Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Captain

Default SouthWest

Does anyone know why Southwest has such cheap airfair? There want to get away is so much cheaper than the other flights and airlines? Is there a catch. It is a guaranteed flight right?

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I've flown Southwest a lot because of the cheaper flights. Have not had the problems as on other airlines. But, I call SW the cattle call of airlines, get 'em on and get em out!! Basically, they are a to the point airline - no frills!!!
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Also, when you book a flight, you don't get an assigned seat. Its basically first come, first serve when it comes to getting your seat on the plane. You just get in line at the gate and pick a seat when you board.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Captain

Default Re: SouthWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhearty1
Does anyone know why Southwest has such cheap airfair? There want to get away is so much cheaper than the other flights and airlines? Is there a catch. It is a guaranteed flight right?
I don't know if I just book going to the wrong places, bad timing or what, but I've just never been able to catch a significantly lower price on SWA. I'm not sure how much lower they could be since you can fly many airlines coast to coast round trip for under 300 bucks if you book ahead of time. Just remember with SWA you may have to make up to 3 stops or so along the way and that is part of the reason, I think, they can do somewhat lower fares at times. I've got a feeling those cheap fares are going to be ending industry wide here soon though.

I have flown SWA and sort of like the first come first serve seating. Also, at least at one time, they were known for their great customer service especially over the phone. They were known for always answering and not putting anyone on hold but I'm not sure if they still do this or not.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Captain

I got 2 one way tickets for $95.00 each, it was at least $50.00 per ticket cheaper each and its direct flight, no layovers.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Southwest, Allegiant Air, and USA 300 are one of the few decently priced carriers around. Yeah, no assigned seat but hey, I am easy going especially for a direct flight.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Southwest pretty much invented the "discount" airline. Their business plan involved a tacit "pact" with the customer that went something like this: "We'll get you there cheaply, safely and reasonably on time. But you may have to change planes once or twice. In return you promise not to ***** that you don't get a seat assignment, food or coddling. You're just renting a seat for a couple hours, you're not marrying it, so get over it.
Do we understand each other?"

Well, the "contract" worked, and people were willing to accept a lower standard of service in return for cheaper fares. Southwest prospered, and their business plan was imitated by others such as jetBlue and AirTran. All are perfectly good airlines, as long as you understand the "deal."

Ironically, now the major legacy airlines have lowered service standards to remain competitive on fares, so it's often hard to tell them apart. Fares are more and more similar, so is service, and since fuel now accounts for 40% of the cost of every ticket, prices will continue to rise and be more and more similar for all airlines.

But yes, of course you get a confirmed seat on Southwest, you just don't get to choose it ahead of time. So get to the airport early.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Southwest does not fly from Boston, not a problem really, since I am equidistant to the Rhode Island, Green Aiport.

I have tried to use them in yrs past, but I really need a bulkhead seat, and don't want to chance not getting one..

If you have ever watched the A& E show Airline, you can see their customer service problems, and how they are handled. Sometimes I want to hand the employees, some valium.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM
First Mate

Yikes....I'm travelling on SW for the first time on Saturday....thought it might be a mistake looking at this subject.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I have tried to use them in yrs past, but I really need a bulkhead seat, and don't want to chance not getting one..
It's absolutely none of my business, but if you're willing to say, why do you need a bulkhead seat? I only ask because SeatGuru marks Southwest bulkhead seats as yellow, which is moderately undesirable. They point out that like all bulkhead seats there is no storage available in front of you. They also note that the bins above the bulkhead seats are used for equipment storage and are also unavailable. Finally, they note that like on all 737's configured for all coach, the seats in the front few rows, including the bulkhead seats, are signficantly narrower than the seats in the rest of the plane. This is because the way the fuselage curves inward as you get up toward the cockpit. With a first class section you can finesse this because you're only putting four seats across instead of six. With an all coach configuration like Southwest, you have to reduce the seat width.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKMM
Yikes....I'm travelling on SW for the first time on Saturday....thought it might be a mistake looking at this subject.
It's not a mistake. Go take your flight and be happy. Quit worrying.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Admiral

to add to AR's point..when Southwest first started the major carriers did not take them seriously and thought that no one would be willing to make multiple stops cross country, that business travelers would not fly Southwest because of seat assignments, meals etc..and heaven forbid, an airplane could not be turned in less then 30 minutes ground time..The CEO at that time for Southwest Herb k., used the trunk carriers arrogance to rally his employees to success...Southwest also has, by airline standards, a good working relationships with their unions

If Southwest were going to be a start up today, the major carriers would take them very seriously and not allow them to become entrenched, like Southwest did

Also, Southwest stayed pretty true to their core mission and did not become greedy in trying to grow or be like the "big boys"..one fleet type, an entrench company culture,,,,the Southwest model is studied at major business schools across the country

Herb is a pretty sharp guy
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Admiral

I've flown SWA many times. It has been my experience that they very rarely depart or arrive on time. My last flight departed 2 1/2 hours late and the return flight departed 1 1/2 hour late and this was not the first time. They will get you there and back but no telling what time.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Admiral

I have never had major issues with Southwest. When the kids were little I actually preferred Southwest because they allowed people with small children to preboard, Trip they also allow people with special needs to board first, I would think that since your issue is probably medical in nature, that would apply to you, so you could pick the seat of your choice.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
First Mate

whew....thanks for the info
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Captain

The only thing that I was realy afraid of was that it wouldn't be a confirmed flight, that I might get bumped to another later flight which might make me miss the cruise. But if my cheap airfair is only the meal and no assigned seat and maybe a little late then I can live with that. My flight is due to come into Ft. Lauderdale 4 hours before cruising so I should be fine even if it runs late right?

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Well its hard to say, but you'll probably be fine.The bonus is that FLL is very close to the port. The one thing I have enjoyed about Southwest in the past is that when I have needed to change to an earlier flight they usually try very hard to accomodate my needs with little or no extra charge. Did you consider calling them to see if you can get an earlier flight, or if that is all that is available. I have had pretty good luck with them.
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Captain

That was the earliest flight. I think we'll be fine, at least I hope. It due to arrive at 1:00 don't sail until 5:00 and from what everyone says it doesn't take long to get to the cruise port from the airport.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

They never seem to be flying to or from where I am going. I used to do great with Delta.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Admiral

I have flown SWA a lot, and never had a problem. They have changed their boarding method. You can now print your boading pass, on-line, 24 hours prior to flight. At the gate, they have you "line" up according to number. You still have the option to select any seat available.

Regarding the show "Airline," I'm afraid I would have to hurt some of those passengers! The SWA staff show way more control than I would want to display!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Admiral

SWA is hard to beat for reliability and price. Have flown SWA around a hundred flights and only had luggage lost once for one hour. Biggest flight delay was about one hour. Watch for their specials, be flexible on your flight dates and by all means print your boarding pass online unless you are fond of middle seats. Folks with kiddos and who need assistance still board first.

How did SWA beat the other airlines on price? Good fuel price hedging some years back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
I have flown SWA a lot, and never had a problem. They have changed their boarding method. You can now print your boading pass, on-line, 24 hours prior to flight. At the gate, they have you "line" up according to number. You still have the option to select any seat available.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Captain

Southwest tickets for 1 way from St Louis to Ft. Lauderdale was $95.00 each compaired to delta at $155.00. But returning it was $209.00 so cheaper to go with another on the way back.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Depends on your dates and routing. Since SWA affords you the luxury of visiting so many fine airports, always check to see if an SWA flight to an airport on the way + an SWA flight from that airport to your city is less. Sometimes SWA from FLL to Tampa then Tampa to SAT was cheaper than SWA FLL to SAT. You just have to comb the schedules to make your own custom flight.

Quote:
Southwest tickets for 1 way from St Louis to Ft. Lauderdale was $95.00 each compaired to delta at $155.00. But returning it was $209.00 so cheaper to go with another on the way back.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

I've been flying SWA for years. Great airline really. And the staff is much more fun and relaxed than other airlines.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Captain

Well its great to know that I don't have anything to worry about then. This is the first time that I booked airfare separate for a vacation. Always got it included. Just couldn't see paying more for someone to do it for me.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Admiral

If you always booked with your line, you may also have had luggage pulling and transfers. However, post 911 luggage pulling to the bus has gone the way of the bridge tour. You will need to make your own arrangement to get from the plane to the ship, so you might ask around for suggestions - cabs, shuttles, or sometimes the lines offer transfers (for a fee) without booking their flight. One suggestion - don't book the last flight out - do the next-to-last flight in case of cancellation or delay, or arrive the night before (preferable).

Quote:
Well its great to know that I don't have anything to worry about then. This is the first time that I booked airfare separate for a vacation. Always got it included. Just couldn't see paying more for someone to do it for me.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Admiral

Besides... you might want to... "Get away".

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Admiral

Unless you are leaving the graces of Texas, of course. Folks here miss the state so much they made Southwest stop in Texas twice on most flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Besides... you might want to... "Get away".
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Admiral

I just flew SWA this weekend from WPB to Long island. Divemaster, you pointed out what I was going to report. I believe SWA secured fuel contracts a while back. My RT flight cost $150. never have had one problem with SWA.