Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Default Caribbean Princess, Part 7

Caribbean Princess, Friday April 25/08

Sea Day and Champagne Day!

On this second to last Sea Day, my dear husband surprised me with a special Champagne Breakfast!
Promptly at 8am, a room service waiter arrived with no less than 6 huge covered plates, holding fresh hot omlettes, bacon, hash browns, veggie salad, fresh breakfast pastries, toast, carved fruit cup, plus another tray holding coffee, cups, glasses and an ice bucket of chilled champagne.

We set ourselves up on our balcony, balancing plates on our knees and champagne glasses on the floor, and thoroughly enjoyed our champagne breakfast at sea!

Following this feast, we spent a lazy morning on the Sun Deck, just relaxing and enjoying a wonderful day at sea.
I only took a break from the sun to play Trivia (lost again!), eat lunch, and do some shopping.

At 2:50pm, I headed for the Tradewinds Bar, Deck 16, Forward, where a group of people were meeting for the Princess "Walk for the Cure."
I had pre-registered for this event, the same one as Carnival ships are sponsoring, proceeds going to the Susan G. Kormen Foundation for research into Breast Cancer. For a $15 donation, you received a pink ribbon logo hat, and were invited to participate in the Walk.

We were met by Michael from the entertainment staff, a tiny little guy from Australia who reminded me of Davy Jones of the Monkees.
With his bright pink metallic wig, he inspired us and encouraged us all to finish the 30 laps of the jogging track, which equalled the 5 KM walk.

I didn't think I would last more than a few laps, but with the company of my new friend Pauline, and the enthusiasm of Michael, and all the people who participated, I found myself going the distance, and I was very proud to complete all 30 laps!
We couldn't have asked for a better day; the weather was beautiful, we had a lovely view from the sides and front of the ship, and the breezes off the sea were heavenly.

When we had finished our walk, all participants were treated to a beautiful fresh fruit buffet, with water and fruit juices available also. A great afternoon, for a good cause.

I needed a dip in the pool after all this, and I spent the rest of the afternoon lounging around the main pool, watching a bit of the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean".

At 5:30, I headed for the Lotus Spa, Deck 16 Forward, because my wonderful husband had treated me to a Reflexology session, perfect timing after my 30 laps around the jogging track that afternoon!
I had never visited any spa on any ship before so this was a new experience for me.
I was ushered in, shown the changing room and given a robe. After a short wait in a comfortable waiting room, and filling out some basic health information forms, I was met by the Reflexology technician, a soft-spoken Vietnamese woman.
She led me to a tiny, but serene little room, with a cushioned table, draped with brightly coloured cloth.
I was asked to lie down, and a lightly scented warm cloth was placed over my eyes.
She began by wrapping one foot up to keep it warm, while massaging the other foot with creamy lotions and oils.
She worked on every toe, and every square inch of my feet, pulling, kneading, pressing, and paying extra attention to "problem areas" related to organs in the body.
I must admit, I was so relaxed, I fell asleep!
By the time all this pampering was finished, I felt like my feet were no longer attached to my legs.
I think I floated all the way down the hall back to my aft cabin!

Once back in my cabin, it was a bit of a rush, as I had only 1/2 hour to get ready for our 2nd formal night, and the pre-dinner Repeat Passengers Cocktail Party at 7:00.
I still managed to have time to enjoy a glass of wine with my hubby on the balcony before setting off for the party.

The cocktail party was a pleasant affair in Club Fusion, with free drinks, delicious hor d'oeuvres, and live music from the great band Voltz. We were introduced to the Captain and the Hotel Manager, and special mention was made of repeat passengers who had racked up many cruises. One man was awarded a bottle of champagne for having taken 72 Princess cruises!

As soon as we left the party, we went straight to the Palm Dining Room, where we had arranged to meet Paul and Pauline for dinner. This time, we had to wait, and were given a flashing/vibrating gadget to tell us when a table became available. We only waited about 15 or 20 minutes, so it wasn't too bad.

The meal was certainly worth the wait; excellent lobster, beef wellington, delicious starters, and desserts.
Another fine meal in the Palm.

We finished dinner later than usual this evening, so we headed straight for the Princess Theatre for the final big production show "Piano Man", featuring the music of Billy Joel, Neil Sedaka, Liberace and Elton John.
It was the same show we had seen 2 years ago on Caribbean Princess, however, this time, all the principal singers could actually sing, so it was all the more enjoyable!

Following the show, at 11:00, there was the amazing and beautiful Champagne Waterfall in the atrium.

There were 750 champagne glasses stacked in a pyramid, and champagne flowed down them, filling them all, while bubble machines blew tiny bubbles all over the atrium.

Champagne and hor d'oeuvres were served to all the mingling guests, and there was music and dancing lead by the entertainment staff, until about midnight, when the party moved to Skywalkers Disco, for the Formal Night After Party.
By this time I was too exhausted for any more partying, so I headed off to bed, thinking "What a day! Champagne for breakfast, and champagne at midnight!"

donna
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm loving you review, Donna. Always a pleasure to cruise vicariously through you!

I do have a question about the Walk for the Cure---was it strictly limited to walking or were people allowed to run as well? Dh and I might like to do this when we cruise on the Valor next month, but I imagine he'll want to do some running rather than having to walk the 5K.
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Hi Kris, nice to see you posting!
Yes, you can run, walk, wheelchair, whatever. Pauline and I were passed many times by those far fitter than we were, speed walking or jogging, there was even a young couple who carried their small baby in a backpack the whole way. We might have finished last, but we had a lot of fun doing it!

donna