Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Default Boris Godunov

has anyone ever attended an opera in Europe ? how do they translate an opera so that I could understand it (remember I took Latin when I was an alter boy)
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Admiral

An opera in Europe?
I thought you were talking about the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show!!

donna
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Venice,

Most operas are in Italian (if I remember right), so if you know Latin fairly well, you should have no trouble with Italian.

In fact, 50% of Italian is Latin

It's a shame our schools don't teach kids Latin -- for if they did, the kids would understand the Romance languages much better; and understand English much better as well.

Dean
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Some of the big opera houses use surtitles, but the trick is, the surtitles are usually in the language of the country you're in, so that's no help unless you speak the language of your host country.

Opera lovers (and I am not one) tell me that if you need a translation you're an opera rookie and probably shouldn't be there in the first place. The die hards know the English librettos cold, so it doesn't make any difference to them what language it's being sung in, or what language the surtitles are in.

I have hysterical memories of being more or less dragged to see Faust in Leningrad in 1974. Sung in Russian, no surtitles. After the overture the curtain rose, Faust strode to a huge globe, pointed to it and sang "Nyet!!"

We were traveling with friends, and my friend Paul and I looked at each other and we both got the giggles. Our wives were ready to kill us. There was nothing that was sung or done that didn't make us giggle more. It is a five act opera. Others told me the last four acts were lovely. Paul and I were in the bar across the street. We toasted every act. Several times.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Admiral

One of my great dreams when I return to Venice is to go to the Teatro La Fenice (it was still in the process of being rebuilt after the fire when I was there in 2002) and see a production..I understand you can rent a device that translate into English thru headphones, the Opera and I was just curious if any CM'ers knew about this

My parents insisted that I take Latin in school for two reasons ...my Dad indicated it would help my writing ..and it was required if you wanted to be an alter boy (goes to show you how old I am)...of course when the Mass was switched to English it became academic..of course it is helpful to have the Latin background since I have grown to love Venice, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have learned Spanish

I forgot about the evil characters in Rocky and Bullwinkle...I wonder if there is a connection
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
An opera in Europe?
I thought you were talking about the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show!!

donna
Me too

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Sure there's a connection. The Russian bad guy in Rocky, Boris Badinov, was an obvious twist on Boris Goudinov.

You'll love the Fenice. As I said, I'm not an opera fan but I am a theater fan. I literelly "collect" theaters and am desperately in love with the best of them all over the world. We visited the Fenice in late 2006. Couldn't catch a performance, but they have a very good self-guided audio tour of the place during the day. They did a terrific job with the restoration, despite being in Italy, and I think you'll agree that this place is in the top rank of beautiful theaters. Our friend Bryan played a benefit concert there shortly before we visited (piano) and he confirms that the acoustics match the beauty.

I would also like to return to La Scala. We got a box for a ballet there shortly before the restoration began. It was still a stunning place (although a bit threadbare), so I imagine the restored version must be a jaw-dropper. It was very cool to have a box at La Scala all to ourselves. Just amazing.