Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Doing the Ink and Dink a Doo Dance

In the new world of e-docs I just finished printing out my NCL e-docs and luggage tags.

I actually like it MUCH better than getting the "kill the tree" folder from the cruise line. I have to admit that since my third or fourth cruise almost all the "stuff" that came with the docs went directly into the recycle bin and since the "document holder" turned into a cheap piece of plastic there really wasn't a keepsake left to enjoy.

The great thing for the luggage tags was that my daughter has the same paper that they make hospital bracelets. I used that to print the luggage tags so they are almost identical to the regular ones, except they are yellow. (she wouldn't give me the white) They even have the removable sticky back.

Technology: What a concept

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am impressed....I think it could go the way of the computerl for me too next time..Now, get packin!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Congrats on the Doc Dance........I sort of like printing at will myself....I don't mind the e-Docs at all.

Mike, I have a question. The average person probably doesn't know that the special coated paper exhists (I sure didn't)......so how does NCL expect people to expect a luggage tag to be applied or stay on from even home to the airport without being ripped off........much less during handling by the airport baggage staff. Am I missing something?

Princess and RCCL still send REAL luggage tags.
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Mike.......we just got luggage tags from NCL........for our cruise in May....haven't gotten any docs yet....even e-docs......but they say they will be sending a e-mail for it......so I am waiting.......

Have a great time.........

Sharon
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Mike,

Congratulations on your Inky doo dance.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Admiral

M'Gram asked
Quote:
Mike, I have a question. The average person probably doesn't know that the special coated paper exhists (I sure didn't)......so how does NCL expect people to expect a luggage tag to be applied or stay on from even home to the airport without being ripped off........much less during handling by the airport baggage staff. Am I missing something?
I know I'm not Mike, but I had the same thoughts when we had to print our Carnival luggage tags just recently. If you follow the directions on the tags after they print, (they have you fold the paper so it it actually 3 layers thick) it might work. However being a naysayer I printed the tags, folded them as instructed and then coated them with the wide Scotch wrapping (packing) tape. It worked fine and it wouldn't have ripped even in transit IMHO.

Other than that small inconvenience I think I prefer printing my own. You can print just the parts you need and kill a few less trees.

Hope that answers your question.

Carnival Glory
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mgram:

Tweety has it right. The way they have you print them you basically waste a full sheet of paper for each luggage tag and fold the paper so it is pretty thick. You could laminate it with packing tape to make it stronger.

I took the image and transposed the it onto one sheet of paper, so I got four tags on one sheet of the special paper.

One thing I did notice is that the original image was black and white. No color coding. I don't think my yellow color will cause a problem. Either that or they may think that my luggage is a "contagious" animal.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Thanks Gaile and Mike for the great explanations. Now I completely understand it and if the occasion arises, I will know how to do it. If CARNIVAL is doing it, then you KNOW it won't be long before rest of their brands will follow suit. Now I will be armed with solutions. THANKS!

Gaile......glad you are feeling better and back online!
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Trees are a renewable resource.....
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Admiral

A wonderful trip! Have a fun. RE Tags. NCL still sends luggage tags, along with being able to print them. They also always have them available at the port. Because we needed an extra one last one, we printed one tag ourself and were surprised with how well it held up.

Again have a really wonderful trip and enjoy it all!