Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default A Shining Star on Pennsylvania Avenue

At 6th and Pennsylvania here in Washington, about halfway between the White House and the Capitol, across from the National Gallery of Art, and a block down from the National Archives, stands the brand new Newseum, a museum devoted to the history and practice of journalism. It's been open for about two weeks, and has created an absolute sensation here in town.

This is not a Smithsonian museum. Even though I love the Smithsonian--Air and Space, National Gallery, the new Indian Museum, Natural History, the Sculpture Garden and all the others--for me the Newseum will have a permanent place in the pantheon of great things to do in this city.

On the facade of the marvelous contemporary building, facing Pennsylvania Avenue is a 74-foot-tall marble tablet, inscribed with the 45 words that, in my opinion, should mean as much to Americans as the flag:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

And yet, according to Paul Sparrow, the vice president of the Newseum, who took us through on an insightful personal once-over the other day, not one in ten Americans can begin to list the freedoms granted in that magnificent statement. The facade is lighted at night, so that even Presidents on the way to deliver the State of the Union have the opportunity to read the First Amendment, if they care to.

I cannot begin to tell you of the power of this place. Every turn is full of surprises and jaw-dropping amazement. Imagine riding in a huge glass elevator and rising past eight 12-foot sections of the original Berlin Wall, plus an East German guard tower. Then, as the elevator continues, you pass a charred and twisted piece of wreckage--from the top of the World Trade Center. At the top of the building you leave the elevator and begin to work your way down. It could easily take two days to see it all. It is beyond belief, and as inspirational a place as I've seen in years.

With Terry and me on our tour was my old friend Bob Dotson of NBC News and his wife, and we four vowed that we would get together again and spend the time necessary to really see the place.

Afterward, Bob and I went to work on the CINE documentary film awards show that we did in the large theater in the Newseum that evening. I wrote the show and was one of the producers; Bob was the emcee. I must say that it really was a privilege to be deeply involved in one of the first "events" at that glistening new showplace. We had many wonderful people in attendance, and it came off very well. It was the 50th Anniversary CINE Awards show, and having it at the Newseum showed that "everything old is new again."

Come to our wonderful city and see this wonderful place.

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Sounds like a wonderful road trip for my son (communications/international studies major) and I!
How was your visit with Cooter?
Angela Z.
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Z.
Sounds like a wonderful road trip for my son (communications/international studies major) and I!
How was your visit with Cooter?
Angela Z.
Yes, I would think it would be very difficult to tear a student with that major away from the place.

Cooter was great, super-nice guy. His back was acting up so he had to leave early, but we all agreed to get together again. I hope we do. Very outgoing, very unassuming, and thoroughly enjoyable. I'd love to kick back with him with some bbq and beer.
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Admiral

AR,
Thanks for the review. We will be in Washington next October for a meeting and will make a point of seeing the Newseum. Last time we saw the new Udvar Hazy addition to Air and Sapce at Dulles. That was wonderful too!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Admiral

I saw it in my travels last month.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: A Shining Star on Pennsylvania Avenue

Cool - been so busy with my scout kiddos that I missed the news of this. This ol' J-School grad (Cal Poly '80) will have a look next time in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
At 6th and Pennsylvania here in Washington, about halfway between the White House and the Capitol, across from the National Gallery of Art, and a block down from the National Archives, stands the brand new Newseum, a museum devoted to the history and practice of journalism. It's been open for about two weeks, and has created an absolute sensation here in town.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas