CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Paul..I VEHEMENTLY Disagree With Your Latest Article About (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/350349-paul-i-vehemently-disagree-your-latest-article-about.html)

venice April 23rd, 2008 10:06 PM

Paul..I VEHEMENTLY Disagree With Your Latest Article About

the full charter Smooth Jazz Cruises...they are boring, full of fellow passengers that would prefer to just listen to great jazz 24-7..you are forced to interact with the greatest jazz musicians in the world...you can't hang out at the pool without hearing that darn music..the ship forces you to stay up every night until the wee hours listening to great all star jam sessions (an in my case I had the chance of a lifetime to sing with Patti Austin and have Boney James and Brian Culbertson be my back up players) ..you are forced to bond with 2400 jazz lovers and all you do is talk jazz and dance to great music every night and you are forced to pay a premiuim to do this

you would NEVER catch me on any of these full charter smooth jazz cruisers and how dare you spread the best kept secret about cruising if you love music
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
other then that it was a great article LOL LOL ..for balance you should also indicate that there are several other jazz cruiser promoters but LLC is the leader

thanks for outing my passion...I'll have to speak to your Boss Kuki about assigning you to go on a cruise to Goose Bay Labador

Mike M April 23rd, 2008 11:11 PM

It was a good article.

One thing though. Kuki's the boss??????????? rofl rofl

Take care,
Mike

Marc April 24th, 2008 07:47 AM

Paul, why didn't you mention my Jazz Cruise on the Regent Seven Seas Voyager next month. Here are the particulars.

Quote:

Spotlight on Jazz

Classic jazz fills the ship during this sailing on Seven Seas Voyager.

Five of the world's leading jazz musicians take to the stage on Seven Seas Voyager in a series of performances that celebrate the intimate music of a sophisticated jazz club when we feature a Spotlight on Jazz. John "Bucky" Pizzarelli is one of the greatest jazz guitarists of all time; together with clarinetist Ken Peplowski (an artistic descendant of Benny Goodman), bassist Nicki Parrott, drummer Chuck Redd and pianist Johnny Varro, we have a quintet perfectly constructed to take us on an excursion through the history of jazz. The Spotlight is on classic jazz on this swinging sailing aboard Seven Seas Voyager!
Just because there aren't 2400 jazz afficianados onboard (ship only holds 700) doesn't mean you can't include this cruise with some great entertainment.

venice April 24th, 2008 08:01 AM

Marc..in fairness to Paul..the focus of his article was about LLC and it's owner(actually the owner's Mom) who was the first to create the current format..My Mom went on the Norway back in the early 90's when NCL did the format and she still talks about that cruise

The concept is so popular that there are several variation..Marc the Jazz Cruise on Seven Seas that you are on is AWESOME and is the natural evolution of the concept

What amazes me is that the cost of these full charter Jazz cruises is not cheap (at least 40% above the rack rate), yet they sell out without discounting and has a very high repeat business...because I enjoy them so much I had to make the painful decision to cruise every other year instead of every year, but it is well worth it IMHO..of course my BF who is my cruise buddy.would rather cruise every year

venice April 24th, 2008 08:10 AM

Paul alluded to it in his article..but IMHO, the great appeal of these cruises is that you have the opportunity to interact with your favorite Jazz artist up close and personal..to hear them on a CD or see them in concert at a venue is one thing, to have dinner with the artist and his/her family, play ping pong with one, go to a fan club CD signing, hang out on a shore excursion is another level

also the nightly impromptu jam sessions are priceless

but more to the point, any full charter theme cruise is going to be awesome because the entire ship (guest, crew) are focused on that one theme

Marc April 24th, 2008 08:37 AM

Venice, good point about the differences of a full charter. I expect that a large number of the pax on Voyager will board not even knowing that this is a jazz cruise.

mehawk April 24th, 2008 06:24 PM

By the way Venice... I believe Paul is the boss :-?

venice April 24th, 2008 06:57 PM

Mehawk..I knew that..I was just busting Paul's chops :rofl::rofl:

Marc..I'm sure that the cruise line will make sure everyone knows before hand..the beauty of your cruise is that the design is to take interested guest thru the history and evolution of what we know as Jazz in an informal format which I think is an awesome idea with a small but world class Jazz musicians from each era...if I could afford it, I be on that one with you...if you google the musicians you can listen to their music before hand

Paul Motter April 30th, 2008 12:39 PM

In all honesty, when I talked to JazzCruisesLLC I asked Michael Lazaroff why the cruise lines and charter companies like his don't do more to contact the press and tell us about these great music events.

This was the first time I had been contacted by a music cruise company, though I have often contacted them myself and have been on music cruises. They are GREAT - just far better than anyone would ever even expect.

You have to experience one to really get it, I believe.

venice April 30th, 2008 10:50 PM

so true, so true

sue May 1st, 2008 10:40 AM

I hate Jazz...and opera music..they are the same...

msblackjack May 1st, 2008 12:22 PM

personally I am waiting for a full charter MUisZac charter cruise rofl

(not really - that elevator music would drive me overboard; that would be my personal version of Hades)

Paul Motter May 1st, 2008 01:11 PM

I can't think of two styles of music more diametrically polar opposites than jazz and freeform.

Opera is always based on classical modes (major or minor), every note is written out, and the rhythm is generally a straight-ahead 4|4 or 3|4 with no syncopation or swing. The emphasis is almost always on the vocalist who is given no freedom to experiment. The vocal charts often contain scales and intervals that resemble more of a strict vocal excercise rather than picking notes for their expressive or emotive value. The communication is in the lyrics more so than in the music.

Jazz is 90+percent improvization by vocalists and players alike, they use all kinds of modalities from blues scales to modes common to foreign styles of music. It is often up-tempo and usually has a syncopated "swing" component to the rhythm, meters include unusual combinations such a 5|4 or 7|8. The choice of notes is about feeling and expression in the performance, as if the instruments are talking to you.

In all honesty, I used to like jazz more than I do now. I was a big fan of Miles Davis and the 60s and 70s style. The new smooth jazz is not exactly my thing, though I "get it."

venice May 1st, 2008 09:11 PM

Paul..you never cease to amaze me..if you are coming to New Orleans for BLOG2NOLA next Feb...we can hang out late at both Preservation Hall (Dixie Land Jazz from the 20's and 30's) and Snug Harbor and check out Ellis Marsalis and Leah Chase singing jazz vocals that will remind you of Ella Fitgerald...Your wife and Melody can hang out on Bourbon Street

Paul Motter May 5th, 2008 06:49 PM

great news

jazzcruisesllc.com

(that is the Jaazz Cruise Company) has agreed to let us run a jazz-cruise contest - we get to give away a free cruise on the Dave Koz cruise.

venice May 5th, 2008 09:27 PM

Paul...you are THE MAN 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Dave Koz host a great cruise...tell us more

venice May 6th, 2008 05:24 AM

Paul....if CM arrange for our cabin...Mean Dean and I would gladly "sacrifice" and go on the Dave Koz cruise as "special virtual live daily reporters" to document the cruise for everyone "rofl"