tried to help our troops on the march by giving them water and scraps of food and how they suffered because of it

we can only hope our leaders learn from history about making young men and women go to war