Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Default Favorite Cruise Memory: What's yours?

I'm trying to convince a large group of friends and some family to go on a cruise. They think it'll never stand up against the trip we took to Disney and Epcot or the time we piled into a condo in Aspen(...and played cards all week because the conditions were too bad to ski!)

Anybody have any great memories they can share that will help me in my battle? Best cruise moments as evidence?
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One memory that stands out in my mind, was on the Cruisemates Celebrity New Years Eve Cruise. We were having a surprise 65th anniversary party onboard for one of this istes favorite couples. Ray & Helen

It was at our big party that we surprised them with a beautiful gift of a stunning Italian glass candle holders. One Cruisemate, Paul, wrote a beautiful poem for them, and Rollerdonna, put together a puzzle of ships

It was a moment indeed. So many of us meeting for the first time... People on this board who were not even cruising, donating to the gift for the happy couple...Their reaction and emotional thanks was priceless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Now , on the other end of the spectrum:) Many may not know, that for many years now, I have this running joke, of designing funny theme thongs, for our own Kuki. He has a formal, a Hawaiin,a gambling, and a fur lined one, to name just a few, all handcrafted, by me, for his cruises:) Go make some memories for your group:):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Admiral

lots of really great memories but 2 stand out

- sailing out of Venice Italy at sunset in the early fall of 2002 on the Olympia Explorer
..Everyone is on deck while we silently sail past the entrance to the Grand Canal with all of the gondolas tied up....no one says a word as we just enjoyed the beauty of the most incredible romantic city on earth and knowing that we were sailing to Istanbul and Athens...it was a magic moment that only a cruise can provide

the very first night on the Conquest on a Smooth Jazz Cruise in November 2005 (right after Katrina)..the main showroom was packed with 1500 smooth jazz fans waiting for the opening act to start..everyone from all over the world with different backgrounds but brought together in one place, on one ship, for one reason...the room was electric and the best part was there would be 6 more nights of great jazz and 6 more days of cruising and eating and laughing and just relaxing..can't beat it

point being, there is nothing like your very first sunset,your first meal in the dining area, your very first evening of entertainment, your very first night on board your very first cruise
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

July 2000 on the Norwegian Dream Baltic Capitals cruise....we were in the North Sea and the wind was blowing and howling and my then 11 year old son and I were up on the top deck trying to walk against the wind and just laughing til we cried...it was 11pm and not dark out....I think this is my favorite cruise memory.
Angela Z.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Admiral

I share one of Trip's best memories, the Surprise 65th Anniversary party for Ray & Helen aboard the Celebrity Century. It was so much fun to finally meet all my CM friends, and a pleasure to do something special for a couple as nice as Ray & Helen.
I also remember singing a song I had written, to the tune of Sloop John B by the Beach Boys, but with a CruiseMates theme!

Another great memory for me was meeting and becoming friends with entertainer Bert Stratton onboard the Caribbean Princess in 2006, and just last week, and having him dedicate and sing a song just for me.

There are a million other memories, including wonderful beaches, fun sail away parties, exemplary meals, fun onboard activities, the moonlight on the water from one's balcony, and sunshiney days at sea.

Puravida, you have GOT to convince your friends to cruise!

donna
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Admiral

My favorite had to be the sailaway on the first cruise from Port Everglades on the Enchantment of the Seas. We returned the waves from the folks on shore as we went out of the channel to the ocean. It was a thrill watching the Caribbean Princess pull out close behind us and follow us out to sea.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Admiral

You can use other people's experiences as bait if you want to, but please remember this:

If your friends and relatives think that a cruise will pale in comparison to other vacations they've taken, there's a good chance that--for them--it will. People have different views of the world, and if you manage to pull this off, you have to accept the possibility that their prior attitudes will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, they may not enjoy it.

Becoming a pied piper for cruising (or anything else) has its risks. We've cruised with lots of friends and family over the years, but we've never even tried to twist anybody's arm to go.

I think you should consider this issue carefully.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

My very first cruise years ago, waking up in Carribean and looking out of my window. It absolutely took my breath away, after that I was seriously hooked.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Being upgraded from an oceanview cabin to a penthouse suite with balcony on our cruise on Carnival Fantasy. We booked a specific cabin, not a guaruntee and were shocked when we checked in to find out about the upgraded.
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Admiral

This might sound of corny--but for me its been finally meeting the some of the people that I have seen posting on the cruise boards----and how special they have become to me-------- truely unique friendships have been made.
Ray and Helen are a fantastic couple---and I too can say I was there for the surpise anniversary-----.
Cheers
April
ok so the ships arent too bad either--and the colorful ocean is breath taking too-----
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Familiar Face

my favorite memory is when we went on the RC line and just sat in the adult only area and read and relax and had no phones ringing in my ear---peace and quite--also being able to do what i want when i want without any one rushing me or saying hurry --as all of us know that is how our lives are now hurry up and wait--this is the only time that i can just relax and appreciate life----the beautiful beaches in Mexico and the Jeep ride that we took----so much fun--- if i don't have a cruise booked by january every year i actually think i cruise withdrawal-- we have been 5 times in 5 years and i can't wait for the next-----you can do as much as you want or as little as you want--we dressed up formal night on 2 and then the others we just ate at the windjammer on deck --no dress up just casual---- and to thing that i don't have to clean after myself and family for a week--great way to get away------love love love a cruise
kathy
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Beginner

these all sound like amazing experiences, just the kind of things that will "turn the tide" ....but it doesn't seem like any of them were on Carnival...that's the one we were going to take...???
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Honestly, with cruising, you can just fill in the __________!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 1st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Admiral

Puravida, we have done 6 Carnival cruises, and still believe they are the best value for the money. some have been great, others, well, I missed the sail away party, some have them, some don't, but the entertainment has always been fabulous, and the food good enough for me. As for fun, well, FUN is Carnival's middle name!

donna
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My favorite memory was taking Patty on the "Glory B" cruise. We went on our first CM group. Meeting fellow CM members was fantastic. Patty , for those that do not know her is a woman with developmental disabilities that I took care of. Watching her joy and wonder at everything was priceless and most precious to me.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

My favorite memory occred on our first cruise on the Seven Seas Mariner. It was New Year's Eve. Before dinner, they had a party in the theater. They had a number of "door prizes." We didn't win the free cruise but my father won a bottle of champagne and Arlene won a bottle of Dom. After dinner with new friends and a great show, we celebrated New Year's Eve in the Atrium. Champage was flowing, chocolate everywhere, and all the caviar you wanted. We had been on board 12 days already so the crew knew all the passengers. It was magical for both the crew and the passengers. After celebrating New Years, we went back to the lounge for dancing in high seas. The celebration continued the following morning when the Captain announced that we would need to spend 48 hours in Key West for repairs. We lost a sea day, added an extra port, received $600 per person, had open bar for the last week of the cruise, and got to have two overnights in Key West docked right in Mallory Square. It was quite a cruise.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Admiral

The ton of fun!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

The ton of fun!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM
First Mate

AR is probably right, so use the soft-sell. If your "prospects" have already seen a sunset or a sunrise with no land in sight, and if they do not care about meeting people from other parts of the world, they may not find cruising as exciting as we do. After all, most of the other things people do on cruises [gambling, drinking, dancing, karaoke, bingo, art auctions, stage shows, piano bars, hanging out by the pool] can be done on land.
But you might point out that most of those things are included in the price of the cruise, and you don't have to drive across town to do them.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10