Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Default Earthquake !!

I woke up this morning checked out the news and found out we had an earthquake about 5:30 this morning. I know I was awake at the time because Miss Samantha Kitty was pestering me to get up and give her Fancy Feast. But I didn't feel a thing. I called my sister about 45 minues away in Champaign and she said it woke her up from a dead sleep and "wiggled" her house a bit. She sounded really relieved and happy that we had an earthquake. A few days ago a friend of hers had passed away after a long battle with cancer and Sis had spent yesterday at the funeral. My sister claims to be a frequent victim of visitations of displaced souls who have passed on, she thought that her friend had visited to say her final goodbyes before passing over to the other side by shaking her bed and rattling the glasses in her china cabinet and was very relieved to hear it was an earthquake and not a haunting.
I should probably go outside and check the house to make sure I don't have any cracks in the brick or anything.
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Okay as a native Californian, I can say it doesn't sound like a big quake so your house should be fine. Do you know the size? Here is the map. The one in the middle must be you. 6 miles from Bone Gap, IL 5.2 that has a nice shake to it enough to wake you up. The bigger the squares on the map the bigger the quake. Here is a link click on the square to get information. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/.../N_America.php

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Glad everyone is okay!! Wow does that map show all the earthquakes from last night only? That's a lot!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Admiral

California, Alaska, and Hawaii have a lot of quake but the aren't large enough to even notice. The plates are always moving. The biggest quake I have been in was Loma Prieta 6.9 there is quite a difference in size as the quake gets bigger. Here is a link to information about the Loma Prieta quake, http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...1989_10_18.php
BTW the World Series was on Oakland A's V San Francisco Giants the game was about to start so there were not as many people on the freeway. Baseball save a lot of lives that day. The Loma Prieta Earthquake killed 63 people most on the Cypress (double decker freeway) which colapsed. This quake happened 10/17/89 my hubby's 21 birthday.
Cypress 580 freeway

Bay Bridge

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Some people here did feel the quake, I slept through it. Was a shaking feeling...Very weird.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Default Earthquakes!

It is not widely known that the largest quake in recorded history was in the midwest. California has lots of smaller ones with a large jolt like 1989, causing major problems. If my history is correct the midwest quake I read about changed the path of the Mississippi river. Mike
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Two of the officers I work with here at Ft Leavenworth, Kansas, which sits on the Missouri River, felt the quake this morning. One from Australia said it felt as though someone was at the foot of his bed shaking it. I live another 5 mi west and south of the Post but we didn't feel anything.
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Earthquakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike
It is not widely known that the largest quake in recorded history was in the midwest. California has lots of smaller ones with a large jolt like 1989, causing major problems. If my history is correct the midwest quake I read about changed the path of the Mississippi river. Mike
That is odd cause I don't widely know that in fact the top 10 earthquakes in the world Alaska is on that list three times and is the only US state on the list. In fact the Alaskan earthquake of 1964 was larger then the Sumatra Earthquake. There are less people living in Alaska at this time so this earthquake and tsunami took 128 lives (tsunami 113, earthquake 15). Sumatra Earthquake was more damaging to human life. The resulting tsunami killed more people then the quake. If you are ever near the ocean after an earthquake and the ocean recedes, run for high ground cause a tsunami is coming.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...gest_world.php

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike
I think I found the quake you are refering to it happened in 1811 and contuined to 1812. Number seven on this list. The measuring equipment wasn't as good as it is now there were a series of earthquakes (aftershocks).
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...largest_us.php

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Hey Beenie how is this for Strange? Today is the anniversity of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNG71080TG.DTL

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Default EARTHQUAKE

I AM IN ST. LOUIS AND I WAS AWAKE WHEN THE EARTHQUAKE HIT. IT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. I COULD TELL THAT MY HOUSE SHOOK. THEN WE HAD A AFTER SHOOK ABOUT 10;15 BUT I WAS WAITING ON A CUSTOMER AND DIDN'T FEEL ANYTHING. MY COWORKERS SAID THEY FELT IT.
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Captain

Beenie:

I was at work this morning here in Eastern Indiana and felt absolutely nothing with the original quake. However, I did get rocked awake by the aftershock at 11:15 am this morning ( I work nights and sleep during the day).

What has always struck me as odd with the quakes even when I was living in Calif' is how even a couple miles can make a difference in how much people feel it. Often times one side of of a city will feel it much more strongly than the other..which is what I experienced this morning.
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
First Mate

I slept through the first one early this morning, but certainly did feel the aftershock at 10:15 this morning. The first one woke Priscilla up.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Thankfully there was only minor damage and most importantly, no loss of life.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Admiral

I was looking at the map and you got another after shock 2.7. Friday, April 18, 2008 at 10:05:52 PM at epicenter. That is a small one so you may not have felt it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I think I found the quake you are refering to it happened in 1811 and contuined to 1812. Number seven on this list. The measuring equipment wasn't as good as it is now there were a series of earthquakes (aftershocks).
Yeah, the 1811 New Madrid quake was a bear, but very few people know or talk about it because, again, that part of the world was sparsely populated back then, so not that many people were affected. But, yes, by many reports, it actually caused the Mississippi to flow backwards for a time, all clocks stopped, everything that was standing up fell down. Naturally, Dr. Richter hadn't been born yet, so the strength of the quake had to estimated via anecdotal reports.

And, of course, the New Madrid fault is still there, still capable of doing as much damage as anything on the west coast, but very few people, including many who live practially on top of it, know anything about it. Just like most people don't know that a fault runs through the Back Bay of Boston.
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Kat I didn't feel either of them. My house must be sitting on shock absorbers or something. This second aftershock was 4 point something... but I missed it too. I was out talking to my neighbor last night and he said it scared the doody out of him and his wife. He said he felt the aftershock too. I probably should look in to getting quake insurance again since I think it got dropped when we changed to different homeowners insurance company. The New Madrid Fault is not too far from here, and the last earthquake I can recall around here was sometime around 1985, with little activity prior to that for several decades. This might be sign, and then again it might not.

If we get "the big one" I don't want to get stuck. Earthquake insurance is very cheap around here.
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
First Mate

Believe it or not, the quake was felt quite distinctly at our house 20 miles north of Nashville, TN. My wife and son were both awakened by it, but I have slept so many nights in moving vehicles that I would have slept through it had they not rousted me. Apparently it lasted about 15 seconds here.
If a tornado ever strikes, I will probably die in my sleep.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Beenie I had a co-worker that didn't feel the Loma Prieta 6.9 earthquake. It's up to you on the quake insurance it's a bit over priced out here. I lived on or near the Hayward fault for many years and I never had quake insurance. Another friend of mine moved here from in Southern California and he was in his parents house partial collapsed. He said it was the big bear quake. This is what a 6.9 quake looks like.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just was reading in our Sunday paper, that this earthquake was a wake up call. We here in the midwest don't really know the first thing about what to do in an earthquake...I sure don't.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Just was reading in our Sunday paper, that this earthquake was a wake up call. We here in the midwest don't really know the first thing about what to do in an earthquake...I sure don't.
Here is a earthquake preparedness test.
http://dev.trevco.net/quakeinfo/preptest.html
and a link to earthquake information.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/2005/15/

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Admiral

I think one of the most important thing in understanding the power of earthquakes is to have a basic understanding of how the Richter scale works. Most people tend to think of it as a straight linear scale, where a 6 might be about a third worse than a 4.

Not even close. The Richter scale is a logrithmic scale at log 10. Those of us who have vague memories of our high school or college math might remember that this has a tremendous compounding effect on the numbers. I just looked it up, and because it's a log scale, and because of the way Richter's formula works, an increase of one whole number yields an increase in energy released of 31x. An increase of two whole nuimbers yields an increase in energy of about 1000x. So a 5 on the Richter scale is 31 times worse than a 4, and a 6 is 1000 times worse than a 4.

That's a big deal, and it's why those decimal numbers take on far, far more importance than on a linear scale. Don't be fooled by what seems to be small numbers.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Earthquake !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
I called my sister about 45 minues away in Champaign and she said it woke her up from a dead sleep and "wiggled" her house a bit. She sounded really relieved and happy that we had an earthquake. A few days ago a friend of hers had passed away after a long battle with cancer and Sis had spent yesterday at the funeral. My sister claims to be a frequent victim of visitations of displaced souls who have passed on, she thought that her friend had visited to say her final goodbyes before passing over to the other side by shaking her bed and rattling the glasses in her china cabinet and was very relieved to hear it was an earthquake and not a haunting.
Does your sister happen to be Mrs Odd Thomas? (from a Dean Koontz Fan)

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Doug to be honest everyone in our family is a little "odd" lol. But anyway, I guess we had another 4.5 aftershock in the middle of the night again last night. I called the insurance dude to ask him about adding earthquake coverage. He said it's only about $80 per year, but we have to wait 30 days from Friday's event to add it. I told him once 30 days is up to go ahead and add it on. Hopefully we won't get hit by "the big one" before then, knock on wood!
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Doug to be honest everyone in our family is a little "odd" lol. But anyway, I guess we had another 4.5 aftershock in the middle of the night again last night. I called the insurance dude to ask him about adding earthquake coverage. He said it's only about $80 per year, but we have to wait 30 days from Friday's event to add it. I told him once 30 days is up to go ahead and add it on. Hopefully we won't get hit by "the big one" before then, knock on wood!
That's a good price. What is your deductible?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Admiral

I think its either $250 or $500, can't remember to be honest. But I know it isn't more than $500. It's through Farm Bureau.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
My family too!

For those who don't know, Odd Thomas is a character in a series of novels by Dean Koontz who can see the dead who are yet to pass to the "other side". Elvis was his constant companion in the three books, until Odd convinced him that he should not be ashamed to face his late mother. At the end of the third, Frank Sinatra had joined him. (Disclaimer: The above has not revealed even a tiny part of the plot of the three novels.)

The insurance business sucks. It was in today's Atlantic City Press that a major insurance company whose name has a reference to agriculture is not renewing homeowner's policies on NJ's barrier islands despite the fact that we have not had a major storm since 1962 and we are shielded from most direct hits by North Carolina's bulging out into the Atlantic (storms tend to bounce off and curve up towards New England). I live inland so I am probably safe from cancellation.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I think its either $250 or $500, can't remember to be honest. But I know it isn't more than $500. It's through Farm Bureau.
That is a much better deal then we get out here. Plus I moved to Sacramento area and there are not major faults over here. If the bay area has a quake we will feel it but not enough to do damage. Unless it's a 9.5 quake. See Sacramento empty no earthquakes. 8)

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Captain

It woke me up, i'm about 50 miles outside of st. louis and I thought we were having a thunderstorm with out the sound & lightning just the rumble.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas